Evernote on Chromebook

I just purchased a Samsung Chromebook 2. The Chrome Evernote 'app', which is essentially the Android app available on the Chromebook, does not offer the merge notes or add tags features. As far as I can tell, evernote.com presently does not offer either of these features in the current or Beta versions. They are both available on my Evernote Windows Desktop Client, and I use them frequently. Does anyone know if Evernote is planning to re-introduce merge notes and add tags to the web version of evernote.com? Without them, the Chromebook cannot function as a laptop replacement for me and I will be forced to return it. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're presumably using the 'new' version of Evernote Web.  Try checking in Settings - do you have an option to go back to an 'old' version?  You should have multi-select and all the usual options there.

The only options available on the Samsung Chromebook for Evernote Web were the current version or the Beta, nothing earlier. After reading a lengthy (spanning two years) thread about scanners not connecting to Chromebooks successfully, I decided these were obstacles I could not accept, so I returned it this evening. Very sad because it was so nice in all other respects. Thank you for the help -- greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Also many times the app for the chrome browser or chromebook defaults me to signing up for a new account rather than signing in when it 'forgets' my login. I'd really like if it defaulted to sign in, since people using the app would often be signing in but would only be creating a login once. 

Looking around on the web, this seems to have been a problem for a good while.

Thanks for reading.

• 7 months later...

The date is March 3rd, 2017... Today I am working on my HP Chromebook, doing some 'spring cleaning' withing my Evernote (EN) account.   I'm trying to 'select' (merge) multiple EN 'notes' and delete.... I've tried every conceivable cntl-click, att-click, shift-click, etc.key combination, to select and merge multiple EN notes, but nothing works.  

After searching EN help, then online searching, I found this discussion.  

HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN ABLE TO PERFORM A MULTIPLE EN SELECT & MERGE USING A CHROMEBOOK (and the Evernote Web App or Chrome Store Evernote App)?

I really don't want to whine, but without multiple select & merge, it is almost impossible to quickly perform quick EN cleanup  EN Developers, are you still aware of this problem and are you still working to resolve the issue?

Thanks, 

I recently asked Evernote tech support if there were any plans to offer a true Chromebook EN app, rather than the present version, which is basically the Android app. I was told my suggestion would be passed on, but no plans at this time, so that means no "merge notes" or "add tags" features like those offered on Windows Desktop app. Also screen resolution not optimized for Chromebook. I returned the Chromebook because without these features, it cannot replace my laptop. I hope Evernote will consider a true Chromebook app with these features. I find them invaluable. 

• Level 5*

Evernote have indicated they're overhauling the web client,  and the suggested launch date for a new (possibly beta) version would be in the early months of 2017.  The last (and current) client was an attempt to update the look of the original 'classic' web client which is several years old by this point.  If you've had your account for a while,  it should still be possible to step back to the old web format - check in Settings for the option.  Multi-select is possible in the original format.

If your account is more recent,  you may have to wait for the next version sometime this year...

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2016/10/17/bringing-micro-services-to-the-client-side-project-ion-and-micro-components

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Samsung chromebook plus and I can't figure out how to record audio. I've been searching the google engine and youtube and it says look for a microphone icon or a paperclip button in the formatting bar but I don't have those options available on it.

It might be worth mentioning that even though I am able to download apps from the google play store I downloaded mine from the Chrome OS webstore (I think I said that right).

Also are there two different versions of Evernote in the Chrome OS webstore? I could've sworn I saw one with a higher rating than the other.

I attached a screenshot so it might serve as a visual cue so I can be directed on where I can go to record audio.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2017-07-01 at 11.12.06 AM.png

• Level 5

@Bye_H8er,  welcome to Evernote, and to the forums! I can see your screenshot fine. It looks similar to what I see when I use the Web version of Evernote. There's no microphone or paper clip; the only way to add an attachment is to drag it onto the note.

However, what you're describing ("a microphone icon or a paperclip button in the formatting bar") sounds more like the freestanding Evernote app or program. Attached below is a screenshot from the program on my Windows desktop. Note the microphone icon (red arrow; for recording audio) and  paper clip (green arrow; for adding attachments). That's what you're looking for. There are versions of Evernote for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and I guess Chrome OS, since you found it in the webstore. Be sure you're running the app you downloaded, not the version in the Web browser. (I know zip about Chromebooks, so I hope that actually makes sense on your machine!) Hopefully you'll see the mic icon there.

Evernote toolbar.JPG

• Like 1

So I erased Evernote on chrome (which seemed like a link to the web page as opposed to being a full-fledged application) & downloaded it from the Google Play Store instead.

I was able to record an audio note by clicking on edit note (a pen icon). From there it transferred me to another screen with more options/icons,one of them being a microphone.

My problem is I have no way of playing the recording. I click on my touchpad and it doesn't activate anything.

I attempted to attach a screen shot but a notification read the file was too large even after I cropped it in half.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If you can install from the Play store,  have a look for any other audio recording apps - I use Hi-Q MP3 recorder on my Android.  See if you can record and play with that.  If so,  the output MP3 files can be attached to Evernote notes as a work-around.  Meanwhile you can look to unblock the Evernote recording issue.  I'd suggest you reach out to Evernote Support via https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer or tweet them at https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not - I don't have a Chromebook,  so I don't know what the issue is here...

• 2 years later...

I tried installing the Evernote app from the chromestore on an HP Chromebook 14. It worked okay, but did not register my plus account status, which did not allow me to use offline notebooks - the main reason for having it on the device.

Signing out and back in did not resolve it. Nor did re-installing the app.

I then deleted the app, and installed the Android version from the Play Store. That seems to work fine.

• 8 months later...
On 6/28/2016 at 4:16 PM, promosinc said:

I just purchased a Samsung Chromebook 2. The Chrome Evernote 'app', which is essentially the Android app available on the Chromebook, does not offer the merge notes or add tags features. As far as I can tell, evernote.com presently does not offer either of these features in the current or Beta versions. They are both available on my Evernote Windows Desktop Client, and I use them frequently. Does anyone know if Evernote is planning to re-introduce merge notes and add tags to the web version of evernote.com? Without them, the Chromebook cannot function as a laptop replacement for me and I will be forced to return it. 

hi i just figuered in out you'll have to install the linux version of evernote which are either "nixnote2" or "tusk". i hope this helps :)