Am I searching correctly?

I've been trying to aggregate notes with EITHER "week20" or "week21" and I get the expected result (1st image). Every note has either a "week20" or "week21" tag.evernote.tag.jpg

However when I search EITHER (ANY) "week20" or "week21" AND

-tag:archive I get an unexpected result (image). None of parameters in image 2 follow any of my search queries.evernote.minustag.jpg

Am I doing this incorrectly? or am I asking evernote to do something it cannot?

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, garchan said:

However when I search EITHER (ANY) "week20" or "week21" AND -tag:archive

I get an unexpected result (image). None of parameters in image 2 follow any of my search queries.

Am I doing this incorrectly? or am I asking evernote to do something it cannot?

You can't do both And and Or in a search.

in fact, And and Or are not search terms; I suspect you're retrieving notes containing  and or

You might also want to use tag:weeknn 

There's a link below in my signature for the search grammar

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can't do both And and Or in a search.

in fact, And and Or are not search terms; I suspect you're retrieving notes containing  and or

You might also want to use tag:weeknn 

There's a link below in my signature for the search grammar

Hello DTLow,

I didn't actually use AND and OR in the syntax, I simply entered the tag name in the search box and selected the appropriate tag from a dropdown box and then typed "-tag:archive" to supplement the search.

If you look at the language starting with "Viewing XXXX notes in....." Evernote generates my search parameters and appears that its attempting to perform my request with an unexpected outcome.

• Level 5*

There are two operators in EN search, AND (must include all tags) and ANY (may include any of the tags.  For whatever reason, -tag does not work with ANY, just sort of ignores the search (I'm guessing the notes viewed in the screenshot is the total notes for Open Activity).

Workarounds are to

1. Move the archive tagged notes to their own notebook (Archive Activity) thereby excluding them from the W20/W21 ANY search.  You could have Open Activity and Archive Activity in the same stack to provide the context for searches if you wanted.  
  2. Do an ANY search on W20 and W21, tag them with Combo or the like, and then do an AND search on tag:combo -tag:archive.

Something of a PITA if you want all the notes in the same notebook or you don't want to continually add/delete a temp tag.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  Yeah, until/if EN implements Boolean search with the inclusion of an OR operator it can be a PITA.  Effects how you design your notebook and tag structures for sure.

Archived