So I've been using Evernote for close to two years now and I noticed within the last 3 or so months that It has started to lag very badly. It used to run buttery smooth, but now typing and hyperlinking stuff is a pain in the ass. So much so that most of the time I don't bother using Evernote anymore. This happens on both my Windows 7 gaming machine and a Windows 10 laptop. Both machines have good specs so there is no reason for this lag.

I would appreciate some help in troubleshooting this issue.

• Level 5

1.) Are you running the latest version? Windows 6.0.6.1769 (301769) Public? The 6.0 versions do seem faster than the 5.0 versions.I still see the "Evernote not responding" message, but it is not the 5 minute-long waits that I used to see.

2.) The only other suggestion I've seen mentioned by other users is to switch over to a SSD drive (but I doubt Evernote would agree that is the solution)

-I'm on the latest version. 

-I'm using an SSD drive..

I think it may have something to do with the database as I've heard mentions of something along those lines before, but I'm not very experienced with Evernote from a technical level and I don't want to wipe out all of my notes. 

• Level 5

In the past, Evernote would often suggest that the user uninstall Evernote, then reinstall and sync down from the cloud.

Before going down that route, I would suggest you contact Evernote Support first.

I've tried to uninstall Evernote numerous times and it doesn't fix the issue.

I don't think I've tried to sync from the cloud unless it does that automatically when you reinstall.

I'm a free member, not paid. Evernote support staff only help you if you're a paid member from what I'm aware. I don't honestly have any use for the paid features otherwise I wouldn't have a problem paying for it to get some support.

• Level 5*

You could try pressing the Ctrl key as you click on Help in the menu bar.  Select the optimize data base and the recreate text index options to see if that helps.  And if that doesn't help, export any local notebooks to ENEX files (if you have any), move you exb to a safe place, and do the fresh install which will download your notes from the servers when you log in.  How many notes did you have when the slowdown began?

Is the "optimize data base" and "recreate text index" safe or do I risk losing anything?

How do I export local notebooks to ENEX files? What is exb? Fresh install is just uninstalling and re-installing Evernote - or do I need to do anything else?

Sorry, I'm really not very technical with Evernote..

I have 10 notebooks total and 9 when I noticed major slowdown.

• Level 5*

The optimize and rebuild work on your local data base, not the server version, so you should be okay.

EXB is the extension of the Evernote data base file.  If you go to Tools - Options you can see the location of your Evernote data on the bottom half of the pop up.  The EXB file is in the Databases folder of that location.  

Relative to a rebuild, do you have any local notebooks?  If you haven't created any local notebooks, you can drag the EXB file from its location to the desktop as a backup.  Then do an uninstall (preferably with Revo Uninstall) and then reinstall Evernote.  When you sign in after the install your data base will be rebuilt from the servers.  

If you have local notebooks, you need to backup up those notes first which is accomplished by right clicking on the notebook and using the export to ENEX option, make sure that Tags is selected under export options.  You can then import the notes after the rebuild is complete for your synced notebooks.

The above is the cliff's note view, you can search the Knowledge Base to get more detailed instructions.

• Ex Employees
31 minutes ago, FennecTheFox said:

How do I know if I have local notebooks?

Local notebooks are notebooks that are not synced to the Evernote Service and only exist on the computer where they are created. You would likely know if you use them because you have to select:  File>New Local Notebook  specifically to create them. 

I.E. If it appears on https://www.evernote.com/Home.action then it's not a local notebook. 

Archived