Attachments disappearing (PDF, JPG)

Twice in the past week, I've found attachments suddenly missing from notes:

• First time: Four monthly statements from a single note (PDFs from a bank, with the account number blacked out for security)
  • Second time: JPG in a note that was left open overnight, for me to pick up on where I left off when resuming work this morning

Different notes, different notebooks, different attachment types, opened on different days. No connection between the two notes, in any way other than their existence in EN.

This scares the heck out of me, giving the number of vital documents saved in EN. Has anyone else run into this since the most recent update? 

EN version 6.5 (453172 Direct) ... MacBook Air ... Yosemite 10.10.5 ... more than 30% of the drive remains available, so this can't be a storage space issue on the laptop....

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, PaperQueen said:

Can you verify this on the web platform, also checking the note history to identify when the attachments went missing?

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you verify this on the web platform, also checking the note history to identify when the attachments went missing?

First time / first note (with bank statements)

History:

• Attachments were there on 03.21.16
  • Attachments were gone on 03.28.16 (the next time I opened the note)

Web: 

• The original attachments do not appear in the web interface; they've since been replaced by different documents provided by the bank (so I'd have necessary info).

Second time / second note (the one left open overnight)

History:

• Shows the pre-attachment version dated 04.05.16 at 6:19 p.m. (when I opened the note to add the jpg attachment)
  • No other version appears in the history until 9:44 a.m. today, when I returned to the office...even though I had the note "blown up" to full screen yesterday afternoon, using the jpg as a layout plan for drawings being sketched at my desk. 

Web:

• Shows current version (thankfully, I still had the original document photographed for the jpg, and was able to re-add it to the note)

Does that help...? 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, PaperQueen said:

First time / first note (with bank statements)

History:

• Attachments were there on 03.21.16
  • Attachments were gone on 03.28.16 (the next time I opened the note)

I think this would be enough detail for followup in a support ticket.  See the link below this post.

>>Does that help...?
Just to be clear - this is a user community and the best we can do is offer suggestions for you to resolve problems.

46 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just to be clear - this is a user community and the best we can do is offer suggestions for you to resolve problems.

That's why I started here---in case this was a known issue, it would be easier to learn from others than reinvent the wheel. :)

Off to file a support ticket....

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, PaperQueen said:

I'm not sure what is causing you to"lose" attachments from your notes. I've been using Evernote for about 8 years now, and AFAIK I have never lost a attachment.  I've use EN Win and now mostly EN Mac.  I have not seen this reported by other users in these forums, so it may be something specific to your Mac and/or workflow.

7 hours ago, PaperQueen said:

Second time: JPG in a note that was left open overnight, for me to pick up on where I left off when resuming work this morning

IMO, this is a bad practice, and may be contributing to your issue.

Just like I don't leave documents/files open on my Mac for long periods, let alone overnight, I make sure I sync and close EN Mac whenever I am not going to use that Mac for an extended period.  Also, I make sure that any attachments I have open for viewing or editing are closed as soon as I am done with them, and for sure before I close Evernote.

Are you doing any type of systematic backup, like with Time Machine (TM)?
Since all of the attachments for a EN Note are in the folder for that Note on your Mac drive, it would be fairly easy to find and restore lost attachments if you are using TM.

You might also try doing a Mac Spotlight search for the attachment by its name.  I just tried this on an attachment to one of my Notes, and Spotlight found two copies of the attachment:

1. In the EN Note folder under the "Contents" folder
  2. In the EN account > external-edits > a-very-long-alphanumeric-name.backup folder > name of my attachment

Both of these would exist in a TM backup.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

On 4/7/2016 at 1:17 PM, PaperQueen said:

That's why I started here---in case this was a known issue, it would be easier to learn from others than reinvent the wheel. :)

Off to file a support ticket....

Hey there @PaperQueen,

If you have already filed a support ticket, would you let me know the number here please? I'd like to look into this a little deeper. Thanks!

• gbarry featured and unfeatured this topic
On April 10, 2016 at 2:46 PM, BSR said:

If you have already filed a support ticket, would you let me know the number here please? I'd like to look into this a little deeper. Thanks!

Hi @BSR,

Here you go---just forwarded logs, etc. to Ellen (I've been out of state the past several days, explaining the delay).

Case # 1546826

On 4/13/2016 at 4:50 PM, PaperQueen said:

Hi @BSR,

Here you go---just forwarded logs, etc. to Ellen (I've been out of state the past several days, explaining the delay).

Case # 1546826

Hey @PaperQueen,

Thanks for letting me know. I see that this was forwarded to our Technical Support team and they're investigating this. I will post an update here once I have one. Thanks again!

• 11 months later...

Hi PaperQueen,

I have had this happen in the past couple of years and it just happened to me again today. An attachment that was in Evernote note disappeared. Thankfully, I was able to go into the note history and re-import the version of the note WITH the attachment today. However in the past, that's not always been the case. I had hoped this was fixed, but it appears to not be the case. I have been an Evernote Premium user for several years now and depend on it for a LOT of my notes and documents as well. This is disconcerting and I'm not sure if I can really trust Evernote with my information or not?

Did you have any success with your support ticket? Was Evernote able to explain what happened to your disappearing attachments? I'm concerned about the notes that may have attachments that have disappeared that I haven't yet noticed ...

Thanks,
Lynn K.

Archived