How to Use Note Links in EN Web with a Public Notebook?

I created a public link to one of my Notebooks using the Windows version of EN. I want to share it with a bunch of people who do not have EN accounts and do not have any experience with EN.

I can email the URL for the public Notebook to each of the people. However, in testing this, I find that it sends a person to a page on the web that gives them the option of "Join This Notebook" or "View This Notebook". If they choose the first option, the would have to create an EN account. I don't want that to happen.

If they choose the second option, the Notebook opens up in the web version of EN. I don't really like that. It is going to confuse/overwhelm them - TMI. I'd prefer that these people only see one Note at a time. (I put a link at the top of each of the near 100 Notes in the Notebook that takes the user to the "Table of Contents" where every item on the list is a link to a particular Note. This makes the navigation from Note to Note fairly easy.) So, my first question is, How do I set it up so that the user will see only one Note in my public Notebook at a time and only the Note? (I know it is possible to share a public Note with someone, but I don't want to go to the trouble to do that. There are many Notes and many people.)

If it is not possible to do what I describe above, How to I "Copy Note Links" in my Windows EN version correctly? Apparently, I didn't do it right. Now, when a user clicks in the web EN on a link that I created in Windows EN, it take the user to EN "Create an Account" screen.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Analyst444 said:

If it is not possible to do what I describe above, How to I "Copy Note Links" in my Windows EN version correctly? Apparently, I didn't do it right. Now, when a user clicks in the web EN on a link that I created in Windows EN, it take the user to EN "Create an Account" screen

I just tested this, and it worked the same for me.  If I am NOT signed in to Evernote on the web, when I click on a Note link, it prompts me to either sign in, or create a new account.

I'm sorry to say that I don't see any way for someone else to view your NB or Notes without having an Evernote account.

I think your only options are to ask your readers to get an Evernote account, or publish your info elsewhere, like maybe on a WordPress site.

• Level 5*

So, my first question is, How do I set it up so that the user will see only one Note in my public Notebook at a time and only the Note?

Instead of sharing a notebook, why don't you share a note.

The note would be a table of contents, consisting of links to the notes you want to share.

This gives you much better control on how you present your notes.

JMichaelTX, thanks for spending some time on this and, unfortunately, confirming what I have found.

DTLow - I tried what you suggested. The Note that I "shared" popped up nicely as a stand-alone Note without the standard Evernote Screen. However, as soon as I clicked on one of the links I had previously placed in the Note, it took me to the "Create an Account" screen.

I built the Notebook in EN. I intended to maintain it it EN. I am such an EN devotee that I don't want to switch the Notebook to a blog, like Wordpress. I am going to go back, rewrite the steps to create an EN account and reassess whether I think a bunch of people with possibly little computer experience and likely no EN experience will be able to follow them successfully.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Analyst444 said:

However, as soon as I clicked on one of the links I had previously placed in the Note, it took me to the "Create an Account" screen.

I should have been more explicit on the type of link.  In all cases it would have to be the "public link", not the internal (Classic) link.

DTLow - I tried 4 more cases.

When I click on "Copy Note Link", I can hold down the CTRL button or not. (I believe one of those approaches gives me a "classic" link and one doesn't.)

When I select a word/phrase to apply the link to, I right click on it, a menu pops up. I select Hyperlink --> Add. A little window pops up with "http://" highlighted. I can append the link after that or replace the "http://" with the link.

2 options by 2 options gave me 4 case to try. I did and none of them worked. I either got a 414 error message, nothing happened, or I was taken to the "Create an Account" screen.

If you can be more specific on how I should be copying the link and applying it, I will try it some more.

Also, during this set of tests, I was never able to see just a single "Note" by itself. I was always on the full, standard, EN web screen. (I am using Google Chrome. I cleared out the "History" before I started the testing.)

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

>>When I click on "Copy Note Link", I can hold down the CTRL button or not. (I believe one of those approaches gives me a "classic" link and one doesn't.)

I think it's platform specific.  For iOS, when copying a link, I get the box shown below.

Hopefully, others can speak to the other platforms

image.jpeg.ec68065738ffc7f67977d91ad0926

• Level 5*

When I click on "Copy Note Link", I can hold down the CTRL button or not. (I believe one of those approaches gives me a "classic" link and one doesn't.)

And on the Mac - right click on the note

56bfa0f4a72eb_ScreenShot2016-02-13at1.28

DTLow - Thanks for spending more time on this.

I don't expect the users of my database to install Evernote on their iOS devices, so I haven't dealt with that.

I'm using EN on a Windows laptop. With you nudging, I searched again for the "Copy Public Link" for a Note and found it. I tried it, too, and got the same undesirable result. That is, the rest of the links in my Notebook on web EN just lead to the "Create and Account" screen.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the users will have to create an EN account.The challenge for me is going to be to figure out how to write the instructions in as simple a manner as I can so that most of the users will be able to successfully work their way through them.

Again, thanks for your help on this.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Analyst444 said:

I've resigned myself to the fact that the users will have to create an EN account.The challenge for me is going to be to figure out how to write the instructions in as simple a manner as I can so that most of the users will be able to successfully work their way through them.

How about a video?  It might be easier than creating a bunch of screenshots and text, and IMO, would be the easiest way for your readers to learn.

See this video:  How to Create an Evernote Account 

• Level 5*

I'm using EN on a Windows laptop. With you nudging, I searched again for the "Copy Public Link" for a Note and found it. I tried it, too, and got the same undesirable result.

My feeling is you should look into this further.
I'm using a Mac, but the results should be similar.

You're providing a public link - it works ok
You're providing a second public link - it doesn't work.  I'd look more closely at this, and my suspicion is the second link isn't really the public link.

They should not have to open Evernote accounts just to access your notes.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My feeling is you should look into this further.
I'm using a Mac, but the results should be similar.

The main issue in all cases (all links) is that it requires an Evernote account to view the note or notebook.  I have confirmed this.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

The main issue in all cases (all links) is that it requires an Evernote account to view the note or notebook.  I have confirmed this.

Yet he says on his first note

>>The Note that I "shared" popped up nicely as a stand-alone Note without the standard Evernote Screen.

Here are two public links.  They should be accessible without an Evernote account.

https://www.evernote.com/l/AArMDpdUmUhBXKHCP6ZE0SeaY6nhG2HC2t0
- contains a public link to a third note which has a zip file attachment

@csihilling - Creating an EN account for each user is a possibility. However, there are already about 50 users on my email distribution list. If I get this thing designed well enough, I would expect the list to grow. So, this option looks like a fair amount of work and an ongoing effort that I'd prefer to avoid.

@JMichaelTX - I don't have the resources (app?) to build a video and I am still not inclined to undertake that kind of effort. I wrote up a set of instructions with several screen shots. It turned out to be several pages long. I asked my wife to try it out. It was too much for her and she gave up - - - and she knows how to use EN.

@DTLow - I tried the 2 links in your post above. They work fine when executed by themselves and the link inside the second Note does take me to a 3rd public Note without asking me to "Create an Account". That is exactly what I am looking for. I thought that was one of the options I tried with my Windows EN, but maybe I didn't get it right. I will try it again. - - - If it does work, then I will have to replace each of the roughly 100 links I have in my Notebook. I think it will be worth the effort.

@DTLow - I found another way (the 3rd or maybe 4th way) to create a public link to an EN Note with Windows EN. (Details are below for other Windows EN users.) - - - There are a couple disadvantages to this approach:

• When the user moves from Note to Note on web EN, the prior window stays open (at least under Google Chrome an IE). That's not particularly serious. I would just need to add a sentence in my instructions to the users to close those windows/tabs.
  • If I click on one of the links when using Windows EN, it takes me to the web. That's not a deal-breaker either. I've got enough Windows EN experience that I will be able to be able to find the Note(s) I want to modify without using the links.

In short, I'm going to adopt this approach. It will keep the users of my database from having to "Create an EN Account", significantly reduces the instructions, and will make it easier for the users to navigate the database. - - - I will have to go back and modify each of the roughly 100 links in my database, but I think it will be worth it.

Thanks for pressing me to stick with it.

To All - If you recognize some problem with this approach that I haven't, please speak up. - - - Thanks again for all your ideas.

Here is the approach in Windows EN that avoids the user from getting the "Create an Account" screen on the Web-based EN:
  • Right-Click on a Note that you want the web URL.
  • Select Share -----> Copy Share URL
  • Now, go the Note where I want to apply the link.
  • Right-Click on the desired word/phrase.
  • Select Hyperlink ---> Add. A little window will pop up.
  • Paste the link and make sure that you replace the prefix "http://" that is offered in the little window that pops up.

• Level 5*

The important difference here seems to be whether you're sharing the notebook,  or just the note's public link.  If your note is published with a public link it is just a web page,  and no account is necessary to view it.  You can also publish a note which contains links to other public notes,  and acts like the index page of a website.  The links you get from a ToC note aren't the same thing - they'll bounce you to the installed note or (if you're not the owner) to a 'join or view' menu.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Analyst444 said:
Here is the approach in Windows EN that avoids the user from getting the "Create an Account" screen on the Web-based EN:
  • Right-Click on a Note that you want the web URL.
  • Select Share -----> Copy Share URL

In the Mac world; I use More Sharing > Copy Public Link
The standard sharing gets into specifing usernames or email ids 

It took me about 3 more hours to go back and replace all the links (about 150 of them) in my migraine and chronic headache (MACH) database, so that a bunch of people who have no familiarity with EN could use it without getting the EN "Create an Account" screen. I'm now ready to share it with "Interested Parties".

A couple of you expressed interest in what the final product would look like. Here is the link to it: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s34/sh/ff923bab-55a6-4261-9515-a8be2d6e510a/967cfa12f96b947c

Also, on an irregular basis, I also plan on publishing a free electronic newsletter on MACH. If you know someone who would like to be on my email distribution list, ask them to send me, Jim Grant, an email at JWGrant (at) AOL (dot) com to that effect.

Thanks again for the help that each of you gave me on this.

• Level 5*

It took me about 3 more hours to go back and replace all the links (about 150 of them) in my migraine and chronic headache (MACH) database, so that a bunch of people who have no familiarity with EN could use it without getting the EN "Create an Account" screen.

Thanks for sharing that.
I knew it was do-able, but I had never seen it in actual use.
It is a very effective way of publishing your content, and you did a great job in formatting it.

• Level 5*

I second @DTLow - that's a really good implementation of the linking between notes,  and I reserve the right to steal from you shamelessly while setting up my own pages!  Only comment - your post above and the subscription link give your email address on public pages.  To avoid being spammed (a lot) I'd recommend showing it as JWGrant (at) AOL (dot) com - with added explanations if necessary!  Let us know what feedback you get.

Archived