Organizing group of merged notes

• Level 5*

There are some workarounds:

1. Change the create or update date
  2. Add temporary tags TS010, TS020, TS030, ... or the like to the notes, then do a tag:ts* search, then sort by tags
  3. Change the titles so they sort in your order
  4. Modify the note after the merge

Personally, I've used option 2.  Fairly easy to do and easy to cleanup afterwards.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Pooldlenoelle said:

Is there anyway to move notes that are merged to have them in correct order?

I imderstand the merge is done in the order the notes appear on the screen.
You can change that order (Sort by title, date updated, date changed)
If you're sorting by date updated and you want to move a note in the list, edit the date

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, csihilling said:

There are some workarounds:

1. Change the create or update date
  2. Add temporary tags TS010, TS020, TS030, ... or the like to the notes, then do a tag:ts* search, then sort by tags
  3. Change the titles so they sort in your order
  4. Modify the note after the merge

Personally, I've used option 2.  Fairly easy to do and easy to cleanup afterwards.

@csihilling has pretty much laid out the options for ordering notes prior to a merge.

@Pooldlenoelle:  I would add this:

• Tags are probably the easiest to use, and the least intrusive
  • However, if you already have tags assigned to these Notes, you have to make sure the "merge" tags will appear first, so the sort will work
  • So, you could create tags with names like this:
    • !001
    • !002
    • !003
    • etc
  • Use of the "!" symbol first should ensure these will be the first tag in each note, so a sort by tags will yield the desired order.
  • This also makes it very easy to change the order just by changing the tag assigned to the Note
  • You could even keep these tags for use in later merges.
  • Level 5*
On February 8, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Pooldlenoelle said:

move notes that are merged to have them in correct order

•  

Just following up on what you mean by "correct" order.  Is this a special order set by you, not connected by dates or title?

When I need a special order, I add a number to the front of the titles. Similar to @JMichaelTX's tags numbers. 0050, 0060, 0070 added to the titles will ensure the notes are in the required order when sorted by title.  It also leaves room to insert notes into the sequence.

As per my first post, on the Mac the sort order drives the merged note order.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

This is pretty obvious to most of us:  The order of the notes the OP wants in the merged note.

Yes, but is the op asking for a sort by date, title or something special? I was trying to speak to the special sequence. (You omitted that context when you quoted me)

I edited my note to say that the sort order impacts the order of notes in the merged note.

Archived