List capabilities

fepstein

Idea

Hello team Evernote and community,

I have a few suggestions or possibly questions on how to go about making my "list" experience run smoother.

1. It would be so much easier to manage my lists, whether to do or groceries, if my completed tasks could be "hidden" or at least move to the bottom of the page in a completed section. That way it is precisely clear what I still have left to do or find. Is there already a way to do this?

2. With that, I'd also like to be able to manipulate the order of my tasks in a list. That way if something comes up that is more precedent than the top task, I can rearrange my task list. Wondering if this is possible as well. 

3. Can I link my tasks list to my Mac calendar? This would be a tremendous help!

4. Finally, just curious as to why I can highlight text on my iPad, but not on my iMac?

Thank you!!

Sincerely,

fepstein

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, fepstein said:

I have a few suggestions or possibly questions on how to go about making my "list" experience run smoother.

Until/IF Evernote provides the features you would like, you might take a look at IQTell.  It does everything you are asking for, and much more.  It is a great, inexpensive, Project/Task/todo manager that tightly integrates with Evernote.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, fepstein said:

With that, I'd also like to be able to manipulate the order of my tasks in a list. That way if something comes up that is more precedent than the top task, I can rearrange my task list. Wondering if this is possible as well. 

My understanding is that the only way is cut and paste.  There's no sorting either.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, fepstein said:

Can I link my tasks list to my Mac calendar? This would be a tremendous help

I insert the Evernote link in my calendar entries.  

It's one way; you can go from the calendar to Evernote, but not from Evernote to the calendar.

fepstein -

Instead of making a list of items (tasks) within a Note, make each item on your list its own Note. Then, create a standard set of, say, 4-8 Tags that look something like this:
  • 1-Active
  • 2-Waiting
  • 3-Planned
  • 8-OnHold
  • 9-Completed
Then, switch to EN's List View and sort your tasks by Tag. The ones that are completed will fall to the bottom as you requested.

Your #2 can be accomplished by either (A) Creating another sets of Tags that define the "sequence" you want/should work on tasks or (B) enhance the above suggested set of Tags to incorporate "sequence" into their values. (For example: 001-Active, 002-Active)

In regard to your #3, here's is an approach.
  • Select a Task (which is a Note, as I describe above). 
  • Select "Copy Note Link".
  • In your Calendar app, find the appropriate event.
  • Open it and paste the link in the "Notes" section.
Then, in the future, when your are working with that event and want to see the associate task, copy the link into your web browser and up will pop the Task (Note). - - - I suspect you will say that you want to just click on the task link in the Calendar event to see the Task, but I doubt your Calendar app will work like that.

In regard to your #4, there are various differences between the Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android versions of EN . I suspect there are different programming teams within the Evernote Corporation who work on the different versions. There can be a variety of specific reasons why there are still various differences, but it will always come down to time and effort, technology issues, and/or money.

I hope you will find my response to be helpful.
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

I suspect you will say that you want to just click on the task link in the Calendar event to see the Task, but I doubt your Calendar app will work like that.

Just clicking on the link works for me on an Mac and iPad

• Level 5*

2 hours ago, fepstein said:

4. Finally, just curious as to why I can highlight text on my iPad, but not on my iMac?

I can highlight text on both my iPad and Mac. On the format bar, I see B I U a and then the highlight tool.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Analyst444 said:

Then, in the future, when your are working with that event and want to see the associate task, copy the link into your web browser and up will pop the Task (Note). - - - I suspect you will say that you want to just click on the task link in the Calendar event to see the Task, but I doubt your Calendar app will work like that.

Try holding the Ctrl key as you click on Copy Note Link, this may give you a link which will take you from calendar to EN.

Archived