Combining notes looks like upload to en server

Whenever I do any house cleaning and combine some notes the en server sees this as new upload. You would not think that this would be a problem with a premium account but the other day I got a computer generated nastygram about "extremely high use" when all I had done was combine some notes with added tags and better titles.

Also en has not responded to my last several tickets. Is that 100 year company going to be a 10 year company?

• Level 5*

the other day I got a computer generated nastygram about "extremely high use" when all I had done was combine some notes with added tags and better titles.

I have seen many reports/complaints about receiving the "extremely high use" email from Evernote even though (reportedly) the user had not uploaded a "huge" amount".  These emails came after Evernote changed their policy/plan to allow "unlimited" uploads  in a Premium account.

See "Unlimited Upload" isn't unlimited

EDIT:  Add Below  Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 9:43 AM  CDT

Here is one official Evernote response explaining these emails:

I have been an Evernote premium user since 2010, and my usage patterns have not massively changed in that time.

I have just recevied an email from Evernote:

"Please note: Evernote and its intended uses"

There’s been an extraordinary amount of activity on your Evernote account.."

Has any other user had this email from evernote? And no, I do not use EN it to backup my laptop, store RAW images etc - just word docs and PDFs mainly.

This is an automatic email that goes out whenever we detect a high amount of upload in a short period of time. I apologize for any confusion that the automatic email or the support response created, but it was mostly a friendly reminder of account health and best uses. As you already know, we do have user guidelines that can be referenced if you find yourself running into this issue again. 

Everything should be fine in your account, but if you please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or additional concerns. 

Thanks all, I always search before posting but it failed to find anything related.

Glad to see en knows that it is sometimes being an issue but even after reading the other thread I'm not sure that they know that simply combining notes looks like additional upload to the server.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure that they know that simply combining notes looks like additional upload to the server.

I don't know, just guessing, but perhaps all Evernote service looks at is your upload usage currently as compared with your normal, or average.  It probably sees a merged note as just another upload without knowing, or caring, about the source of the Note.

So if you normally upload, say 100MB/day, and then you upload 1GB/day, it may trigger the email.

(just guessing on the numbers).

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure that they know that simply combining notes looks like additional upload to the server.

I don't know, just guessing, but perhaps all Evernote service looks at is your upload usage currently as compared with your normal, or average.  It probably sees a merged note as just another upload without knowing, or caring, about the source of the Note.

So if you normally upload, say 100MB/day, and then you upload 1GB/day, it may trigger the email.

(just guessing on the numbers).

That's exactly my situation. A burst of activity. Short lived, and nowhere neat the 4GB limit. Just a fast 1GB. 

I eventually got ahold of support and combining does count as new upload. I never could get hard numbers, but I will be careful about combining several already large notes from now on. 

• Level 5*

Sort of makes sense, a new note is created in the combination that note gets uploaded.  Not sure the server would even know the new note is a combination of two existing notes. They don't measure storage, just the uploads of "new" stuff. 

For what it's worth, no response to my ticket, but near instant twitter reply. "That one auto-sends as a reminder of our guidelines. If you've read them, then feel free to ignore if you see it again."

Even though I have a premium account, I look at my usage, and the 4GB bar is fine by me. 

• Level 5*

If you have a premium account,  your usage isn't limited to 4GB - https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23258452

Evernote seems nervous that with "unlimited" uploads (but see the note size and other individual limits) they'll be seen as a better version of DropBox and have tons of random content added indiscriminately.  I like the idea I'll be warned about unusual usage too - not sure that any of my shared notebooks could be abused,  but if I get lots of changed notes unexpectedly I can do something about it...

Archived