bug: 6.0.13 does not show decrypted text

jimNH

Idea

running 6.0.13, if I have a note with some encrypted text, I click 'show encrypted text', enter the passphrase and nothing happens...

I tried "decrypt text permanently" and again nothing..

If I go to a pc or my iphone I can decrypt the text just fine..

7 replies to this idea

+1 SEVERE BUG.   This happened to me Monday night and I lost critical information.  I was not able to restore because EVERY COPY of the backup I tried to restore would do the same thing - and then it would save the error OVER the backup!!  And then it propagated the error to every device I have evernote on.  Luckily, I had one device that was not online when it happened.  I was able to turn wifi off, open evernote, get my information and save it to something OTHER than Evernote.  I will never trust evernote as the sole repository of information again, which begs the question of why I pay for it.  I sent an email to the help line three days ago, reporting Lost Data and I have yet to get a single response.  Unacceptable.

• Level 5*

@jimNH:  this was/ is a known issue in EN Mac - is your 6.0.13 from the App Store or a direct download from Evernote.com?  If you use the DD route,  you'll be in a position to get the latest upgrades a little before they hit the Apple outlets.  As 6.0.13 was only released a week or so ago,  it's always best to raise immediate problems in that thread - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/84362-evernote-for-mac-6012-6013-released/

-I'll post there pointing back to this discussion so the developers can connect the two.

@Thatcher Mathias:  appreciate your frustrations,  but this is a user forum where we try to help each other out to the best of our limited ability - see the comments above re your versioning.  I'm not sure about your emailing the help line - there's no published contact address.  Support tickets are raised by logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

-or reaching out on Twitter @Evernotehelps

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

If you have a ticket number please post it here for the devs' information;  if you don;t have a ticket number please raise your bug/ lost data report again as above.

• Level 5*

I will never trust evernote as the sole repository of information again, which begs the question of why I pay for it. 

Thatcher, sorry about your lost data.  Clearly that should not have happened.

IMO, one should never trust anyone else with SOLE repository of one's important data.  This is not just an Evernote issue, but with any online service.

Your best protection is to do your own backups -- do NOT rely on Evernote.

I recommend using a local backup system like Time Machine for EN Mac, for ease of restore, and on online system like CrashPlan for catastrophic protection.

While export to ENEX files is often referred to as a "backup" for Evernote, I don't consider it a 1st Tier, or primary, backup because it does NOT include all data about your Notes.

I have my notes on my laptop (Mac OS Sierra, EN 6.10) and my phone (iOS 10.2, EN 7.18). I have 2 encrypted notes with the same password and on my laptop I can only open one of them, the other one tells me the passphrase is incorrect. I open that note (that says incorrect passphrase) on the phone and the note is decrypted (having checked 10+ times that it's exactly the same password). Also, the note that I can only open on my phone got duplicated.... How does that get solved??

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Nina_W said:

I have my notes on my laptop (Mac OS Sierra, EN 6.10) and my phone (iOS 10.2, EN 7.18). I have 2 encrypted notes with the same password and on my laptop I can only open one of them, the other one tells me the passphrase is incorrect. I open that note (that says incorrect passphrase) on the phone and the note is decrypted (having checked 10+ times that it's exactly the same password). Also, the note that I can only open on my phone got duplicated.... How does that get solved??

Hi.  You're better off opening a new thread for this issue,  or joining this one,  which seem to be about the same problem...

On 10/01/2017 at 6:37 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  You're better off opening a new thread for this issue,  or joining this one,  which seem to be about the same problem...

Thanks! I didn't find it in my initial search.

Archived