Drag & Drop email from OSX Mail to EN6...nothing happens

I'm running Yosemite and am struggling to figure out Evernote.  I've read EN blogs indicating there is at least some kind of functionality when dragging an email from OSX Mail and dropping it into EN6.  But, nothing seems to happen at all.

When I drag an email and hover over an EN folder, I see a familiar + sign, so I drop the email, but a new note is not created.  The little email icon animates a quick return path to OSX Mail.

Blogs indicate that a new Note should be created that at least contains a link back to the email message.  (Similar to the behavior of the dropping an email onto the OSX Reminders app).

I must be missing something...  anyone?

(btw, I know I can forward the email into Evernote, but that's an indirect and, frankly, unusable workflow.)

Thanks,

Tom

• Level 5*

@Tom:  Must be a Yosemite thing.  It works in Mavericks, but maybe not like you would want.  It creates a Note with the email as an attachment.

You might be interested in this AppleScript solution:

Apple Mail to Evernote

I have NOT tried this script and I am not sure if it works with Yosemite.  But at least it might give you some ideas.

If I first start a new note, and then drop an email into the body of the note, a link to the email is inserted.

Attempting to drop an email onto any other parts of EN6 (e.g. a folder in the sidebar, in the list of notes in a notebook, etc.)  are all ignored by EN6.

Oh well.

The script looks interesting and all...but, Evernote staff, users shouldn't have to write/customize/troubleshoot 300+ lines of Applescript to accomplish a rather basic but critical OSX function like drag & drop of an email.

• Level 5*

@Tom:

Since drag/drop of the Apple Mail on the EN icon in the Dock works in Mavericks, but not in Yosemite, I suggest that you submit a bug report.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

• 4 weeks later...

You're right it looks like it broke again.  Sorry about that.  I was going through our list of things that were fixed but didn't personally try it again before I posted this.  I'll ask the dev to work on this now.

• 1 month later...

This does work but I agree it's still not perfect.  If you drag and drop an Apple Mail to an Evernote note the attachment won't appear until you bring Evernote to the foreground.  Give this a try a let me know if you still aren't seeing it work for you.

This problem is a huge handicap for me when using Evernote in the Macbook, but it is a common issue when trying to drop an app object into a Yosemite's Dock icon. It doesn't work. I think it is a Yosemite's Dock issue. I do not understand why Apple is not fixing this BASIC AND EVIDENT BUG. 

• Level 5*

it is a common issue when trying to drop an app object into a Yosemite's Dock icon. It doesn't work. I think it is a Yosemite's Dock issue. I do not understand why Apple is not fixing this BASIC AND EVIDENT BUG. 

Have you posted a BUG report on the Apple Feedback site?

• 2 months later...

This is what I did, and it works (only via Print and then PDF, not directly from Save As PDF):

• Click on Print 
  • Choose Save as PDF
  • When prompted for Save, choose Evernote 

You can rename the file, and move the saved file to any folder. 

Hope it helps !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi y'all.

I've alerted the team to this and will keep you updated as I find out more information. In the meantime, you can attach an email from Apple Mail to Evernote by first dragging/dropping the email to the desktop, then dragging from the desktop and dropping onto the Evernote icon in your dock. I hope that helps!

• 3 months later...

2016-03-03: Evernote 6.5, Apple Mail 8.2, Yosemite 10.10.5
Eleven months later and this still isn't fixed.

Is there a workaround via the service menu?

For example, one can right click, navigate to services, and select Omni Group's ”OmniFocus 2: Send to Inbox” and it works.

Selecting “Add to Evernote” from the same services menu creates a new note with no content.

Assuming we're still talking about drag-dropping a MacMail (Exchange) email into an Evernote note. If a new note is already created then *single* emails can be drag-dropped in. Groups of emails (including "conversations") "animates a quick return path to OSX Mail". Zip! 

I just successfully dropped (email-by-email) into a note. Clicking the "eye" opens a little preview popout window. 

56df80689fd8f_MessagesImage(9526684).png

Archived