scanned 2 sides to a card not saving

asiajason

• Level 5*

Can't find any reference to two-sided scanning* - other than duplex scanners.  I assume this may be a feature they haven't gotten around to yet.  Can you merge the two notes together?

*Edit:  that's business card scanning - the latest app update specifies choices netween JPG for single page and PDF for multi-page scans;  but these are presumably dpcuments rather than business cards...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

One of the reasons I finally upgraded from the Free to Premium Plan last month, apart from starting to use EN a lot, was the Business Card scanning feature.  And like other comments people have made on this thread, I too just discovered that I am unable to scan both sides - which is absolutely ridiculous given that most business cards are 2 sided as another person said...

On 3/16/2015 at 3:03 AM, Randomizer said:

Logo or name and logo on one side, contact details on the other.

Unless I'm in error with how I'm using the EN app on my Android phone, then I would suggest this is "False Advertising" from Evernote as only half the job can be done - or at the very least EN should clearly state "We can ONLY scan 1-side" ...VERY DISSAPOINTED

• Level 5*

@RavBoy - Hi.  You'll gather from comments so far in this thread that you're not wrong;  Evernote is only set up to copy and (if you wish) process the details of a single-sided card into Evernote.  I haven't noticed whether two-sided cards are becoming more common,  but this is a feature that was originally developed some while ago and the 'other' side wasn't an issue.  I'm more interested in contact details than logo design so the omission hasn't been a major problem,  and as already discussed it's pretty easy to overcome by taking a separate snap and linking the two notes.  If you feel strongly on this you could post in the separate feedback stream and gather some votes to encourage Evernote to raise its priority...

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm more interested in contact details than logo design so the omission hasn't been a major problem

Cheers for answering Gazumped...I too don't care about logo's but i do care about what a business/individual has to offer and these days 2 sided cards tend to list the services/features they do/provide etc on the flip side.  But more than that If a campany says they can do something then they should do it...Business cards are, a lot of the time 2 sided...and yet EN provide no easy user friendly way to scan both sides.  I read a few other threads re this issue dating back since 2014 when the feature was released, and the common theme is again why i cant we do this!

as for your comment below

16 hours ago, gazumped said:

as already discussed it's pretty easy to overcome by taking a separate snap and linking the two notes

Can you please advise or direct me to instructions on how to link to a separate snap using Android smartphone app? 

cheers

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, RavBoy said:

how to link to a separate snap using Android smartphone app

- When you snap the business card,  let the app do its thing and then just snap a quick pic of the other side. Assuming that the main note includes the name of the individual or the name of the company,  just title your new separate note with that name.  Now both notes will come up in any searches.  To make the link a little stronger you can wait until you get back to a desktop and use Copy Note Link to add a link to the second picture into the business card note,  or if you're happy to convert the business card into a normal note,  just merge the two.  I know folks who also use tags to 'connect' notes together.

On 8/12/2016 at 11:45 PM, gazumped said:

get back to a desktop and use Copy Note Link to add a link to the second picture into the business card note

Thanks Gazumped...your tip quoted above, seemed like my best workaround and thanks for the advice.  Firstly, I had to learn how to 'Copy Note Link'...all good so far, but then when I tried to implement your advice on my Desktop Windows 10 Evernote App using 'Copy Note Link' (from any random note) then paste in to the business card note text field, the link address pasted fine but did not actually become a hyperlink! ...similarly when I tried to manually create a hyperlink using existing text inside the text field by: right-click > hyperlink all 4 options (Add-Edit-Copy-Remove) were grayed out and unusable!?  Am I doing something wrong or need to configure something else?  cheers

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Don't know what's going on there - I'm not in a position to test on my own account at the moment,  but that used to work for me...  Maybe recent changes have affected the note field.  I'd certainly expect that clickable links from a business card to more company details or a project note would be possible,  so a 2nd copy of the card should be a no-brainer.  Have to take a raincheck on this and get back to you in a few days unless someone else can offer any comments...

• Level 5*

Sorry to take a while to get back to this - I imaged a business card in Evernote (android user here) which was properly formatted and saved as a card.  When the pop-up appeared saying 'process another?' I said Yes and snapped the back.  That was processed as a standard picture.

I tried pasting a standard link and a classic link to the second image into the dialogue area,  and both were treated as plain text.

Then (on my Windows desktop) I merged the two notes.  There was a stern warning about my  card image being created "in a different application" and not being editable there if I went ahead.  So I did it anyway.  Pasting the link now works as you'd expect - except the card it refers to is now in the Trash. ^_^

The functionality I'm missing appears to be the email / phone / chat option which otherwise appears in the original note view (in Android,  not in Windows) - I've still got the email address and phone number,  I just have to do a bit more work to use them.  Since I also copied the details to my contacts when I created the image I don't see me actually needing to use those anyway.

So.  Not a total loss,  not great,  but usable in a pinch.  It would make life a lot easier if Evernote could arrange for links to be active in the comments field of the main note.

To answer @Dmitri - like I said before Evernote created the feature in the days before 2-sided notes were common.  It's not a question of 'why don't they do this?',  it's just 'when will they get around to it?' - there are a couple thousand other things they're working on that might be a higher priority to more people than this.  Evernote tend not to comment.  They'll just release the update when they're ready.

@gazumped Thanks for your effort.  Agree with your final comment re making links active in the comments field... for now I wont be using their half-assed Business Card feature due to the above issues...and instead will scan both sides using the 'photo' option until EN fix it.  Until that day arrives in far far away galaxy, I'm sure EN will continue to market and promote this half-baked feature.  Goodluck  

Archived