How to deactivate "context" feature

I have just updated my Evernote premium. There is a new feature called Context. I have tried to deactivated it. It is utterly useless. It is just another further source of distraction when I open a note. Moreover, I do not ever read the Wall Street Journal.

PLEASE: does anybody know how to remove or deactivate this function? Simply hiding it does not preventing Evernote from popping up a balloon at the bottom of the screen whenever I open a note.

post-65193-0-57513000-1419370565_thumb.p

Oi Marcelo,

Your screenshot looks like it's on the Windows desktop client. You'll have to go to Tools > Options > Context (Ferramentas > Opções > Contexto). From there you can uncheck the "Exibir Contexto" checkbox to uncheck everything. 

Your window should look something similar to this:

Context%20options.PNG?dl=1

You should be able to disable Context on other devices in a similar way through the Settings menu. 

• 1 month later...

But does this truly turn this off? I mean, will Evernote continue scanning my personal notes and linking them to public content services? If so, i'll downgrade to free. The context features is absolutely useless to me.

You would do well to do your homework and look at Evernote's privacy and security policies. Google is your friend.

But does this truly turn this off? I mean, will Evernote continue scanning my personal notes and linking them to public content services? If so, i'll downgrade to free. The context features is absolutely useless to me.

You would do well to do your homework and look at Evernote's privacy and security policies. Google is your friend.

The fact that you think Google is my friend is pretty funny. You act as if i'm the only person who has questioned this useless, intrustive, ad-like so-called "feature" in Evernote. I'm not. I did read that Evernote said they would not share personal information, but i'd be foolish to do that on its face. Sometimes superusers have insight that's worth listening to and are adept at predicting future outcomes instead of toeing the party line. I just wish that Evernote would spend more time serving existing customers than developing worthless items like Context.

I don't know about that Jeff. I keep getting these pop ups on my PC that seem to have learned my shopping preferences. This has been an unexpectedly convenient way to purchase stuff online without leaving my desktop... But I'm beginning to wonder how my PC knows me so well... I suspect that maybe Notepad is mining my data. Would you know how to turn these off?

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, NotImpressed said:

Spam in a paid app.  Hideous.  I have it disabled and I'm now looking for an alternative piece of software for my cross platform note taking.

A lesson in how to quickly erode the trust of your userbase!

The thread is two years old,  and relates to a feature that is 1) only available to to paid users as a benefit if they want it,  and 2) has to be opted into.  It isn't spam.

https://evernote.com/context/faq/

• 11 months later...
On 1/26/2017 at 1:25 PM, gazumped said:

The thread is two years old,  and relates to a feature that is 1) only available to to paid users as a benefit if they want it,  and 2) has to be opted into.  It isn't spam.

https://evernote.com/context/faq/

Maybe this was true last year, but Context is enabled by default now. I certainly did not opt in. It's absolutely an advertising mechanism, regardless of how it's branded. It's offensive to paid customers to deliver ads, but unfortunately not that unusual. It should be off by default for paid accounts, but again not surprising that it's not. Let's not pretend it's anything other than an ad delivery mechanism, though.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK sorry - I've not set up a new account for a while,  so wasn't aware.  Not pretending though - I'm just a user like you.  Can you switch the option off?  If so,  it's better than the 'upgrade' messages you tend to get...

Archived