Parting Notes

I used Calligrapher for Windows CE in the '90s and Transcriber for Pocket PC and since then with Windows phones. As far as I can determine Evernote does not work in any android application, has no instructions, no readily available help file and is not a handwriting recognition program. Evernote has wasted several hours of my time with fraudulent promises. I will be uninstalling the worthless little oddity directly.

• Level 5*

? Evernote works in countless Android versions,  has tons of help information,  a group of users who're willing to help out with sensible questions,  and routinely does handwriting recognition.  One of us appears to be very wrong.

I use the Android app every day with no problems on my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone every day. It also works on my JXD tablet.

Just to be clear, are you trying to use the Android app on a Windows phone? If so, that's your problem, you would need to download the Windows Phone version of Evernote.

I used Calligrapher for Windows CE in the '90s and Transcriber for Pocket PC and since then with Windows phones. As far as I can determine Evernote does not work in any android application, has no instructions, no readily available help file and is not a handwriting recognition program. Evernote has wasted several hours of my time with fraudulent promises. I will be uninstalling the worthless little oddity directly.

i installed Evernote on my Motorola Moto G android phone. I find no help file. No instructions. It appears to be a drawing program. I can draw (with the limitations of a capacative stylus) and save those drawings, but find no means to convert handwriting to text. There is no button, no tool menu, no icon to bring it up in Calendar or any other app in order to use it as an input device, the primary reason for handwriting recognition on devices where it is impossible to touch-type. I have clicked on everything and scoured this website for the magic instructions  I have no need of a program that simply replicates the funciton of paper . I have paper for that and it fits better in more places.

I would love to be proved wrong. Where are these instructions? How is it possible that the developers created such a useful app and neglected to explain how it may be utilized? How do I bring it up in Calendar?

Evernote does not convert handwriting to text. Evernote recognize handwritten text, so you can make a search and find that note again.

You can draw directly in Evernote using the ink feature, ou you can attach a photo of the handwritten paper to the Evernote's note

I always love a good flounce. 

Good luck with whatever app you go with.

i installed Evernote on my Motorola Moto G android phone. I find no help file. No instructions. It appears to be a drawing program. I can draw (with the limitations of a capacative stylus) and save those drawings, but find no means to convert handwriting to text. There is no button, no tool menu, no icon to bring it up in Calendar or any other app in order to use it as an input device, the primary reason for handwriting recognition on devices where it is impossible to touch-type. I have clicked on everything and scoured this website for the magic instructions  I have no need of a program that simply replicates the funciton of paper . I have paper for that and it fits better in more places.

I would love to be proved wrong. Where are these instructions? How is it possible that the developers created such a useful app and neglected to explain how it may be utilized? How do I bring it up in Calendar?

Ok, this has truly provided my morning chuckle. 

Again...good luck.

Mr. Fries,

Were the owners of this site (who are, presumably, the developers of the software) to provide actual disclosure of the functions of Evernote before someone had to spend their time struggling with it, I would not be here.

Even failing that, had they provided actual help or support, I would not have burdened you with my comment.

They havve, however, provided you with the title "moderator" to enable you to belittle me. On top of the fraudulent waste of my time I will remember Evernote with your additional insults.

Mr. Fries,

Were the owners of this site (who are, presumably, the developers of the software) to provide actual disclosure of the functions of Evernote before someone had to spend their time struggling with it, I would not be here.

Even failing that, had they provided actual help or support, I would not have burdened you with my comment.

They havve, however, provided you with the title "moderator" to enable you to belittle me. On top of the fraudulent waste of my time I will remember Evernote with your additional insults.

1. There is a plethora of info out there...should you elect to find it.  Heck, many were even mentioned in this thread. If you elect not to, that's ok too.  But it's silly to complain that it's not out there when it is & you simply elect to not look for it.  We are not your mother.

2. The title of moderator on this website is pretty meaningless.  (Searching the board will provide you with answers on that.)  However, I'm pleased to know I've made a lasting impression. 

Again...good luck with whatever app you go with.

On the Google Play apps page, Evernote is described this way:

You’re on the path to something big — Evernote is where you do the work to achieve it.

Write notes of all types, from short lists to lengthy research, and access them on any device.
Collect web articles, handwritten notes, and photos to keep all the details in one place. 
Find your work quickly with Evernote’s powerful search.

Move projects forward with Evernote:

- Take notes: write in a clean, distraction-free workspace.
- Get organized: create notebooks and add tags to wrangle projects.
- Access anywhere: keep your work in sync across devices.
- Find anything fast: text in notes, photos, and PDFs is searchable.
- Share ideas and resources: create a workspace for collaboration with shared notebooks.
- Keep up with to-do’s: make to-do lists and check items off as you go.
- Harness creativity: capture ideas while they’re fresh, wherever you are.
- Prepare for meetings: draft agendas and to-do’s for next time.
- Manage expenses: organize receipts, bills, and invoices to keep expense reports in check.
- Plan business travel: save reservations and tickets for simple trip planning.

That looks awfully like "actual disclosure of the functions of Evernote" to me....

I spent two hours attempting to access the application from Google Play. It just kept "hourglassing." Then I downloaded it directly from the Evernote site...

From links that advertised Handwriting Recognition... http://www.cultofandroid.com/53804/evernote-brings-handwriting-recognition-android/ . That the myth of Evernote as a handwriting recognition program exists I only need offer the opinion of one of its defenders... right in this thread : "Gazumped," above.

• Level 5*

As two people have already said,  Evernote does recognise handwriting in OCR and make it searchable.  It just doesn't convert it to text.  The link you quoted says (in part) "Evernote for Android.. introduces handwriting recognition,  allowing you to search all the notes and sketches you jot down with a fingertip or stylus".  No mention of converting to text.  If you need this function,  please search the internet for other software - Evernote can't help you.

If you had a problem with Google Play,  you'd have to take it up with them.  Evernote's products,  not unnaturally,  are also available from their website as is extensive help information.

How do I bring it up in Calendar?

Evernote does not have a calendar. Perhaps you saw something about Penultimate somewhere (for iPad)... Penultimate has a number of different style pages you can choose from, including weekly/ monthly planners, etc. Perhaps you saw that? If you did, it's exclusively for iPad. 

Archived