How to start a new topic in a particular Forum?

I want to start a new topic in the Mac Forum.  The Mac Forum has no option by which to start a new topic. There is a forum named Evernote Web Beta that has an option to start a new topic.  But there is no option that will send it into the Mac Forum.  What can I do to have the new topic appear in the Mac Forum.  Adding the Mac tag does not accomplish this. Thanks.

• Level 5*

I want to start a new topic in the Mac Forum.  The Mac Forum has no option by which to start a new topic. There is a forum named Evernote Web Beta that has an option to start a new topic.  But there is no option that will send it into the Mac Forum.  What can I do to have the new topic appear in the Mac Forum.  Adding the Mac tag does not accomplish this. Thanks.

It is very confusing the way this forum is laid out.

In order to Start a New Topic about one of the Evernote apps (like EN Mac), you have to first go to the Evernote Product forum.

To get there you can click on this link:  Evernote, or click on the "Forum" tab in the upper left corner, then scroll down until you see "Evernote Products", then "Evernote".  Click on "Evernote".

Then you should see on the right, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the page down, a black button labeled "Start New Topic".  Click on this button.

Then you should get the form for posting a new topic.

There will be a dropdown list labeled "Category".  Click on this to select the platform, "Mac" in your case.

Jeepers.  It seems that they want to throttle Forum traffic. I suppose that we soon will see two buttons two click: (1) I want to praise EN; and (2) I want to add constructive criticism in and mild mannered even handed way.  Clicking 1 takes you to a new topic page.  Clicking 2 shuts down your browser.

• Level 5*

Jeepers.  It seems that they want to throttle Forum traffic. I suppose that we soon will see two buttons two click: (1) I want to praise EN; and (2) I want to add constructive criticism in and mild mannered even handed way.  Clicking 1 takes you to a new topic page.  Clicking 2 shuts down your browser.

Just start it anywhere you want, like in this forum (Evernote General Discussion). If it's specific to a particular Evernote client, then put that in the topic and title; it'll probably get moved to the appropriate subforum, and possibly retagged. Lots of people do this, without realizing that it's probably better to post in the Evernote client forum, probably because the General Discussion forum the first one that they see. It's not a big deal, it doesn't stop people from posting, and things generally tend to work themselves out.

By the way, there is no Mac forum, there's an Evernote forum, for purposes of discussing the Evernote client, and you can tag a topic in that forum as Mac-specific (or WIndows, or Android, etc.). Go to that forum, start a new topic. It should lead you through the process. It's not that hard. Having topics tagged by platform can help other users to filter topics pertaining to that platform (you can do this from the main forum), and can help possible responders to focus on topics that they may be able to handle more readily (e.g. I will typically avoid Mac tagged topics, as I am not a Mac users).

It would probably be easier if there were separate subforums for the different clients, but as I say, it's not that hard.

• Level 5*

"Go to that forum, start a new topic. It should lead you through the process.."

You are right: it should. As I stated above, it does not.  Last week it did, but that function no longer exists.

I just tried it. Added tags, set a category. It all worked fine. Not sure what's going on in your case.

The problem with this forum site, is that if you go to the main URL, https://discussion.evernote.com/, there is NO guidance on how to start a new topic.  There are NO buttons or links to "Start New Topic" on this main page.

Well, the button clearly labeled "start new topic" (on that page) would be a clue for most people. I'd guess it's working fairly well, since many users (new and old) have been starting new topics through out the years this exact board has been running. If people can't figure out that's the place to start, I doubt having a link to "guidance" on starting a new topic would be very helpful.

Good grief...a tutorial on starting a new topic...??? Oy...

• Level 5*

BNF, did you actually look at the page I referenced ( https://discussion.evernote.com/) ??

There is no "Start New Topic" on that page.

Just because it is obvious to you how to start a new topic, does NOT mean it is to others.

The problem with this forum site, is that if you go to the main URL, https://discussion.evernote.com/, there is NO guidance on how to start a new topic.  There are NO buttons or links to "Start New Topic" on this main page.

Well, the button clearly labeled "start new topic" (on that page) would be a clue for most people. I'd guess it's working fairly well, since many users (new and old) have been starting new topics through out the years this exact board has been running. If people can't figure out that's the place to start, I doubt having a link to "guidance" on starting a new topic would be very helpful.

Good grief...a tutorial on starting a new topic...??? Oy...

If people can't figure out that's the place to start, I doubt having a link to "guidance" on starting a new topic would be very helpful.

And to prove my point...

Scroll to bottom & click help:

https://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=core&module=help

Click 'topics & forums':

"To add a new topic, press the Start new Topic button. This may not be available for all forums. In forums where you cannot create a topic you will see "You cannot start a new topic" in place of the button."

There's a point in time where you have to give your audience credit for being smarter than a doorknob.

• Level 5*

We seem to be viewing different pages.  When I sign in, I do NOT see "Start New Topic" on the main page:

EN-Forum-Main-Page.gif

Do you really expect new users to scroll to the bottom and click on "topics & forums" ???

BNF, It is clear that you have NO clue about how normal users think or act when they are just trying to find help in solving their problem.

BNF, It is clear that you have NO clue about how normal users think or act when they are just trying to find help in solving their problem.

I clicked on the link *you* provided.

Yes, I'd think if a *normal* user couldn't figure out how to start a new topic, they just might go to the help page.

• Level 5*

BNF, I see that you are not denying that there is NOT a "Start New Topic" on the main forum page.  This is not just the link I provided, it is the main Evernote Discussion page, the same link that is provided on Evernote.com for "Communities", on the Evernote support page at https://evernote.com/contact/support/.

So, just as the original poster complained, it is hard to determine "How to start a new topic in a particular forum".

I find it most interesting that you are trying to defend this hard to use forum, while all over these Evernote forums you continue to regurgitate that you have left Evernote because you no longer find it usable.  So why are you even here?  Are you trying to sabotage Evernote?  You really don't have a clue as to how to best support normal users.

Yes, I'd think if a *normal* user couldn't figure out how to start a new topic, they just might go to the help page.

BNF, I see that you are not denying that there is NOT a "Start New Topic" on the main forum page.

YES, THERE IS A "START NEW TOPIC" BUTTON ON THE LINK YOU PROVIDED. SCREENSHOT IS IN ONE OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS IN THIS THREAD.

Well, the button clearly labeled "start new topic" (on that page) would be a clue for most people.

Good grief...

I honestly have nothing more to add to this...

Keep calm & struggle on...

• Level 5

@JMichael: I checked it, there is indeed a "start new topic" button if I am logged in. I don't know why you are not seeing it. I see from your screenshot that you are logged in as well. Are you using some add blocker or java script blocker?

Bildschirmfoto%202014-12-01%20um%2008.57

• Level 5*

JMichael,

Clicked your link, don't know what to tell you. Same screen as BnF above. Windows 7/chrome for what it is worth.

And when would my word not be good enough and I would have to provide a screenshot? I know it's not what you meant so maybe think about what you are typing. Pretty hard to be confused about a start new topic button doing a Hamlet.

• Level 5*

This is indeed very strange.  I have viewed https://discussion.evernote.com/ on 3 browsers on my Mac running Mavericks and NONE of the show the "Start New Topic" button.  I also checked and I don't have any "blockers" enabled for any of these browsers.

All I can say is that if I am not seeing it (as shown by my screenshot above), the perhaps other users don't see it either.

• Level 5

OK, another idea: Could it be a locale related issue? I changed the language to chinese and the "Start New Topic" button didn't change its text whereas other buttons do. But it is always there for me.

Archived