Can anyone tell me where my data is stored?

I'm looking at using Evernote for important business files, etc. If I decide to do this, I need to know that there is a backup happening somewhere in case something happens (such as a crash, Evernote disappears, you know, things you don't want to happen). Can anyone help me be reassured that I won't lose my files should the unexpected happen?

thanks!

• Level 5*

For almost all cases, your notes are stored on the Evernote servers, and to some extent, on your local devices. All note syncing activity goes through the Evernote servers.

For desktop users (Windows, Mac), your notes are stored in whole on your device. Desktop users can create local notebooks, which are by definition, not synced to the Evernote servers, so that's an exception to the above rule. Normal notebooks are synced to the Evernote servers. If you have local notebooks, you must back them up yourself.

For mobile users (Android, iOS), you may have notes cached on your device for quicker access (and premium users can designate a notebook as "offline", which causes its notes to be cached on the device at all times). In general, when you're online, notes are synced to the device for editing, and changes are synced back to the Evernote servers. If you're offline, modified notes will need to wait before they can get synced.

Thank you so much for the information. So, if I'm understanding right, essentially all content I am putting on Evernote is being stored both on my desktop (mac) and on the evernote server, unless I create local notebooks which then are only on my computer and not on Evernote server. Is that correct?

• Level 5*

Thank you so much for the information. So, if I'm understanding right, essentially all content I am putting on Evernote is being stored both on my desktop (mac) and on the evernote server, unless I create local notebooks which then are only on my computer and not on Evernote server. Is that correct?

Exactly.

That's my understanding too. In a nutshell. 

Jefito pretty much covered all bases.

One thing I do for when I'm out and about: I make sure that on my iPhone client I have not switched on "Synchronize On WiFi Only". That way, since I have a basic 3G connection, if my cellphone gets stolen, any new data input since I left home has not gone with it (since it would have already been synced). 

• Level 5*

I'm looking at using Evernote for important business files, etc. If I decide to do this, I need to know that there is a backup happening somewhere in case something happens (such as a crash, Evernote disappears, you know, things you don't want to happen). Can anyone help me be reassured that I won't lose my files should the unexpected happen?

thanks!

A local backup from your PC/Mac is essential to ensuring that ALL of your data is protected.

You might find these articles helpful:

For EN Mac, you can determine the Evernote Folder/Database by:

• Goto menu Evernote Mac > About Evernote
  • Hold down the OPTION key to reveal the link to your EN Account folder

You can also export you EN Notes as HTML files, which might be the best way to move them to another system, in case that need should arise.

One thing to be aware of is that when you export your Notes as ENEX files, the ENEX file does NOT contain the following:

• Notebook name
  • Tag hierarchy (you much check the box to preserve Tags w/o hierarchy)
  • The original GUID
    • Links to Note will be invalid/broken if you have to use the ENEX to restore the Note
  • 1 year later...
On 31/10/2014 at 8:14 PM, JMichaelTX said:

For EN Mac, you can determine the Evernote Folder/Database by:

• Goto menu Evernote Mac > About Evernote
  • Hold down the OPTION key to reveal the link to your EN Account folder

just wanted to add JMichaelTX's post about the whereabouts of the database file above is still correct as of february 2016

note that you must be logged in for it to work

i found it very difficult to find recent and accurate infomation on where the database file is, so really want to bump this post

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, 10010100101 said:

i found it very difficult to find recent and accurate infomation on where the database file is

I'm not sure what you're looking for; from what you quoted - it seems to all the information you need 

• 3 months later...

Evernote files are kept in a database file ending .exb.

The first part of the file is your Evernote username - i.e. graham1234567.exb

Example: On my computer (Windows 7) my Evernote file is in the folder C:\Users\graham\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

To find your Evernote database change graham to your whatever your username login is.

Or simply search your computer for .exb files.

NB: On another note I am surprised and concerned that it is just one file, as this will vulnerable to corruption. Are there any nightmare stories of people losing their whole endnote files to corruption?

Archived