(Archived) View Shared Notebooks in Client App

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
i upgraded to premium version specifically to use shared folders in the desktop windows product - please tell me how to make them work in version 3.5.1.

brad

To share, right click notebook name, properties. sharing & collaboration options. As mentioned above, to view folders shared to you (you're not the owner), you must use the web client.

BTW, I think free accounts can share/use shared notebooks.

I cannot seem to view notebooks shared with me in the client app. Am I doing something wrong? I can access the shared notebook on the web.

I'd like to add my vote for an enhancement to access shared notebooks not owned by you in the desktop client apps and ask that, if at all possible, this enhancement come soon. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another second/third/forth/whatever here!! This seemed like such an obvious feature that I thought I must be doing something wrong in the Mac client app. Kindof a bummer. I know this stuff takes time to program for each client, but man this is a biggie. Bump that sucker to the top! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Add me to the crowd asking for Notebook sharing at the client level. I love Evernote - and would love to see this feature added.

Thanks to the Evernote team for your development - Evernote's a tool I can't live without.

Kstoneman

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all above.

As a developer myself I know this is lots of work, but I see it as THE top priority to push Evernote into the corporate/business sector.

I am working with several partners all over the world and Evernote would make our lives much easier.

Dropbox already helps tremendously, but Dropbox and Evernote are all we could dream of and we would all immediately go Premium (I already am).

So, stop reading these forum posts, start coding!

I am incredulously stupefied that a) shared notebooks are not in the client apps and B) The folks at evernote have been sitting on this for at least 7 months. WT#

I purchased two premium subscriptions for the SOLE PURPOSE of getting a shared notebook with my wife. Neither of us come anywhere near any other requirement that necessitates the premium service. And to think I was feeling bad I used the service for some time as a free user. Now I feel so ripped off I want to cancel.

I am a developer. I have written software that synchronizes across multiple systems. Big deal. Just get it done. It should be top priority. For the past six months you have pushed out at least a half dozen changes that appear to be little nitty bug fixes that have had no impact on usability or productivity. The Mac and the PC versions still are nothing alike and now I learn about this sharing breakdown. Who is prioritizing and what?

• 3 weeks later...

I also have gone through the same process of

1. Start using free Evernote

2. Love it

3. Get colleague to try it out

4. Both purchase Premium (thankfully only 1 month!)

5. Then realize we can't share notebooks in the client (which was the whole reason we purchased Premium service)

Serious oversight guys, at least adjust your website messaging to point out that premium DOES NOT allow notebook sharing in the client. Finding out the hard way does not make your customers happy.

In other news, when will this be released?

Obviously we're all clamoring for it big time, and it will springboard Evernote from toy to serious collaboration tool.

Consider this another vote to move this feature to top priority.

Love using Evernote (Premium) and just had my wife purchase a Premium account as well, specifically so we can share notebooks. I just assumed that it would be through the client apps too as the web version is really helpful.

Another big vote for this feature please!

I'll jump on this bandwagon as well. We are really disappointed that we can't effectively share a notebook among our team members. We would be happy even if the sharing was limited web platform (without all of the device syncing features). While it appears that we can sort of do this, other users can't easily add to the shared notebook. For example, they can't use the "Add to Evernote" features to clip info and send it to the shared notebook.

"Sharing" is a threshold issue for us. I love Evernote but I'll have to find another platform if I can't make this work somehow. So two questions:

1) Any suggestions on a work-around that I'm missing?

2) When can we realistically expect a software upgrade to address this?

I couldn't believe it when i came upon this thread... THIS IS SUCH A BASIC REQUEST:

PEOPLE WANT TO TRULY *SHARE* NOTEBOOKS, SO THAT MULTIPLE USERS CAN UPLOAD CLIPPINGS TO THE SAME *SHARED* NOTEBOOK.

HEY, DAVE ENGBERG and anyone else who works at Evernote and in any way cares about your users:

WHY CAN'T YOU MAKE THIS HAPPEN, NOW?

I would also be buying multiple premium memberships for my company if this feature worked.

Instead, I'm now researching how I can get my money back and go back to a BASIC membership, as this was the key reason I went premium a couple of days ago.

Honestly, to not have this feature and to see how long this thread has been going on, leads me to believe that Evernote doesn't listen to its users. (And that's not good for users or for Evernote.)

HEY, ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF ANOTHER NON-EVERNOTE SOLUTION THAT WORKS FOR EASILY POSTING SHARED WEB-PAGES (AND NOT JUST LINKS)?

Honestly, to not have this feature and to see how long this thread has been going on, leads me to believe that Evernote doesn't listen to its users.

Your post leads me to believe you didn't read this thread...

as this was the key reason I went premium a couple of days ago.

...or do your due diligence.

Instead, I'm now researching how I can get my money back and go back to a BASIC membership

The search function is your friend. Search for posts by engberg with the word refund.

I would argue that it's not an issue of my not doing "due diligence" ... as much as it is Evernote not properly explaining the limitations of what Evernote calls "sharing."

If Evernote is not going to develop an obvious functionality, that's been repeatedly requested, then they should list the limits to how Evernote defines "shared" folders and the ability to "edit," which my guess is most people consider to include contributing clips.

If you are not going to properly research the program and find out what it currently can and cannot do before buying a Premium membership then that is entirely on you not Evernote. This program is amazing and free, it is also still very new. Give it time people and read up before you jump in. Spending hours a day responding to comments from people that can't be bothered to do their research takes time from development. Therefore your complaining only slows the release of the feature you so desire.

Love Evernote.

Disappointed that your big feature announcement is a bunch of marketing ***** I have clicked (and will click) only once instead of a feature like shared notebooks in the client which I would use every day. In fact, once shared notebooks are in the client, we'll be re-engineering several processes in my company and getting licenses for most of our employees. Hopefully it's soon.

• Level 5*
Disappointed that your big feature announcement is a bunch of marketing ***** I have clicked (and will click) only once instead of a feature like shared notebooks in the client which I would use every day. In fact, once shared notebooks are in the client, we'll be re-engineering several processes in my company and getting licenses for most of our employees. Hopefully it's soon.

Fortunately, marketers don't typically program, and the engineers can keep coding along.

~Jeff

I want to add another request for this feature.

Sharing notes is being marketed as one of the key features.

Not having access to them in the Desktop versions makes it unusable for me in some parts.

I want to use evernote in my company to synchronize notes and data between a bunch of field engineers.

We have 2 key requests for shared notes:

- Available online and offline. Currently there is no offline availability (as it would need Desktop version support for shared notebooks). The web version is nice, but less usable as the native client.

- Security/Encryption. Having the shared notebook just "secure" by an obscure link is just security by obscurity. There is absolutely nothing that prevents anyone who knows the link URL to access it. I would like/suggest to have private sharing tied to an evernote account. Currently sharing is insecure. (Yes, I know of encrypting notes, but its useless to encrypt each and every note just to get basic security).

Urgent plus one for this please. My wife wants a shared notebook for a grocery list that she can access from her iPhone. Carrying around her laptop in the grocery store just looks dumb. People make fun of her. So really, if you implement sharing on the mobile client you will be making the world a better place by stopping the grocery store bullies from making fun of her laptop.......

Git er done.

Thanks

Hi Just wonder,

When is this going to be a reality.

I noticed through several youtube clips, this feature was announce a year ago.

This is a must have, as premium user, I feel like buying a service which lacks this ability.

TIA

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to bump this request. But, for now, I'm still figuring out how to make the sharing on the web work - the person I'm sharing with can't get web clippings to go to that shared folder. There is no option. It makes her log in to her account and that folder isn't in the list. Ugh. I posted about this in another thread earlier - would love some tips.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Dave Enberg or anoter Evernoter

re:Viewing Shared Notebooks in the Client App

I have read through some of the threads on this form.

I see that

a) The requirement has been around for a long time

:D It seems to be in the OSX version of the Client App

c) This led me to assume that it was also available in the Windows version

d) I downloaded the Windows version today and it isn;t there

So bearing in mind

a) The OSX version has it

B) Some businesses that want to sign up for premium (like ours) want to use Sharing from Clients

c) These businesses are usually predominantly Windows and Mac in the minority

Can we expect it soon?

The way we roll out Evernote is influenced by the road fwd.

Surely you are close if the Mac client has Shared folders?

Thanks

• Level 5*
Can we expect it soon?[/quote|

It appears to be a high-priority item for them, but they do not usually pre-announce feature ship dates.

[quote|The way we roll out Evernote is influenced by the road fwd.

Surely you are close if the Mac client has Shared folders?

That's only assuming that the Mac and the Windows clients share code bases, particularly in the UI, which is unlikely.

The Mac and Windows platforms are completely separate with different teams of engineers, and different sets of bugs to fix, etc.

Mac happened to finish this earlier than Windows, so we released it instead of artificially delaying it for a few months, but we're still working hard to get this done on Windows.

Thanks!

Archived