search results are not highlighted

Pico-Thai

• Level 5*

If the document content is visible in a note,  then a "current context" search should highlight the content.  If it's not visible,  then an application which reads or edits the content should be able to find all occurrences.  I don't know how far the highlighting feature can go in marking words in multi-page documents,  particularly if it occurs more than once...

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar problem.  I can search notebooks, but the results are only highlighted in some of them, and not all.  Not sure why that is happening, but it is truly frustrating to have to scroll up and down to find the highlighted word/phrase you're looking for.  Is it the way I'm searching that's causing this issue, or is it just the nature of the beast?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Level 5*
On 9/29/2014 at 0:42 AM, Pico-Thai said:

searching for a content in a document or pdf , should the result of the search not be highlighted ??

Without , finding the searched subject can be very cumbersome

The EN search will find notes with the PDFs that contain the search text.  And for some PDFs the search text will be highlighted in the PDF when you change pages using the EN viewer (appears when you hover over the PDF).  If not you do have to open the PDF and use the find function therein (typically Ctrl-F) to find the search text.

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5
On 7/14/2016 at 10:44 AM, rcspencer1 said:

I'm having a similar problem.  I can search notebooks, but the results are only highlighted in some of them, and not all.  Not sure why that is happening, but it is truly frustrating to have to scroll up and down to find the highlighted word/phrase you're looking for.  Is it the way I'm searching that's causing this issue, or is it just the nature of the beast?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

A little more information may help. What kind of content do the notes have when the results are not highlighted? Plain text, material copied from Web pages (perhaps HTML), PDFs, images?

• Level 5
3 hours ago, rcspencer1 said:

It's just plain text, most of which has been copied in to a notebook from a notepad file, a Word document, or an Outlook note.  I haven't yet advanced to adding content from pdf's, html, etc :>)   Thank you

Well, that does make it extremely puzzling, beyond me for sure. Hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, rcspencer1 said:

It's just plain text, most of which has been copied in to a notebook from a notepad file, a Word document, or an Outlook note.  I haven't yet advanced to adding content from pdf's, html, etc :>)   Thank you

Plain text is working for me, Windows beta, but before then as well, example below.  Some words like a, and, the won't be highlighted.

ScreenClip.png

Thanks, csihilling.  It's working sometimes for me, just like you show, but other times it finds the search but I have to scroll up/down to actually see the highlighted word....very strange.  In any case, I'm sure I can live with it, but do you know how to quickly go to the next instance of the search that it finds?   In other words, if in your example there was another "message" further down, how do you quickly go to that such as doing a search in a Word document?   Thank you.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rcspencer1 said:

Thanks, csihilling.  It's working sometimes for me, just like you show, but other times it finds the search but I have to scroll up/down to actually see the highlighted word....very strange.  In any case, I'm sure I can live with it, but do you know how to quickly go to the next instance of the search that it finds?   In other words, if in your example there was another "message" further down, how do you quickly go to that such as doing a search in a Word document?   Thank you.

You are welcome.   To find other instances of text inside a long note I would use Ctrl-F, same as you can do in Word.  

Archived