Fonts too small on Surface Pro 3 (Clipped Articles)

mrbobmac

Idea

One of my favorite features of Evernote is being able to clip web articles to read later on my own time. This has really helped my productivity. I use one tag for unread articles, then delete ones I want to keep or change the tag for permanent archiving. It's a dream come true.

I recently purchased a Windows Surface Pro 3, and have run into a problem with the 60 articles in my current "Unread Articles" tag: The font is so small the article is unreadable. The clipped font comes in at 7 point, which is already small. But the Surface Pro resolution is so high that many Windows Desktop apps become unusable (e.g., the buttons are so small they cannot be touched).

I tried reducing the screen resolution 50%, but when I opened Evernote, it was unchanged. (Attempting to...) Using the mouse scroll wheel to enlarge like I do in Word or Publisher also had no effect.

I did try the Evernote Touch app, which made the font larger, but I don't want to use the App... for the primary reason I do not want two copies of every note on my Surface. The Windows Desktop version is much more robust and I would prefer to work only in one environment.

Am I missing a way to (a) enlarge the entire Evernote interface or at least ( B) enlarge the font to a readable size?

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Users have been requesting a "zoom" feature for YEARS which enlarges the entire window without changes the font size.

Just about every other app today provides a ZOOM feature.

Evernote UI Designers:  Please provide a ZOOM feature on all clients.

@mrbobmac - I have been having same problems with my Surface Pro 3. I use Evernote on multiple PCs and fonts render just fine. When I pull up the same notes in Surface Pro 3 it changes all the font sizes. I tried in both clients (Surface Pro 3 and other PCs) to change default font from Tahoma to Arial thinking it would fix. It did change the fonts, however it does the same thing and makes the font extremely small. I am very surprised I can't find more people reporting this problem, although it seems specific to the SP3.

• Level 5*

Heh - full marks for a stylish reminder.  I can only refer you to my answer #7 above,  since Evernote haven't commented further - but I didn't realise the 'too small' camp were mainly complaining about the menu bar;  that is something that should be fixable!

I agree that this is extremely frustrating.. My Surface Pro 3 which I use for work is really tempting me to jump ship to One Note because of how horrible the Evernote experience is on it. Text is barely readable.. How is it that Evernote can not design an app to acknowledge Window 8.1's automated DPI scaling like many other apps can do that are much smaller than Evernote is? It is almost as if no attention is given to the Windows platform as far as design is concerned. I was very pleased with the Mac version that I use on my home machines though. Evernote please address this!

I provided EN evidence of the scaling issues through a support ticket. The response was "This is a bug and I reported it to our product team for resolution. I’m not sure when the issue will be resolved."

My workaround has been that I can only use font size 10. Anything smaller doubles and anything bigger halves. So much for utilizing the functionality in Notes.

As ivan_PL points out, aside from the font problem, everything else is scaled too small including buttons, etc.

I wish it would be addressed faster as it really does make it almost unusable.

I provided EN evidence of the scaling issues through a support ticket. The response was "This is a bug and I reported it to our product team for resolution. I’m not sure when the issue will be resolved."

My workaround has been that I can only use font size 10. Anything smaller doubles and anything bigger halves. So much for utilizing the functionality in Notes.

As ivan_PL points out, aside from the font problem, everything else is scaled too small including buttons, etc.

I wish it would be addressed faster as it really does make it almost unusable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try increasing the font size, although its a clunky workaround but all that can be done at this time. I'll submit a support ticket as well to hopefully "remind" them of issue. I also agree that its not just isolated to the font. The entire interface needs to be addressed.

Hopefully it comes soon..

My problem is not with the Surface but on a Windows laptop, but the font size drop down menu can't be seen. Makes it hard to change font sizes. Frustrating.

I have also submitted a ticket for it. Will have to wait to hear back. Ticket# 846400

post-238684-0-36390800-1417385879_thumb.

Archived