Long Web Articles

Greetings! Some of my favorite web sites break up long articles over several subsequent web pages. When I want to save one of these articles to Evernote, I will get only one of the pages. How do I get the entire article? Do I need to save each page and combine them somehow? That sounds cumbersome. Hoping for a better solution.

This is a frustrating strategy by websites to increase ad space and it has unpleasant side effects such as what you are experiencing. 

One option is to choose "simplified article" in the clipper prior to clipping. This should attempt to pick up the article across pages, but it isn't always successful (and you lose formatting, if that is important). 

Some articles also offer a "see all" or "show entire article" or something similar at the bottom of the first page. if this is offered (and only a few sites seem to offer it), then you could click that first. 

A final, more cumbersome workaround is to use Pocket (www.getpocket.com), install the browser extension, and save the article to Pocket, which may be better at dealing with multipage articles. From Pocket, you can then send the full text to Evernote. You may be able to automate this process with IFTTT (http://www.IFTTT.com) depending on your needs. 

• Level 5*

Also, some articles offer a "print view", which will show the entire article, sometimes simplified as well. Look for that. I don't think that there's a general solution, though.

Instapaper and then forward to Evernote.

Unless things have changed, I've had difficulty getting the full text from Instapaper into Evernote.... I've found Pocket to reliably convey the full text. Maybe I'll give instapaper another test to double check. 

• Level 5*

mmm, I don't do it often but Instapaper normally works for me. A lot of this is out of control of the app so I don't think it's ever going to be consistent across the whole web.

That's why I like to copy down any really long articles by hand and save them in a set of matching notebooks on a shelf (OK I don't).

Archived