Sharing of Tags

Hi all,

we can share our Evernote notes or notebooks with others.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could share virtual EN notebooks, also known as "Tags", too?

That way, every note with a shared tag could be shared to the same group of people, regardless of the notebook they are.

Do you like the idea? 

Cheers,

Andreas

The idea has come up on these forums before. I definitely agree that this, or something similar to this, would be a great addition to the sharing functionality. I'm currently in a collaborative project that is related to an independent project, but my notes are now spread across two notebooks. If I could share tags (or a similar feature), I wouldn't have to have this unnecessary extra notebook. 

That being said, I can understand why this might be hard to implement. 

Tags are an attribute of a note. Notebooks are an object that contains notes. The mechanics of sharing something based on an attribute could be difficult. For example, when you share a notebook with someone, all the tags used in that notebook come along with it. How would tags be managed in a tag sharing situation such as the one you and I both see as useful?

Further, management of sharing and indeed the mechanisms by which things are shared and administered would need some significant reworking to accommodate this change.

While both of these things could probably be overcome, I think this might be a rather significant undertaking to implement well.

I'd really like to see some more nuanced or flexible sharing options along these lines, for sure, but I can't see them coming terribly soon, but I might just be pessimistic. Or perhaps there's a workaround I haven't thought of yet. 

• Level 5

I gave up using shared notebooks and notes a couple years ago due to the conflicts with my tags and other user tags.  They intermixed into my tag system and caused general confusion - different spellings, singular vs plural, different meanings, etc. 

• Level 5*

Hi all,

Wouldn't it be cool if we could share virtual EN notebooks, also known as "Tags", too?

That way, every note with a shared tag could be shared to the same group of people, regardless of the notebook they are.

Do you like the idea? 

Cheers,

Andreas

Tags are shared, in the sense that the tags that I use in my notebook can be seen and used by someone that I share that notebook with. I share notes between my personal and work account all the time; the tags in the shared notebooks come along too. The problem that I face is that I have identical tag names in both accounts; Evernote doesn't handle that situation very well: the identical tags are replicated in the interface and handled awkwardly. Still most of the time, it's not that big a deal.

Edit: Andreas, I did misread your request. Share-by-tags has been suggested before. Appealing idea in some sense, not sure that I'd use it myself. Not sure of the complexity of implementation vs. that of the current share-by-notebook.

Hi all,

Do you like the idea? 

Cheers,

Andreas

Tags are shared, in the sense that the tags that I use in my notebook can be seen and used by someone that I share that notebook with. I share notes between my personal and work account all the time; the tags in the shared notebooks come along too. The problem that I face is that I have identical tag names in both accounts; Evernote doesn't handle that situation very well: the identical tags are replicated in the interface and handled awkwardly. Still most of the time, it's not that big a deal.

The way tags are handled with shared notebooks is a bit kludgy to say the least (under HIGHLY regulated/administered environments with very clearly laid out tagging, I can see the current implementation working, but those conditions are rarely fulfilled). 

Nevertheless, being able to share a collection of notes with edit permissions defined by some grouping other than a notebook would be pretty nice. Either way there is a pretty big need for refinements to how tags are handled when notes are shared.

I think that's not what he means Jefito.

If I understand correctly he'd like to be able to define some tags to have the property to automaticly share notes (like shared notebooks do).

• Level 5*

I think that's not what he means Jefito.

If I understand correctly he'd like to be able to define some tags to have the property to automaticly share notes (like shared notebooks do).

Yeah, I realized that and was in the process of amending my response.
  • Level 5*

Depending on whether the purpose of sharing-by-tags is simply to inform someone rather than letting them add or edit notes,  you might consider a variation in that Postach.io is a blogging platform that essentially watches a folder and publishes only those notes marked by a specific tag,  or that there are some (several?) to-do applications that will take in a tagged note from Evernote as a task and delegate that task to a nominated third party.

Archived