Tags Syncing issue

antho

I'm migrating from another task manager app to evernote, so first I'm throughly testing it. I found a syncing issue relating to tags and I would like to know if other people can reproduce the problem:

1-In windows desktop version assign a tag to a note (first tag for that note). Sync.

2-Go to web version. Tag get synced OK for that note.

3-Back in desktop, assign a second tag to same note. Sync.

4-In web version tag gets sync OK again in the note.

5-Back in desktop, remove one of the tags from the note. Sync.

6-Web syncs OK and remove tag from note

7-In desktop remove last tag from note so it has no tags now. Sync.

8-In web syncing fails. Note still appears with last tag.

Actually it happens whenever I remove ALL tags from a note, even if you remove all of them at the same time. Then NONE of them are removed from note in web version. So the problem seems to be related to the "any number of tags" to "no tags at all" transition, as tag syncing works if NOT ALL the tags are removed.

Can anyone reproduce it? Any ideas to solve it?

• Level 5*

Can anyone reproduce it? Any ideas to solve it?

If you have a concrete, reproducible scenario, then the best thing to do is to report it to Evernote via a support request: see the link in my signature.

I have the exact same issue.

I often add a tag for keeping a note in mind, but when I remove it in the desktop version, it will not sync to the web. 

Also that note will have the dot in list view which shows that it needs to be sync'd but it does not sync no matter how often I press the new "much improved" sync button that will no longer show me sync progress...

Please fix this, I just re-downloaded my entire database, because I thought my database was corrupted when I checked an saw that the web application did severly differ from my desktop version.

• Level 5*

Thanks for your answers.

Jeff, I assume you could not reproduce the issue, right? As you suggested, I opened a support request, I'll update information about it.

Truly, I didn't try. Sometimes I'll take the time to replicate a problem, but my time in the forums is sometimes limited by my work and personal life (I'm not an Evernote employee).
  • Level 5*

Same issue here.  I just updated to prerelease 5.3.0.2999, though I had the problem in the previous release as well.  I had 13 notes that would not sync.  I went to the web and added a temp tag to the 13 notes and the sync flag on Windows went away after syncing.  I deleted the temporary tag in Windows and the sync flag is again permanent for the 13 notes, plus four more became "unsyncable".  The four new notes were last updated in 2013.  

In a;simple test, ff you modify the note itself (added 3 x's to the first line), sync (asterisk goes away), remove the 3 x's, sync (asterisk stays away) it appears to fix itself.  Though since I had 4 notes appear as unsynced out of the blue, not sure if it will hold.  Don't know why they appear as unsyncable in the first place.

I just submitted a support request.  I haven't spent the time, but I don't know if it is just a sync flag issue or an actual data issue.  I'm thinking about returning to the last public release just in case there is a data issue.

I have already reverted back to v5.1.2.2387 as I am quite busy now at work and the last thing I need right now is wasting my time trying to fix Evernote syncing.

It has already cost me a lot of time and I am quite frankly sick of being used as a beta-tester for rushed updates.

• 3 months later...

I have a similar issue.  I've filed trouble reports with EN, they see the problem, can't address it.

Here is how it manifests itself:

1.  I can add new notes with tags to EN.  They sync perfectly.

2.  If I go to existing notes, add a new tag, change, delete a tag,  then sync, I get sync errors (Cannot connect to servers).  It's intermittent, but at this point it is every 2nd to 3rd time I change tags.

3.  I had thought it was a volume issue--when I first found it, I was trying to change tags on a large number of notes at one time.  I would get the error when I did anything over 20 notes at a time.

4.  More recently, I've tried it with a small number of notes (3-5).  I change the tags on 3-5 notes individually, then try to sync after the change to the 3-5 notes.  It will work once or twice, then I get the sync error.

5.  If I add new notes on the client side afterwards, they will not sync.

6.  The only way to fix it is to delete the data base on the client side (Win8) then download the database from the server side.

7.  I also get the same thing when I try to reorganize notes in notebooks.  If I try to move more than about 5 at a time, I can be successful 1-2 times (with sync's in between), but the 3rd or 4th time, I get the same sync problem.

8.  EN Support has asked me to try back level releases, uninstall/reinstall, clean uninstall/reinstall.  Nothing fixes it.

9.  It is now creating real data base integrity issues, as well as crippling my use of EN.  If I've added notes to EN and haven't synced, then change a tag on an existing note, I get the sync error and have to download a new data base.  I lose all the new notes unless I remember to export them first.

10.  I am now getting this several times a day and find I have to reload my data base at least twice a day  (9+K notes).  At this point EN is so unreliable, that I'm having to revert back to pre EN days for a lot of things I had come to rely on EN for.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

I have a similar issue.  I've filed trouble reports with EN, they see the problem, can't address it.

Here is how it manifests itself:

1.  I can add new notes with tags to EN.  They sync perfectly.

2.  If I go to existing notes, add a new tag, change, delete a tag,  then sync, I get sync errors (Cannot connect to servers).  It's intermittent, but at this point it is every 2nd to 3rd time I change tags.

3.  I had thought it was a volume issue--when I first found it, I was trying to change tags on a large number of notes at one time.  I would get the error when I did anything over 20 notes at a time.

4.  More recently, I've tried it with a small number of notes (3-5).  I change the tags on 3-5 notes individually, then try to sync after the change to the 3-5 notes.  It will work once or twice, then I get the sync error.

5.  If I add new notes on the client side afterwards, they will not sync.

6.  The only way to fix it is to delete the data base on the client side (Win8) then download the database from the server side.

7.  I also get the same thing when I try to reorganize notes in notebooks.  If I try to move more than about 5 at a time, I can be successful 1-2 times (with sync's in between), but the 3rd or 4th time, I get the same sync problem.

8.  EN Support has asked me to try back level releases, uninstall/reinstall, clean uninstall/reinstall.  Nothing fixes it.

9.  It is now creating real data base integrity issues, as well as crippling my use of EN.  If I've added notes to EN and haven't synced, then change a tag on an existing note, I get the sync error and have to download a new data base.  I lose all the new notes unless I remember to export them first.

10.  I am now getting this several times a day and find I have to reload my data base at least twice a day  (9+K notes).  At this point EN is so unreliable, that I'm having to revert back to pre EN days for a lot of things I had come to rely on EN for.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Hi - your experience seems to be unusual,  particularly in having to refresh your database repeatedly.  My suggestions would have been to

1. Empty the trash notebook via the web and desktop versions of Evernote and check for any "conflicting changes" entries
  2. Exit Evernote,  backup your database,  Revo uninstall your instance of Evernote completely,  download a fresh installer from Evernote.com and set the application up again.
  3. Rename your database file and re-populate it from the server.
  4. Use a package like the free Glary Utilities to check your hard drive and system for general errors,  repeating steps 1 and 2 if any significant errors are found.
  5. Run malware and antivirus checks on your system.
  6. Revo uninstall again and step back to any previous version of the software that worked for you in the past.
  7. If by that stage the errors were still coming I'd request a copy of the Activity Log to see whether a corrupted note or a bad connection might be part of the problem.

(That's a summary and there are things you should do like exporting all unsynced notes,  keeping backups and restarting the computer that you'll find in more detailed explanations on the forums if you need them)

It sounds as though you may have already tried most or all of those - can you explain in more detail what Support have said on this? Being unable to replicate your fault means that it's probably not something native to the software,  but down to the resources or environment of your computer;  they should still have suggested most of the above...

• 2 months later...

I have also had an issue several times, which seems like the same (or very similar). I would describe it as:

I have two computers running Evernote. Everything is synced.

I create a new tag on the first computer (usually by tagging a new note with the new tag).

I then move the tag to where I want it in the hierarchy.

I then tag a bunch of other notes with the new tag (notes which have normally already been synced).

When I sync on the first and then on the second computer, the new tag is not there and the new tag is missing from the notes that should now have it.

Re-syncing several times does not solve the problem. The new tag that I added on the first computer is just not there and none of the notes that should have it, have it.

It's possible that how I an creating the tag, or the fact that I then move the tag in the hierarchy is part of the problem; I haven't verified that, but that's when I have seen the problem.

I'm sure this is an Evernote bug, but there is a quick and easy work-around that does not require backing up and restoring the whole database.

SIMPLE WORKAROUND:

I go back to the first computer and select the new tag, so that all the notes that have that tag are shown.

I have a tag called "Temp" that I use for this type of operation which is already synced across both computers, but does not normally have any notes assigned to it.

I select all of those notes which have the new tag and drag them to the "Temp" tag.

I sync on the first computer, then on the second computer.

The second computer will now show the same number of notes under the Temp tag that the first computer had.

At this point, the new tag also usually appears and syncs properly.

If the new tag doesn't appear at this point, it can be manually created on the second computer as well (with exactly the same name in the exact same place in the hierarchy) and all of the notes with the Temp tag can be manually selected and dragged to the new tag, in effect manually syncing the two instances of Evernote.

I can then remove the Temp tag from all of the notes that have it.

In other words, the act of assigning the notes that have the new tag with a known common tag between the two instances of Evernote and then syncing seems to prompt Evernote to figure it out and generate the new tag.

The bug does not happen very often and I believe it has to do with the way I'm creating the new tag (i.e. by just adding a new tag name to a note, then finding the tag and moving it in the tag hierarchy). Probably if I were to add the tag into the hierarchy in the first place and sync the two computers before tagging notes with it, the problem would not happen. I'll do further testing on this when I get a chance.

Rick.

• Level 5*

@Rick - thanks for your comments:  if you haven't already raised a support request on this issue linked to your post,  I'd recommend that you do.  It'll advise Evernote that there is something to look at here,  even if you don't get much in the way of feedback from it.

Hi!

I also have a permanent issue with tags syncing:

A few weeks ago, I wanted to start using some more tags, in addition to some old tags I used before. I tagged a lot of older notes with those new tags, but none of them sync to the web. But the other way around syncing 'works': when I change the content (e.g. the title) of one of those note, that have a tag only on Desktop but not on the web, the tag disappears in the Desktop App after syncing. So, the tag information gets downloaded, but not uploaded. I receive no error messages at all. Notes syncing works perfeclty, it's only the new tags that don't sync. If I add a new note on Desktop and tag it with one of the old tags, tag syncing works.

I submitted a support request nearly a month ago, today it got answered: "We are unable to personally answer your inquiry. I'm closing this request today and encourage you to find the answer to your inquiry via a search on the Evernote Support page or with our active user community in the Evernote forums."

That's what I'll try now.

By the way: on just the same day I raised an issue with Google - received a personal answer within the same day! With active interaction following. Which is amazing, I think there's quite a few people using Google services out there...

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,

Peter

• Level 5*

Sometimes Evernote seems to get confused by mass editing of tags.  You could try the quick and easy steps to uninstall, restart and reinstall your Evernote app - bearing in mind to back up your database first;  and if that doesn't help you could try the longer and more involved step of renaming your database file so Evernote will rebuild it from the server.  You need to be sure you have no unsynced notes,  and no local (unsynced) notebooks before you take that step.

Archived