Selectively removing offline notes to save local storage (IOS)

Evernote is consuming 2.4 GB of storage on my iPad Air.  This comes from selectively downloading notes when I need to access them offline.  How can I remove the downloaded notes without deleting them from the server.  I need to free up storage.

• Level 5*

You should be able to clear the cache and start over, at least you can do this on the Android client. Strange that the OS isn't taking care of that for you, unless you're using offline notebooks, in which case, you'd need to move some notes from any offline notebook to a normal notebook.

• Level 5*

Evernote is consuming 2.4 GB of storage on my iPad Air.  This comes from selectively downloading notes when I need to access them offline.  How can I remove the downloaded notes without deleting them from the server.  I need to free up storage.

Did you go into the Evernote Offline Notebooks setting and UNCHECK the Notebooks that you no longer want offline?

Once you do this Evernote should remove the Notes for these Notebooks, and release the storage back to the iPad iOS.

I don't know how long it will take to release the storage.  Perhaps an Evernote employee can enlighten us.

If it doesn't appear that the storage is released in a reasonable amount of time, you can always remove the Evernote app, restart your iPad, and reinstall Evernote.  This should definitely clear the storage.

• 2 months later...

kross76, I had a similar problem. After returning from two weeks in Taipei, I de-selected trip-specific offline notebooks on my iPad, but was still seeing 2.3Gb tied up in the Usage panel. Next, I did an EN sync...no change. Quit the app and restarted...no change. Shut down and restarted the iPad...again, no change.

Finally had to delete the app completely, then reinstall. That seems to be the solution, albeit an awkward way to get there.

Heads up:

Before you delete the app, make a note of what you have set up under "Customize Home Screen" since things will revert to defaults.

- - - - - - - 

P.S. Just checked the iPhone. Same problem, same solution. Weird.

• Level 5*

I know that the Android client has a "Clear Cache" operation in the settings that clears notes that are not in offline notebooks from your device (doesn't affect their presence on the server). Don't know whether there's a similar feature on iOS.

It should clean up the old synced Notebooks, but in my experience it does not. I had to do the same thing as PaperQueen: delete and reinstall the entire app on iOS.

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to clear the cache and start over, at least you can do this on the Android client. Strange that the OS isn't taking care of that for you, unless you're using offline notebooks, in which case, you'd need to move some notes from any offline notebook to a normal notebook.

Do you mean that once I've changed a notebook's setup designation so it's no longer available offline the records previously stored on my ios device will be cleared and the memory space made available for other purposes?

Do you mean that once I've changed a notebook's setup designation so it's no longer available offline the records previously stored on my ios device will be cleared and the memory space made available for other purposes?

In theory, yes. it will become space that is up for grabs. It may not make it available until some other application starts requesting space, in which case the cache will be culled.

You can try and force this by clearing the cache using the button in the settings for Evernote, but this doesn't necessarily always work 100%.

• 4 months later...

In theory, yes. it will become space that is up for grabs. It may not make it available until some other application starts requesting space, in which case the cache will be culled.

You can try and force this by clearing the cache using the button in the settings for Evernote, but this doesn't necessarily always work 100%.

I wonder if the button "clear cash" is still there? Can't see it. And if not, any ideas about how do I actually clear cash? 

Archived