Feature request: drag all checkboxes into one place

Tomass

I use evernote as my task manager and I use checkboxes and the search todo:false to work out what is left to do.

This is great as it helps to provide context for tasks when they're in the relevant note and can help to group tasks together....but it doesn't make for easy reading 'at a glance'.

In order to be able to do that I would love to be able to have a view where I can see all my checkboxes (with any text on the same line) in one place, with a link to the note they came from.

This, I believe, would also mean that the 'Secret Weapon' method of evernote task management could be incorporated into this...

thanks

Since Evernote doesn't provide any means to show aggregated note content at this time, there's no way to do this. You might find a 3rd-party tool that offers this capability in the Evernote Trunk.

thanks for the reply.

I'm not aware of the technical details but appreciate you can't do this at the moment. I just wanted to let the EN peeps know it was valued as a future product feature.

Best.

I also use Evernote to track my ToDo items, and I've recently starting using a saved search to find "Checkboxes".

Attributes > Contains > Unfinished to-do items

That will help you find any un-checked check box... Save that search, drag it to the tool bar, and you're close to what you're looking for.

Steve

• Level 5*

I also use Evernote to track my ToDo items, and I've recently starting using a saved search to find "Checkboxes".

Attributes > Contains > Unfinished to-do items

As best I can tell, that's missing from V5 (or I can't find it), and it will be sorely missed by some, I think. Me anyways.
  • 2 weeks later...

Commenting on the original post, I would LOVE the ability to create a note that consolidates all of the unchecked todo items from all other notes, with that note just showing the first line of the todo item.  This would be a killer feature.  I'm going to presume that Evernote will never create such a feature, but I would pay money for a third party to create a well-integrated solution.

I know you can create a search that identifies all of the notes with unfinished todos.  However, this is a far less elegant solution.  I typically have notes that contain 20-100 lines of text, with only one line representing a todo item.  Instead of having to scroll through each note to find the todo item, the proposed solution would let you quickly see all of your todo items. 

The new reminders feature is nice, but does nothing with respect to above.  I see it as just another way to identify a note that requires some action (e.g., has a todo item in it), but you are still forced to open that note and go through all of it to find the todo item.

• Level 5*

It's be an interesting idea to add a to-do display to the multi-select screen, so that when you selected a bunch of notes, all of the to-dos are displayed in the area below the "action" panel (Email, Merge, Save Attachments, etc.). There's a fair amount of space available. Even better if you could interact with the to-dos.

Commenting on the original post, I would LOVE the ability to create a note that consolidates all of the unchecked todo items from all other notes, with that note just showing the first line of the todo item.  This would be a killer feature.  I'm going to presume that Evernote will never create such a feature, but I would pay money for a third party to create a well-integrated solution.

I know you can create a search that identifies all of the notes with unfinished todos.  However, this is a far less elegant solution.  I typically have notes that contain 20-100 lines of text, with only one line representing a todo item.  Instead of having to scroll through each note to find the todo item, the proposed solution would let you quickly see all of your todo items. 

The new reminders feature is nice, but does nothing with respect to above.  I see it as just another way to identify a note that requires some action (e.g., has a todo item in it), but you are still forced to open that note and go through all of it to find the todo item.

Yeah, at the moment I've changed to re-writing the note's title or just adding a new note as a 'reminder' but pulling them out from within notes into a separate line (and including 'reminders' if desired) is the dream, lol.

• 5 months later...

I am currently using task clone (3party app) to merge all the checkboxes into one evernote notebook. This way I have a good overview of all the open checkboxes (tasks) in one notebook. Task clone with evernote only is free of charge, just test it. The most expensive plan 15,95 per year if you need more tasks cloned.

Next step to merge these into my GTD system...IQTELL

• 1 month later...

@jefito yes, please, this and the lack of headings/structure is what is currently preventing me from fully embracing Evernote. Is there someplace I can add a +1 to the request for a todo-display for a selection of notes (all, notebook, tag, date, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm +1ing also. :)

I love the cross platform ability offered by Evernote, but the one feature that I love about MS Onenote that keeps me tied to them is the ability to do a search for all my "tags" (a todo box being a tag in this environment) and consolidating all of them into one page. This enables me to create a master task list for not only myself, but my assistant as we share a notebook. If Evernote offered this ability, I'd finally be able to dump Onenote all together!

Archived