Creating Notebooks on Mac vs iOS

aukirk

Idea

Is there an easy way to create a new notebook on Evernote 5 for Mac that I am missing?  It is so frustrating when going through the inbox to assign notes to notebooks when I find that I have to create one... which requires you to leave the inbox and go to the Notebooks pages, etc.  In iOS, when you are searching for the notebook it gives you the ability to create a new notebook if there isn't one that matches what you are typing.  I wish they had this for Mac.

To make matters worse, on the Mac when you do create a new notebook it is unnecessarily difficult to get the notebook into the correct stack.  The only way to do this is to drag it, which is tough when you have lots of notebooks and you have to scroll vertically to the right stack.  Even if you right click on the stack where you want to add the notebook, it doesn't put the new notebook in that stack...

Hoping they improve this for those of us who subscribe to the notebooks over tags school of organizing Evernote...

5 replies to this idea

I know it has been awhile since I created this topic, but today I went searching again for a solution or others who run into this frustration and came across my own post (which apparently went nowhere).

@Metrodon -- I certainly know that you can create a new notebook from the file menu or with a keyboard command, but in the Mac app, it still takes you to the Notebook page.  If you are working in a particular note and want to put it in a new notebook, you have to go back and find that note after creating it on the notebook page.  Also, on the notebook page, after you type the name of your notebook it puts it in it's place in the alphabet, and you then need to manually drag and drop it to the stack where you want it.  This is not very easy or intuitive.

Hopefully this forum is monitored, as I would like to suggest that from within the note, when you go to assign it to a notebook... the search box should be a "search or create" box like it is on iOS.  That way if the notebook you are looking for does not exist, you can create it right then.  You would still have the problem of going to the Notebook tab to put it in a stack, but at least you wouldn't have to go back to find the note.

A step further would be after creating the notebook from that drop down, give the ability to right click on the notebook title in a note to bring up an "edit Notebook" window which should have the title and also allow you to select a stack to place it in if you wish.

Maybe I am the only one who would find this useful, but I have gone the route of creating Notebooks instead of tags, and it is much easier to process my inbox on my iOS device, since that often involves creating new notebooks.  However, after processing the inbox on iOS and creating the notebooks, I still have to go to the desktop to put that new notebook in the appropriate stack.

• Level 5*

I know it has been awhile since I created this topic, but today I went searching again for a solution or others who run into this frustration and came across my own post (which apparently went nowhere).

@Metrodon -- I certainly know that you can create a new notebook from the file menu or with a keyboard command, but in the Mac app, it still takes you to the Notebook page.  If you are working in a particular note and want to put it in a new notebook, you have to go back and find that note after creating it on the notebook page.  Also, on the notebook page, after you type the name of your notebook it puts it in it's place in the alphabet, and you then need to manually drag and drop it to the stack where you want it.  This is not very easy or intuitive.

Hopefully this forum is monitored, as I would like to suggest that from within the note, when you go to assign it to a notebook... the search box should be a "search or create" box like it is on iOS.  That way if the notebook you are looking for does not exist, you can create it right then.  You would still have the problem of going to the Notebook tab to put it in a stack, but at least you wouldn't have to go back to find the note.

A step further would be after creating the notebook from that drop down, give the ability to right click on the notebook title in a note to bring up an "edit Notebook" window which should have the title and also allow you to select a stack to place it in if you wish.

Maybe I am the only one who would find this useful, but I have gone the route of creating Notebooks instead of tags, and it is much easier to process my inbox on my iOS device, since that often involves creating new notebooks.  However, after processing the inbox on iOS and creating the notebooks, I still have to go to the desktop to put that new notebook in the appropriate stack.

Hi. The workflow you described isn't possible on the Mac now, but I agree that it would be nice to have it. Fortunately, Evernote staff read everything on the forums, so your suggestion will be seen.

Archived