Photos lack GPS exif data

richjheath

I've started using Skitch to annotate photographs for work. I assess roads/tracks etc and find it useful to take a snap and then annotate it with my notes. Previously, I was using Phonto, but when the image is exported from the app, the GPS data is stripped, which makes the image worthless.

I had hoped that Skitch would retain the data. Currently, this is what I can achieve;

1. Use the iPhone Camera app to take a photo, import that photo, annotate and save back to the camera roll. I now have two photos, one with GPS data and no annotation and the other with annotation and no GPS data. This is cumbersome.

2. Use the camera application within Skitch to manage all my photos and annotations, but I cannot export photographs to the Camera Roll or other means with GPS data embedded. This is vital for reporting etc and would be the preferred solution.

I have checked all the Privacy Data - Location Settings are On with the little GPS arrow present next to Skitch and in the Photo menu under Privacy, Skitch is listed and 'On.'

Any advice would be appreciated. I was playing with Run Keeper today and note that photos taken within the Application retain their GPS data on the iPhone's Camera Roll. This didn't use to be the case, so its a possibility that Skitch can do this.

Thanks and regards

@richjheath - This is on our feature backlog. We can indeed capture the GPS data, but haven't had much demand to store it and make GPS data available. We've been toying with some ideas on how to use this information to add more value to your Notes. 

Hi Joe,

thanks for the feedback. I assumed users would have wanted this feature to recall exactly where a note may have been taken - I sure do. 

The additional metadata to be recorded/stored would only be minor.

Hopefully it gets released one day.

Richard. 

Whilst in Skitch I would be marking up photos with Text and Arrows pointing out significant damage to roads and assets. 

When I export the photo with comments overlayed, the GPS data would make it far easier to layer on a PDF Map (that contains coordinate information) or alternatively, upload to Google Earth.

• 2 months later...

I would also like to see GPS data stored in EXIF tags. Not so much for using within Evernote, because it already handles the location and has a nice atlas. But I when I export a photo out it has no GPS data. That's a pain. What makes it worse is that within Evernote I am now shown the actual GPS data, rather it shows whatever address it located as being close to the exact GPS coordinates. So I can't even copy/paste the long/lat data over to my photo manager software where I am handling the exported photo.

Hopefully this helps illustrate why embedding GPS data might be useful to your users.

• 4 weeks later...

Joe, we're also experimenting with using Evenote to voice tag photos of our field work in Mozambique.  There seem to be very few possibilities for easy voice annotation** of photos, but Evernote accomplishes this nicely.  As Rich points out, the version of the photo saved in my "Photos" album on the iPhone does not contain the same exif data as what seems to be preserved from within Evernote (particularly location data), so when I copy that photo to my iPhoto library or similar it has little to work with.  

Anyway, we now need to take the extra step of taking the photo with Camera, then switching to Evernote, creating a note, and then importing with "Choose Existing" via the camera button, then add the voice annotation.  Is there a reason Evernote doesn't want to simply use the available exif data normally captured by the Camera?

This is not a huge deal, but it is a bit more cumbersome and requires a good bit of training for those who don't understand the whole issue of why we're doing it.  (Then again, they can shoot many photos more rapidly in Camera than in Evernote, then choose which to annotate, so maybe I should just stop there....)

**This is kind of a cool deal that you might capitalize on.  Audio notes are a lot faster than typing things out:  e.g., "Along Channel 6.  At Mamadou Cisse's house on the path about halfway between the spares market and the Alito Bar."  Also of note is that the audio quality within Evernote is quite abysmal. Not a fatal issue, but Apple's Voice Memos is much clearer.

@cellmaker - I'm not sure, but I will forward your question on to the Evernote Product Manager (I handle Skitch). That said I think you save yourself a step and simply capture the image using Evernote's built in camera. You can open a note, touch the camera icon and take 1 (or more pics) to snap into a Evernote note. This should capture your GPS data along with the note. You would then be able to attach the voice note to the same Evernote Note and have your pics and voice recorded with the same Note.

@Joe -

Thanks for your reply.  It's a funny thing.  Evernote clearly captures the GPS data in some form because the program itself will map the photo.  Oddly, if you need to use that photo for another purpose outside of Evernote most of the exif data isn't there.  It's as if the GPS data is captured within the note and not retained within the exif data.  

Cheers.

Hi there

Just to add weight to the request for EXIF GPS data from individual photos. I am a volunteer surveying road verges for specific wild flowers and plants. Any I find are recorded and added to a central database. A photo from my smartphone is really useful, the GPS data in it is an extra bonus. I have just found Evernote and to be able to record this info in the field  and automatically sync to my desktop is a super deluxe time saver. I know that a GPS location is recorded with each note. To record a note for each photo will be really cumbersome, some surveys yield 30-40 plant specimens - just a single record for each survey section with photos and ids for plant samples would be the optimum. Some way to extract the GPS data and append it to each photo would really help.

Thanks for a really powerful piece of software - so much potential

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy Joe & Members:

I have just started using EN for for commercial & residential storm damage restoration marketing in Texas.

There is an Android app called: "Solocator."

Solocator is a camera app with built-in compass & GPS features. Use it to overlay compass readings on photos, show the direction you’re looking at or switch to building mode to capture the elevation of a building face. e.g. North elevation. Email photos with Geo Coordinates, Time taken and link to Google Maps. Or share photos on Facebook & Twitter from the Solocator app.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/solocator-camera-compass-gps/com.solocator

QUESTION:  Is there any way for us to integrate Solocator with EN as Google Maps is integrated with EN... or may there be some kind of a workaround?

Thank much in advance for a prompt response.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

+1 to the EXIF request. It is frustrating that Evernote-captured photos contain NO data - not even "capture time" - rendering them utterly useless for subsequent photo library storage. I'm going through all the Evernote photos I took recently and manually adding GPS/EXIF data using ExifTool now. Not my idea of fun. :(

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I would also like to have GPS data linked to a photo directly taken in Skitch.

I do a lot of road inspection and these data are essential.

Please include this in a next release

Thanks

Jos

Evernote has never weighed in on this subject. I've not retried since - but frustratingly, they've appeared to imply that this request doesn't make sense and is not a priority . :(

• 4 years later...
On 7/24/2013 at 5:50 PM, Seriesman said:

Hi there

Just to add weight to the request for EXIF GPS data from individual photos. I am a volunteer surveying road verges for specific wild flowers and plants. Any I find are recorded and added to a central database. A photo from my smartphone is really useful, the GPS data in it is an extra bonus. I have just found Evernote and to be able to record this info in the field  and automatically sync to my desktop is a super deluxe time saver. I know that a GPS location is recorded with each note. To record a note for each photo will be really cumbersome, some surveys yield 30-40 plant specimens - just a single record for each survey section with photos and ids for plant samples would be the optimum. Some way to extract the GPS data and append it to each photo would really help.

Thanks for a really powerful piece of software - so much potential

Hello

its 5 years later now, and I am encountering the same issue with evernote. Why is it not possible to add EXIF Data to each photo taken with evernote - or added to EN as a note? 

Thank you for your replies and ideas!

Greetings from switzerland

PS: also an integration with a EXIF tool/app, like for instance „photo investigator“ in IOS would be a possibility...

Archived