(Archived) Suggestion: Feature request poll?

• Level 5*

Quite a few feature requests get made in the Forums, some practical, most of them not; and while it's a shame to be negative with anyone posting for the first time, it is often necessary to point out that (forinstance) adding a timer to the menu options so users can keep an eye on their eggs in the morning* will only benefit a small number of users / means spending money rewriting bits of 14+ platforms / and doesn't actually seem likely to earn any cash for the Big Green.

Occasionally though, suggestions get made that could actually add to the usability and popularity of the product; and maybe if enough users said "Timer, yeah!" it would be worth the Powers That Be thinking in more depth about their whole approach to the subject of domestic culinary accessorisation.

We have the time-honoured +1, and the occasional busy thread, but there's no real way to prioritise good ideas over the rest. I have seen other feedback fora use a voting system - listing all the suggestions and allowing users to bump one or another up higher in the list as they see fit. How about having a similar thing here? Then any new feature requests could go into a new Forum section specifically for that purpose, and rather than gathering a few negative comments and an occasional +1 the idea can get voted up or down a list of suggestions by us chickens - kind of like the Dev Cup for ideas.

BG can concentrate on looking at the top few, and honour is served all around. And the devs can stop reading all the threads in search of inspiration. That's possibly a hefty bit of Forum development work there, unless it's a standard feature, so I won't expect anything soon. But I thought it worth putting the comment out there.

* And I made that one up, OK? It's just an eggsample. :P

• Level 5*

You can get some of the flavor of Evernote's thinking in this forum topic: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/12715-requested-features-forum/. here are other posts, I think, but I couldn't find them -- they may have been lost in the Great Forum Makeover. Probably BnF has them in her Evernote, unless she had to jettison them when she went to 100K notes...

You can get some of the flavor of Evernote's thinking in this forum topic: http://discussion.ev...features-forum/. here are other posts, I think, but I couldn't find them -- they may have been lost in the Great Forum Makeover. Probably BnF has them in her Evernote, unless she had to jettison them when she went to 100K notes...

I think that thread pretty much covers it.

(FWIW, I've actually started a couple other accounts in anticipation of getting to the magic 100,000 number. One of them is wholly for sharing notes that contain screen caps of "the lost posts" that were never migrated to the new board. It was either that or write an ebook "Dave Engberg's lost posts.")

• Level 5*

You can get some of the flavor of Evernote's thinking in this forum topic: http://discussion.ev...features-forum/. here are other posts, I think, but I couldn't find them -- they may have been lost in the Great Forum Makeover. Probably BnF has them in her Evernote, unless she had to jettison them when she went to 100K notes...

(FWIW, I've actually started a couple other accounts in anticipation of getting to the magic 100,000 number. One of them is wholly for sharing notes that contain screen caps of "the lost posts" that were never migrated to the new board. It was either that or write an ebook "Dave Engberg's lost posts.")

Sadly, I have nothing but broken links in my account. At the time, I thought it would be sufficient to post links. Oh, how wrong I was!

Sadly, I have nothing but broken links in my account. At the time, I thought it would be sufficient to post links. Oh, how wrong I was!

There's something to be said about being overy OCD. (Is that redundant?) MOST of the time (but not all), I would save the link as well as a screen cap. Saved me from having to pull up the web page in case it wasn't the right post I was looking for.

However...there were many notes I did NOT screen cap or save the URL, since they were so easily found on the old message board with the old message board search function. I really miss that... (Not that the URL would help me now...)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I definatelly agree with your proposal.

I think a vote system like the one used by Remember The Milk* would be a very good solution.

Sure we can post ideas on Forums, but it’s very difficult to understand if our idea was already suggested, and vote on it. I really think a system as the above will bring good insights to users who want Evernote get better, and to Evernote Staff, measure and define future features.

In example bellow we clear understand what are the more demanding features requested, and if the Remember The Milk Team intend and/or can implement it. This is a plus because we can understand the product direction and new features and decide in some cases if will continue to be our favorite application.

* https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/

Archived