(Archived) Remembering all your notes

Hi,

I have over 1100 notes, many of them inspirational or aspirational, and obviously forget about some. I'm wondering if anybody has any tricks to help actually remember all the notes they have.

On sundays I try to go back and review the notes I made for the week but I often am busy and forget to do so or end up not paying attention to my older notes. I have proably forgotten many of the awesome quotes I've collected.

Does anybody have a good workflow or cool hacks they'd like to share?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi,

I have over 1100 notes, many of them inspirational or aspirational, and obviously forget about some. I'm wondering if anybody has any tricks to help actually remember all the notes they have.

On sundays I try to go back and review the notes I made for the week but I often am busy and forget to do so or end up not paying attention to my older notes. I have proably forgotten many of the awesome quotes I've collected.

Thanks!

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I have about 10,000 notes, and most of these are related to my research. There is a fair bit that I forget I have, so I regularly wander through my notes cleaning things up and making note links (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2011/10/21/did-you-know-note-links-and-how-to-use-them/) to other notes. One way that I do this is to pick a topic, make an "index" note for it (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html), open the note in its own window, and then search for the topic in my account. Whatever notes appear, I select them, and then drag them all at once into the index note. This creates note links to all of those notes. Every so often I search for index notes (intitle:index) and I can easily review what I have.

Of course, one could always organize your account with lots of notebooks and tags, but as you saw in the link I posted above, this isn't how I roll :)

Good luck! I look forward to hearing ideas that others have.

• Level 5*

Hi,

Thanks!

I think Tags is a good tool to use for this.

As you create a new Note, assign it one or Tags that are meaningful to you, that will help you categorize your Notes.

You can also use Tags that are helpful for follow-up. I have 3 such tags:

• FU.Action
  • FU.Read
  • TBE (stands for To Be Evaluated)

I also have a tag named "!Fav" that I apply to Notes that are my favorite Note within a category (i.e. a Tag).

If a lot of your notes are quotes, you can also add a Tag that is the author's name.

So, then when you want to review or browse your notes, you can filter by one or more Tags.

You can also filter by Created Date to list Notes created within a given time period.

Hope this helps.

I use a mixture of Notebooks and tags.

Most of the 'organising' is completed as soon as the notes goes into Evernote.

I have specific Notebooks for my hobbies and family. Work Notebooks, again with specific titles.

This works for me so far and have managed to go over the 10,000 mark of notes.

Regards

Chris

More and more, I've become fairly addicted to the search function.

That's not to say organizing by notebooks/tags as mentioned above isn't important - it is. But know that if you DO forget something, the search feature will almost always return what you're looking for.

For example, say you are looking for the awesome Potato & Leek soup you cooked 6 months ago (okay, so this is a real world example LOL). You know it's in your "Recipes" tag, but can't seem to find it on a quick browse. Did you file it under "appetizers", "quick lunches" etc.

A quick search for "Potato" brings the note up -- and boom goes the dynamite :huh:

I guess my point is, you don't really have to remember all of your notes. You just need to remember the fact that if it was "rememberable", you would have put it in Evernote. Once there, the search function will take you the rest of the way.

More and more, I've become fairly addicted to the search function.

That's not to say organizing by notebooks/tags as mentioned above isn't important - it is. But know that if you DO forget something, the search feature will almost always return what you're looking for.

For example, say you are looking for the awesome Potato & Leek soup you cooked 6 months ago (okay, so this is a real world example LOL). You know it's in your "Recipes" tag, but can't seem to find it on a quick browse. Did you file it under "appetizers", "quick lunches" etc.

A quick search for "Potato" brings the note up -- and boom goes the dynamite :huh:

I guess my point is, you don't really have to remember all of your notes. You just need to remember the fact that if it was "rememberable", you would have put it in Evernote. Once there, the search function will take you the rest of the way.

IMO, if I add a note & never look at it again, then it really wasn't all that. I don't worry about those notes. I do try to add any (missing) keywords & tags to my notes when I make them. So Techbarber's post applies to me. I don't worry about the notes I made, lost & don't remember. It would be interesting if EN had a "last viewed date". But doubtful since the elusive due date has yet to rear it's ugly head.

.............. It would be interesting if EN had a "last viewed date". But doubtful since the elusive due date has yet to rear it's ugly head.

Morning BnF,

Already there on the Mac version I spotted yesterday! Called 'Recent Notes'

Regards

Chris

• Level 5

Hi,

Don't try to do the work of EN!

EN is here to help you do just that: Remember your notes.

Spend some time to think about how you want to organize your notes. Clever tagging/naming and/or searching will free you mind and lets EN do the "mundane" things, namely finding the information you are interested in.

Wern

Archived