(Archived) 12 Years Of Data Lost (and found): RESOLVED

C6REW

Feeling a little sick at the moment!

Having spent the last few weeks sorting out my business account I had a problem with paying for 2 users and being charged for 5.

Received an email asking me to click on a link and pay, which I did.

Now all my diary notes since 2007 and the 12 years of Word docs I have just spent a serious amount of time getting right have disappeared!

Sent email to Evernote, I do so hope they can sort this out or I will be totally and utterly screwed!

Best regards

Chris

Hi BurgersNFries,

No backup as I did not realise i needed it!

After the horse has bolted and all that!

Oh my I just pray that Evernote can do something otherwise this could be disastrous. It is the diary I need sorting the most.

Regards

Chris

Didn't I read somewhere that the data is stored on my hard drive?

Need to check the folder and see if it is still there.

Got to my iMac too late as it had already updated.

Regards

Chris

Hi Heather,

Lots of tickets raised since 'upgrading' to business.

The one where I was asked to pay from a link came from Nadine and was 4651

Sent another email in specifically about this.

Regards

Chris

I have managed to get the data from my second user laptop which had not synched since we left the office on the 21st.

The only work I have done in my diary since then is minor. So with luck I should be able to restore from that. All my Word docs will have gone, but that, whilst annoying is just a bit more labour.

How is the best way to restore? Just replace my user.exb file?

Regards

Chris

Ahh, right, you'd be in the Business Support system. I can't pull all those tickets as we haven't fully merged our systems yet.

You need to be extremely careful when restoring from an old .exb - you can't just plug it in, or it will overwrite from the server. You need to do it while offline (completely not connected from the internet) then export your files to enex.

I'm not entirely sure how you lost your files in the first place. Did you use "Move" or "Copy" when transferring them over to your Business?

Hi Heather,

I have had a problem with payment and numbers of users. Basically I signed up and was asked to pay for 5 users but I only wanted 2.

After finding out that an annual account is a minimum of 5 users and you need to pay by credit card for under this they managed to get it sorted and sent me an email a couple of hours ago.

The email had a link that led me to a location to pay by credit card for the two users which I did. After this I noticed I no longer had any of my Notebooks in the Business section. I can now see the notes if I click on 'All Business Notes' but not if I click on the only Notebook in the Business section. This is viewable on the Windows computer software and on the web via Windows or Mac computers.

Crazy thing is it shows all my Notebooks in the Library as well!

Just discussing with Nadine in support to find out the best way of getting all the information restored.

Regards

Chris

I've just gotten access to your case - it looks as if you do actually have access to your notes (as you can see them in the "All Busines Notes" pane, but there's a display bug from preventing them from popping up in the left-hand pane.

A bug has been filed and the team is looking into correcting this ASAP. In the meantime, it appears that all the content is indeed there.

Hi Heather,

Thanks for letting me know it is being worked on.

Because of the problems with not being able to use tags in the business version it is going to be quite difficult for me to see the notes I want to see.

Should I wait for the support people to come back to me and hopefully find a solution to the bug, or should I start re-creating my Notebooks and trying to find the notes to put in them. This about 10,000 notes so will take me some time. If I have to do this, I would rather get going sooner than later.

However, I don't want to create problems by moving data if it is going to hinder the support team!

It is 17:50 in the UK. Whilst I have a little work to do tomorrow - Friday - I can leave things as they are if you and the support team prefer?

Best regards

Chris

The problem is the notebooks actually are *there*, they're just not showing up for you. Creating new ones won't actually do anything, and may make things worse for you.

You can see that its not just something wrong with your local client, but with your overall account, by logging into your account at Evernote Web and seeing that you have the same display issue there.

I'd advice leaving it for the moment.

Hi Heather,

Many thanks. I have no issue with standing back!

Best go into the Cinema room and watch something very exciting to keep my mind off it!

Feeling slightly less stressed!

Don't want to talk about backups just yet, but will be getting onto that subject later!!!

Best regards

Chris

Morning Heather,

Just wondering how the support team are doing. I have not heard anything back from them since sending information yesterday.

As mentioned I have a couple of hours work in the office and need to confirm if I can create new notes and edit existing ones or not.

Will also re email them, but thought it worth asking on here in case you get this message quicker than them.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Morning Heather,

Just wondering how the support team are doing. I have not heard anything back from them since sending information yesterday.

As mentioned I have a couple of hours work in the office and need to confirm if I can create new notes and edit existing ones or not.

Will also re email them, but thought it worth asking on here in case you get this message quicker than them.

Best regards

Chris

It is 5 in the morning there. I wouldn't wait on them for this kind of thing. I'd create a new free account, make your notes there, and when they get your regular account sorted out, you can share the notes into it.

Hi GrumpyMonkey,

Many thanks for the suggestion. Already been in touch and leaving well alone for now whilst they continue to work on it.

Fortunately I did not go to the office in the end. So I have a few days grace!

Bearing in mind all the problems I have experienced with the Business version there is no way I would create another account and expect to be able to get the notes into my existing account!

Believe me when I say the Business version is nothing like the personal one. So many problems, but I really do believe that Evernote will get it sorted.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi GrumpyMonkey,

Many thanks for the suggestion. Already been in touch and leaving well alone for now whilst they continue to work on it.

Fortunately I did not go to the office in the end. So I have a few days grace!

Bearing in mind all the problems I have experienced with the Business version there is no way I would create another account and expect to be able to get the notes into my existing account!

Believe me when I say the Business version is nothing like the personal one. So many problems, but I really do believe that Evernote will get it sorted.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks again for posting and helping everyone (including Evernote) get over any rough patches. I haven't used the Business version yet, but I am looking forward to doing so someday. I'll keep your learning experiences in mind when I do :)

Actually, our testing team has been working through the night to recreate the issue we have seen with your account - and we haven't been able to.

So - we think its definitely isolated to your account at this point, and we're working to correct it.

We're checking into the server some more, but if you want to create another account and start adding things to it, that should be ok. PM me the username when you do.

• Level 5*

Actually, our testing team has been working through the night to recreate the issue we have seen with your account - and we haven't been able to.

So - we think its definitely isolated to your account at this point, and we're working to correct it.

We're checking into the server some more, but if you want to create another account and start adding things to it, that should be ok. PM me the username when you do.

Hi Heather. To help him out, would it be possible for him to create another account, upgrade to business, get a larger upload allowance for this month, export everything from the first account, and just move everything into it through importing the .enex file? Or, would he be bringing the problem with him that way?

Hi Grumpy,

If that was possible I would be very interested if nothing happens over the weekend! We shall see what Heather and the team have to say.

Heather,

I have just emailed the support team but thought I would put it on here as well.

Something else that I did yesterday that may have no bearing on what went wrong, but is worth pointing out!

I joined the Food Amabassador Larueen's notebook Holiday Potluck about 100 recipes:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/latkins/holidaypotluck#b=04d3377c-6de5-4f33-ab0d-075c3bbee809&st=b&n=53e60ca5-326b-4db3-9abf-bacd65a80b4d

I see that I have a lot of new Tags from this when I click on the Business Trash. So for example it shows one note under the Tag 'Cheese'. But when I click on it I get 624 notes that I cannot see any other way. It is the same for all of that Notebooks tags.

Regards

Chris

Right, I have been informed that it is likely to take some time before they can affect a repair to my database. So it has been suggested as already done so by Grumpy that I start a new account.

Is it possible to start that new account and put the data I have off my 2nd user into the new account? I have all of my important data such as diary notes up until the last day of work before Christmas which means I can carry on working straight away.

I have asked if I can be given a new business account so as to get me and my 2nd user up and running straight away. Waiting for confirmation of this.

The downside is I would have to upload all of my Word documents again. But with the knowledge I have picked up this should be fairly straightforward if a little time consuming.

Best regards

Chris

I hope there is someone available who can sanction a new business account before the US shuts. I need to get this up and running by tomorrow - Saturday - as I have a lot of guests all over the New Year celebrations so won't be able to work!

Waiting to hear back from support at the moment.

Best regards

Chris

Yes, we're around, no worries Chris. We'll get this sorted.

It looks like you've actually got the stuff uploaded and added into the Business Library, so I don't think you actually need to create an entirely new business, but we may be able to create a new user and join it to the same business.

(Then you can export your personal notes and import them into the new account).

Hi Heather,

So, will you create the new user?

It is my diary that is the most important. I am unable to get this out of the existing account. I have all this information, as mentioned already in the correct Business Notebooks from the 2nd user. This is information prior to my major uploading of Word Documents. I already had 2011 and 2012 quotations uploaded and running fine.

The important thing for me, is this needs to be up and running tomorrow so it can be ready for when I go to the office next Thursday. I am prepared to put some time into it of course. I understand from Nadine's email that you are low on staff due to the holidays and are unlikely to get it sorted that quickly.

Regards

Chris

Hi Heather,

It is 23:00 in the UK. Nadine works in Switzerland which is one hour later and I have heard nothing from her. Indeed I have not heard anything about how to deal with this problem and tomorrow is the weekend. By Sunday I will not be able to do anything major until back in the office on Thursday and will be too busy to work on the database.

I am prepared to put effort it, but need someone to confirm how I need to deal with this. If opening a new user, or setting up a new account is the way to go I don't mind. But give me detailed instructions via email if you want. I will be up at about 05:00 UK time on Saturday and need to start preparing my database for when I am back in the office next week. I cannot afford to waste time when back in the office and cannot afford to be without my diary information which, as mentioned. I use continually.

Please advise with some urgency.

Best regards

Chris

Sorry for the weirdness of communication on this Chris - I can't reply on your Business Support ticket because, as I said, our ticket systems aren't combined yet. I'm going to take this to PM.

Morning all,

Thanks again for your efforts Heather.

Will be on the computer shortly and will let you know how it goes. A cup of tea beckons before I get started!

Best regards

Chris

Joined and currently syncing notebooks.

Looking good!

Working on the Mac to invite me to all my personal notes as well.

Feeling relieved to see notes in their correct location!

Best regards

Chris

When you arrive Heather I was just wondering if I now log in on my second users computer and sync, will it all show OK on there?

I kept away from that computer as I did not want to totally ruin any chances of being able to extract any data. Even though I had already been on that computer and got the data out. A very cautious chappy am I at the moment!!

Best regards

Chri

I have logged on to the Web and can confirm that both my 2nd and now 3rd user are both perfectly fine! Phew!

Currently downloading and syncing to the 3rd user. Will probably take best part of the day, but that is fine.

Best regards

Chris

Great Chris!

Now we need to do some extra stuff on the backend with your Business to change the Admin/Owner around to your 3rd user - we'll probably want to keep your original account intact for a bit for testing to figure out what went wrong though (with your permission of course) so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Archived