(Archived) Diabetes

Hello There,

Just a question as to what exactly the motivation is about providing software to "help" people with diabetes?

I dont have diabetes myself, but was a little bit suprised when I saw the add for diabetes recording software appear on my screen without any interaction from me?

Why target people without diabetes?

Regards

Aubrey.

Hello There,

Just a question as to what exactly the motivation is about providing software to "help" people with diabetes?

I dont have diabetes myself, but was a little bit suprised when I saw the add for diabetes recording software appear on my screen without any interaction from me?

Why target people without diabetes?

Regards

Aubrey.

Are you talking about an ad when using Evernote as a free user? If so, I'm pretty sure the software doesn't know who is or is not diabetic.

• Level 5

I suppose I can forgive the developers for that. Just very tired of advertisements. Some are great, but obviously some are lacking allot of respect. I'm not being political or anything, but fair is fair, sorry!

Easy solution: Pay the $5/month Premium rate to turn off the Public Service Announcements and ads.

I suppose I can forgive the developers for that. Just very tired of advertisements. Some are great, but obviously some are lacking allot of respect. I'm not being political or anything, but fair is fair, sorry!

An ad killer? No, sure it's just one program isnt it? Must have just assumed the software targets their consumer somehow normally. Does anyone else think modern advertising is a bit of information overload?

I think free programs have to try to cover their costs. IMO, $45/year for premium Evernote is a heckuva deal on many levels. (No ads is only one of the many benefits premium users enjoy.) If you elect to not pay it, that's fine & certainly your choice. However, I think it's a bit silly to ***** about the ads in a free app. JMO.

I would also consider it an invasion of my privacy if EN "read" my notes in order to target ads to me.

No really, advertising today does actually deliver "relevant" adverts decided by software, somehow. Some would say it might be an invasion of privacy. But I think its more the attitude of the marketing team. Maybe its just an experimental concept, but I think its probably more a seperation between the pushers and the consumers. I do love software and software development, but I dont know if I really love any marketing team. And I doubt they care at all about me.

• Level 5*

Unless something has changed (maybe an Evernote employee can tell us), Evernote employees (it used to be the CEO) pick a bunch of ads relevant to Evernote users, and these randomly cycle through, with no connection whatsoever to your account content or your personal information. This was in a podcast or video at one point, and I would like to tell you which one and what point in it, but my Evernote account is inaccessible at the moment (developers see the beta thread for my anecdotal anger -- this is making me very grumpy as I also enjoy waiting at the gate for a flight that is late and may end up being canceled).

Anyhow, I like the ads, and even as a premium member, I leave them on, LOL. They tend to be inobtrusive and helpfully informative -- a rare combination.

• Level 5

I remember hearing the same comment on one of the podcasts, just can't figure out which one either.

Here is GrumpyMonkey's list of Evernote podcasts. Good job with the documentation GM!

Podcasts

To my l knowledge we don't use any user data for these inside-app ads. And we don't monetize your data at all (see our Three Laws).

It's likely that ad was aimed in the general direction of our other Lifestyle based focuses, such as health. Using the app to organize eating habits to promote healthier living, for example, and not based on any user profile.

To my l knowledge we don't use any user data for these inside-app ads. And we don't monetize your data at all (see our Three Laws).

I would have been shocked (and quite offended) if you did use user data to target ads. AFAIK, Evernote's job is to help me collect, organize & retrieve my data. Data mining is NOT. Which is why it befuddles me that OP seems to think it would be ok & is more annoyed that an ad for diabetes appeared on his console.

Actualy, to be honest, I'm not really sure what the OP is blathering on about. Not a lot of it makes much sense....

Don't want the ads? Upgrade to Preium - simple. Don't want to upgrade? Then either read, tolerate, or ignore the ads - simple.

But I'm still not sure exactly what the OP is actually getting at. Is he saying that he expected the ads to be targeted, and as he isn't diabetic, then why did he get that ad?

But I'm still not sure exactly what the OP is actually getting at. Is he saying that he expected the ads to be targeted, and as he isn't diabetic, then why did he get that ad?

That's what I'm getting. (Could be wrong). (Which would be totally offensive to *me* if EN was "reading" my notes in order to target ads to me). And...what's so offensive about something targeted to a diabetic? I could see his point if he'd received an ad for tampons...

• Level 5*

As you all know from podcast #1 (9:12-) and podcast #2 (32:00-36:12), Evernote does not serve you ads based on the content of your account. And, as you all know from my campaign to save the Evernote ads, there are not so many in circulation at the moment. Among the candidates, only ihealth seems remotely related to diabetes. It never mentions diabetes, as far as I know, but as a medical app, it might have appeared to be there because of a medical condition mentioned in the user's account.

For example, if you are collecting web pages about diabetes, and then you see this ad, you might think you have been targeted. As far as I know (statements by Evernote and the fairly small and predictable rotation of ads each month) there is no connection, and certainly nothing I can find offensive.

Among the ads I have collected (see link in my signature), is there any one of those that seems offensive?

Archived