Clipboard capture failed

driverc

I am having problems creating clips.

I am browsing with Firefox and I select some text to put into Evernote. I hit Win + A, but the clipping does not occur. I get a dialogue box message "Clipboard capture failed...did not copy any data to clipboard or there is no selection".

This used to work fine.

• Level 5

It sounds like a conflict shotcut on your system. For example I had similar issues with Ctrl-alt-v. This is a shortcut in Office for paste special, yet Evernote inexplicably use that as a default.

There is no shortcut key conflict since Evernote receives copy clipboard request and responds with "Clipboard capture failed...did not copy any data to clipboard or there is no selection".

/Peter

Here is the behavior I witness:

Press win A, gives error advice window

But

Press Ctrl-C, Ctrl- V does add selected item to Evernote. However, the Evernote application does not display the captured item. Leaves user flying blind. If I have to, I'll fly blind, sobeit but I really want this work flow to be implemented so anything I tag is immediately displayed in my list view so I can add tags. I found if I disabled my virus guard software (system Mechanic). The Win A capture method works as usual, but I am not about to shut off my virus protection.

Final note, When the WinA key placed a captured object in Evernote it always opened in a window that gave me no way to add tags. I would have to switch to a list view (search) of all Everhote entries and then tag my capture. The work flow should be examined and better thought out. It seemed so obvious to me that anything captured should give me the tools I need to tag it right there and then.

• Level 5*
Final note, When the WinA key placed a captured object in Evernote it always opened in a window that gave me no way to add tags. I would have to switch to a list view (search) of all Everhote entries and then tag my capture. The work flow should be examined and better thought out. It seemed so obvious to me that anything captured should give me the tools I need to tag it right there and then.

You could just sort your current note view by Created/Reversed, which will bring recently created notes to the front. Some folks also designate a special notebook for clips (see Clipping Preferences). Then they can clip away, and tag and set proper notebook when it's convenient.

• Level 5

The problem occurs only with FireFox version 17.0,1 previous versions of FireFox and other apps seem to Win+A correctly.

We have updated EvernoteTray.exe to work with FireFox 17.0,1, the fix will be available with the next Evernote release. PM me if you'd like to get updated EvernoteTray.exe now.

/Peter

driverc,

Did it start failing with build 4.6.0.7670 (268178) or before?

Which version of FireFix are you using?

/Peter

Good day, Peter! I first experienced this problem with FF 17.0 and EN 4.5.10 right after updating FF to version 17. So it should be related to FF changes, since upgrade of FF to 17.0.1 did not change this behaviour.

Sincerely yours, Andrei.

• Level 5*

driverc,

4.6.1.7705 was built two days before the fix was implemented, so it would not help. PM me if you need a fixed version.

Hi Kvitekp (Peter)

I would like the fixed version very much. I use evernote all the time for clipping web stuff in the browser

I suggest that you PM Peter as he requested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Does this failure have any connection to the latest Java update - since installing yesterday my "win + a" clip has now started giving me this same error - NOT in any browser, on any screen i try - a calendar for example...

I'm pretty sure that the Windows Evernote software doesn't use Java. You may want to open a support request: see the link in my signature.

Archived