Sorting stacks

Hello all,

Probably been addressed before (and I suspect the answer is NO), but can stacks be sorted in alphabetical order (in Windows)?

I have numbered notebooks in a stack that I need to sort in that order, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4...

thanks,

tob

screenshot showing the problem:

Stacks *are* sorted alphabetically. If you mean you want them not mingled with notebooks, no. You'll need to preface the names so they appear together or else make sure every notebook is in a stack.

If you're saying you want them sorted numerically,

You may find this thread helpful. The thread is about tags but would apply to note titles, too.

Hi there,

Yes, sorry - I wasn't clear enough there.

It's the notebooks within a stack that I'd like to sort, as it happens the folders are prefaced 1), 2), 3) so should be sorted easily in that order...not so, however.

Thought I'd seen that it was a feature of the Mac version, but NOT Windows (right-click on a stack, sort notebooks in alpha order).

If so, that is completely daft.

best,

tob

Stacks *are* sorted alphabetically. If you mean you want them not mingled with notebooks, no. You'll need to preface the names so they appear together or else make sure every notebook is in a stack.

If you're saying you want them sorted numerically,

You may find this thread helpful. http://discussion.ev...ed-some-ideas/. The thread is about tags but would apply to note titles, too.

• Level 5*

I'd call that a bit of a bug. Not a showstopper, certainly, but surprising, and potentially annoying. I guessed it might be something like that, as there used to be a similar, uh, misfeature, with nested tags, I think.

Yes, it would more intuitive for the Sync function to reset the sorting of stacks....as it's the last action to "reset" the content in your account as it were.

We're working in a 5-person group here, so it's been a bit confusing until you supplied the fix.

Reminds me of tech support days when "Have you tried rebooting your machine?" was the solution to a 1000 problems.

thanks again :)

Yes, it would more intuitive for the Sync function to reset the sorting of stacks....as it's the last action to "reset" the content in your account as it were.

We're working in a 5-person group here, so it's been a bit confusing until you supplied the fix.

Reminds me of tech support days when "Have you tried rebooting your machine?" was the solution to a 1000 problems.

thanks again :)

Do you need to restart your whole computer or just Evernote?

Can't just close the window. You have to actually click on the icon in the system tray and click "Quit Evernote" and then restart it.

This is a huge detriment when trying to use numbers on the front of notebooks and stacks to sort projects by priority. Still nothing better out there though. :)

• 1 year later...

Yes, this is a nuisance.  It's now 2014 and my Windows client still behaves this way.  A major part of my workflow involves renaming notebooks, and I'd like for them to *immediately* appear in the proper new sort location.  If I sync and check the web browser they are properly sorted, but they will stubbornly stay unsorted on Windows at least for a while.

Eventually they'll sort out - I don't always have to reboot, so there are other things that can cause this.  But this is a pretty sloppy bit of operation that I certainly wouldn't want broken in *my* app.

Kip

• 4 months later...

Yes, this is a nuisance.  It's now 2014 and my Windows client still behaves this way.  A major part of my workflow involves renaming notebooks, and I'd like for them to *immediately* appear in the proper new sort location.  If I sync and check the web browser they are properly sorted, but they will stubbornly stay unsorted on Windows at least for a while.

Eventually they'll sort out - I don't always have to reboot, so there are other things that can cause this.  But this is a pretty sloppy bit of operation that I certainly wouldn't want broken in *my* app.

Kip

I found a workaround today. It's silly to have to do this, but a bit more convenient than shutting down if you're just renaming/reordering one or two notebooks: After renaming it to appear the order you want (e.g. by prepending a number) just move the notebook out of that stack and back in again and Evernote will place it alphanumeric order in the stack.

• 2 months later...

At least all notebooks of each stack are grouped together for you.

On my installation (under wine) of the current Evernote Client I have a stack called "Work" with about 10 Notebooks and several other stacks and notebooks. On the left navigation bar in the categorie notebooks I now have 10 Stacks named "Work" each holding exactly one of the ten notebooks - and the stacks are in no way sorted in any way in regard to the other notebooks and stacks.

Basically it's a big chaos list.

It works perfectly in the webview though - where I am for sure not using the useless beta version...

• Level 5*

At least all notebooks of each stack are grouped together for you.

On my installation (under wine) of the current Evernote Client I have a stack called "Work" with about 10 Notebooks and several other stacks and notebooks. On the left navigation bar in the categorie notebooks I now have 10 Stacks named "Work" each holding exactly one of the ten notebooks - and the stacks are in no way sorted in any way in regard to the other notebooks and stacks.

Basically it's a big chaos list.

You have something else going on -- I'd say that it's a bug, and you ought to report it via a support request.
  • 1 year later...

The last post on this was 2 years ago and this is still a problem from my perspective in the Windows client.  When adding a Notebook, it does sort into place, but as soon as you try to rename a Notebook or rename a Notebook in a stack, it does not sort.  The web version does this automatically, but not the client version.  There is a workaround to move a Notebook and then move it back for sorting, but what a pain.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 28.07.2016 at 1:36 AM, cmm971 said:

The last post on this was 2 years ago and this is still a problem from my perspective in the Windows client.  When adding a Notebook, it does sort into place, but as soon as you try to rename a Notebook or rename a Notebook in a stack, it does not sort.  The web version does this automatically, but not the client version.  There is a workaround to move a Notebook and then move it back for sorting, but what a pain.  

I have the same problem

• Level 5*
On 7/27/2016 at 6:36 PM, cmm971 said:

I believe the workaround in this case is to shut down the Evernote client (File / Exit) and restart.

Archived