(Archived) HELP: Making the leap to Mac OS X

thebutchersboy

Idea

I have decided to make that leap from using Microsoft, to using Mac as my primary computer. The reason is, I just love my iPhone 3Gs that has morphed into the IPhone4S and of course, I wouldn't go anywhere without my ipad2. So going over to Mac was an evolutionary move, it was only going to be a matter of time. Although, moving to apple has almost killed me. If I wasn't a sucker for asethetics, the iMac would have gone through a window by now.

I use Evernote all day and everyday, but one thing I noticed, I can't seem to web clip or access my Evernote from Safari. In the same way I can access it from google or Firefox on the Microsoft web pages.

Does anyone ow how?

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

hi butchersboy. welcome to the forums and the world of fruitiness. i moved to mac because it is the best platform for my research, but i also happen to like windows 7 a lot. i'm pleased overall with the move, but not sure if it was very wise economically :)

as for the mac, i only use the web interface in emergency situations on other computers, and pretty much never on my home computer. there is really no reason to do so. i would stick to the evernote app if i were you.

as for web clipping, i use chrome. it is (in my opinion) a far superior browser, and just is a lot more pleasant to use. other people will have different opinions, of course, and hopefully they will chime in with advice about clipping and safari. all i can say is that the chrome web clipper works great. so does evernote on the web, if you really want to login and use it.

• Level 5*

I have decided to make that leap from using Microsoft, to using Mac as my primary computer. The reason is, I just love my iPhone 3Gs that has morphed into the IPhone4S and of course, I wouldn't go anywhere without my ipad2. So going over to Mac was an evolutionary move, it was only going to be a matter of time. Although, moving to apple has almost killed me. If I wasn't a sucker for asethetics, the iMac would have gone through a window by now.

Sorry you are having a tough time switching to the Mac, but I completely understand it.

The good news is that once you get comfortable with the Mac you will really love it.

One of the big issues of switching from Windows to Mac is learning how to do everything on the Mac that you already know how to do in Windows. Hear are some suggestions to help:

1. Do a Google on "Switching from Windows to Mac" or similar words
  2. Checkout the Macworld.com web site
    • There a number of articles providing tips on using the Mac
    • There should be an article for "Windows users"
    • Subscribe to the daily newsletter -- you will be learning something every day

[*]Checkout the Apple web site

• I think there are one or more articles for Windows users moving to the mac

[*]Any time you need help in doing something, try a Google search.

[*]Consider classroom training at your local Apple store.

I use Evernote all day and everyday, but one thing I noticed, I can't seem to web clip or access my Evernote from Safari. In the same way I can access it from google or Firefox on the Microsoft web pages.

Does anyone ow how?

I much prefer both Chrome and Firefox to Safari on the Mac.

Each of these Browsers handles Evernote web clipping somewhat differently.

Give both Firefox and Chrome a try to determine which is best for you.

I have switched back and forth several times.

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions.

• Level 5*

There is an Evernote clipper for Safari that works pretty well, there is also a bookmarklet. When you say you 'can't clip', are you getting an error message? The same question with regards to getting to evernote.com?

I have decided to make that leap from using Microsoft, to using Mac as my primary computer.

Congrats on making it out alive. It took me a bit to transition too, but it's well worth the time. Looking back, the move was more a process of unlearning how to think like Windows and less how to think like a Mac (read: learn how to think like a human again). You'll get it and when you do you'll never look back. One thing that helped me a lot was purchasing the app Pathfinder. It's a replacement for Finder and has a more windowesque feel to managing files...a la Windows Explorer

I much prefer Firefox over Safari because it clips (optionally) directly to the client. Safari still clips only to the EN servers which sometimes confuses people coming from another browser because you'll need to sync in order to view your notes on the client. Have you installed the Safari clipper? As Metro said, defining the problem more will help.

thebutchersboy: As you can already, you'll get support here from others who have made the same switch. (I think the large majority of Mac users once used PCs, or still do.) But can you be more specific? As you can tell, we don't fully understand the problems you're having. Can you explain the following more?

Does anyone ow how?

You shouldn't have any problem accessing evernote.com from any browser, and all major browsers (I'm pretty sure) have a way to let you clip web pages. That said, I'll also echo the Chrome recommendation. It's the only browser I use because, in my experience, it's by far the best. And clipping in Chrome is a breeze.

Archived