AutoSave: Can it be made Less Frequent or Off ?

McNerdius

As an SSD user on a very stable system, i tend to tone my autosave settings down a bit. Evernote seems to be autosaving just waaaaaaaaay more often than really needed. Multiple times per sentence if i'm interpreting the UI cues correctly. [i'm not referring to 40wpm stream-of-consciousness straight-from-brain-to-screen typing here... casual with thinking kinda stuff - not that any of that matters...]

Anyhow, i've searched my menus and this forum to no avail. I assume there is no way to either "slow it down" or turn it off - but alas, i gotta ask.

Then again, maybe it's autosaving alot less frequently than i am imagining. Any for-sure numbers on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks Much !

EDIT: Ok so there's a corresponding Registry entry [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareEvernoteEvernoteNoteAutoSaveInterval - default = 30], which leads me to believe that there likely is a setting im overlooking. Probably something reeeaalllly simple too. ;)

I'd tweak it - but i won't. Yet. If 30 means 30 seconds... well... yeah, i'm going to have to sooner or later, though.

EDIT: Ok so there's a corresponding Registry entry [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareEvernoteEvernoteNoteAutoSaveInterval - default = 30], which leads me to believe that there likely is a setting im overlooking. Probably something reeeaalllly simple too. ;)

I'd tweak it - but i won't. Yet. If 30 means 30 seconds... well... yeah, i'm going to have to sooner or later, though.

No UI option that I am aware of. Wait for someone from Evernote to confirm impact, but, this sure looks like what you were looking for.

PS: Not tested, waiting for official response as well.

• Level 5

McNerdius,

You're right about "HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareEvernoteEvernoteNoteAutoSaveInterval" registry value: it specifies note auto save interval in seconds. If set to 0, there would be no note auto save. In any case updated note will be saved when it loses focus or when you press Ctrl+S.

This setting is not exposed in the Evernote UI, so using registry editor is the only way to change in.

Please fully exit Evernote using File/Exit before changing its application registry: Evernote reads in its registry settings when it starts and updates them when it terminates. So if you change registry while Evernote is running, your changes will not be picked up and will be overwritten when the program terminates.

/Peter

If you want to delve a little more closely into what's going on with respect to Evernote I/O, you could try using Process Monitor: http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896645. A handy tool,

Oddly enough, that's what convinced me to make this post: filtering to include only operations including the word "file" resulted in ~20,000 operations over the course of 5 min. This is with evernote just sitting there - no user interaction at all. Clearly not all would have been autosaves: however too many for me to dig through any further... hehe... For comparison - a Chrome session consisting of 4 windows, 3 active downloads, and being *used* - over the course of 10 minutes, yielded ~30,000 operations including the word "file". [Dont ask me how such a disparity is possible - im just the messenger here! ;)] I was just about to include this info when i realized just how nerdy i was already being merely making the post. I feel better now that someone on this very forum has recommended this course of action hehehe !

Thank you very much Peter, Owyn, and Jeff for your input !

Ummm. Those results are inconsistent with a quick check I just made via:

Process Explorer -> Evernote.exe -> Double Click -> Properties -> Performance

Will take a look at Process Monitor to see what you might have been looking at. IIRC it was worse than Wireshark for inundating you with events.

Ummm. Those results are inconsistent with a quick check I just made via:

Process Explorer -> Evernote.exe -> Double Click -> Properties -> Performance

Will take a look at Process Monitor to see what you might have been looking at. IIRC it was worse than Wireshark for inundating you with events.

What i was doing in process monitor was basically filter to include evernote only - then the button , 4th from the right on the toolbar is "Show File System Activity." Another good way to go about it in process monitor is Process Activity Summary under tools. These numbers are [for me] the same as Process Explorer's - however Process Explorer has let me know that of the ~10k events that occurred during the few minutes i was messing around with the 2 utilities and grabbing some screenshots - "only" 1601 were write operations. :-|

Note - i'm not complaining at all - just nerding. i'm fairlycertain visual studio or sketchup or pokerstars and quite possibly on-screen-keyboard [ok ok ok maybe not that one] are just as active. That's why we have RAM !

Now, a couple minutes later, reads are up by a good 1700 or so, while writes are sitting at 1602 total. [note i re-started evernote prior to grabbing the numbers for this post]

Ok. Ran test. I think you had your filters set up incorrectly.

Tested as follows.

- Got evernote.exe to idle as possible.

-- No automatic sync

-- No adds (premium feature)

- - Left check for updates & Import folder watch enabled.

Started Procmon v2.96 (Latest available)

- Reset Filters. Added filters

-- Process Name contains evernote (Include)

-- Profiling Events (Exclude) (The fifth button is off, the first four are on)

- Started capture

Just got update & import folder events at relatively low rate.

• 2 years later...

Hi.  I am not nerdy enough to edit my registry settings without someone holding my hand and giving me cookies and milk afterward.  Is there a setting somewhere in Evernote that has  made adjusting the autosave settings easier for us casual users?  I have no problem with it on my Kindle or my Motorola phone, but when I am on my Windows  8.1 laptop where I actually have room to compose and a keyboard, it not only autosaves frequently, it kicks me to the top of the note and breaks my train of thought while I find the right place, making it practically unusable for any entry that goes below the fold.

• Level 5*

If you are using the Windows native client (the same one that runs on Win 7), then you can adjust sync settings  Using Tools / Options / Sync.

If you're using the new-style Windows Modern client, I don't know the answer.

• Level 5*

McNerdius,

You're right about "HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareEvernoteEvernoteNoteAutoSaveInterval" registry value: it specifies note auto save interval in seconds. If set to 0, there would be no note auto save. In any case updated note will be saved when it loses focus or when you press Ctrl+S.

This setting is not exposed in the Evernote UI, so using registry editor is the only way to change in.

Please fully exit Evernote using File/Exit before changing its application registry: Evernote reads in its registry settings when it starts and updates them when it terminates. So if you change registry while Evernote is running, your changes will not be picked up and will be overwritten when the program terminates.

/Peter

Oldie but a goodie. Just changed mine to 5 minutes. 

Archived