(Archived) Best practices with Livescribe ?

jmpsfs

Idea

Now that Livescribe has upgraded its Desktop app to Lion compatibility, I want to use it more effectively.

Does anyone have suggestions for "best practices" in using the combination of Livescribe and Evernote?

It appears to me that when I export a Livescribe page to Evernote I lose the ability to point to specific places on the page and hear the recording (in fact, the entire page grays out in Reader).

My initial impression is that it's better to use the Livescribe app as a stand-alone. It seems to have an effective search system.

I'd appreciate hearing any other ideas of experiences.

7 replies to this idea

It appears to me that when I export a Livescribe page to Evernote I lose the ability to point to specific places on the page and hear the recording

Yes, of course you lose that ability. That's Livescribe's niche. Integration is one thing. But giving another company your niche product is something entirely different! :D

I can't speak to the Mac client. But the current LS Windows software allows me to easily export the LS audio by session. I've been doing that for a couple of years with a more convoluted system, so I appreciate the update on the LS desktop. Anyway, what I do is take screen caps of the LS writing (from the desktop) and add in the audio. I make this a single note along with an accurate title & tags. I pretty much just use it in EN as a way to quickly find particular notes as well as a backup for the handwriting & audio file. If I should need to use the tap & listen feature of LS, I use the LS desktop. Or else I upload the pencast to my LS account & use the Pencast app on my iPhone.

• Level 5*

It appears to me that when I export a Livescribe page to Evernote I lose the ability to point to specific places on the page and hear the recording (in fact, the entire page grays out in Reader).

That may be unique to the Mac. On the PC, the PDF that is exported comes complete with the ability to click from within Adobe Reader and hear what was recorded at that place. I confirmed this on a machine that doesn't have LS on it at all and it still worked the same. Either LS got Adobe to include this functionality or Adobe already had similar scripting capabilities on the PC side and LS took advantage of those.

Right now, I plan on archiving all of my stuff in EN. Much nicer than the LS desktop, and I don't think I lose anything.

Hello all:

I'm interested in trying out livescribe with evernote and see that there is a promotion that includes a one year premium subscription to evernote....does anyone know how that promotion might apply to an existing evernote premium account? Might you get "next" year's account for free?

I was figuring that this was a question for the livescribe folks but didn't see an answer to this question on their knowledge base...does anyone here know?

-Ed

• Level 5*
Hello all:

I'm interested in trying out livescribe with evernote and see that there is a promotion that includes a one year premium subscription to evernote....does anyone know how that promotion might apply to an existing evernote premium account? Might you get "next" year's account for free?

I was figuring that this was a question for the livescribe folks but didn't see an answer to this question on their knowledge base...does anyone here know?

-Ed

I asked that question in ticket #16051-17296. They told me to 1) cancel my subscription and 2) wait for it to expire. Then 3) use the promo code from livecribe.

I told them that won't work because my subscription expires in March and the offer expires in January.

I am waiting for a response to this. I sent that on Friday I think so I'll give them to Mon/Tues to see where it is at.

That may be unique to the Mac. On the PC, the PDF that is exported comes complete with the ability to click from within Adobe Reader and hear what was recorded at that place. I confirmed this on a machine that doesn't have LS on it at all and it still worked the same. Either LS got Adobe to include this functionality or Adobe already had similar scripting capabilities on the PC side and LS took advantage of those.

Right now, I plan on archiving all of my stuff in EN. Much nicer than the LS desktop, and I don't think I lose anything.

If you export the Livescribe note and audio to Evernote, you can indeed retain its functionality on a Mac. You have to right click on the note in EN and open it. That will open the note in Adobe Reader with the audio/visual playback from Livescribe intact. If you don't open it, you can still read the note within EN, but you don't get the audio or the connected visual playback.

Hello all:

-Ed

I asked that question in ticket #16051-17296. They told me to 1) cancel my subscription and 2) wait for it to expire. Then 3) use the promo code from livecribe.

I told them that won't work because my subscription expires in March and the offer expires in January.

I am waiting for a response to this. I sent that on Friday I think so I'll give them to Mon/Tues to see where it is at.

I just used my Livescribe coupon yesterday for a year of Evernote Premium and it worked perfectly. My EN Premium account was extended exactly one year from what had been my previous end date (in Sept. 2012).

The issue is actually that you cannot add a gift certificate to an active Paypal subscription. You need to *cancel* your subscription, and then you can add the gift code. You do not need to wait until your subscription expires if you cancel the Paypal subscription.

This will not force you to lose any part of your Premium subscription (ie, you'll remain Premium until March + add an additional year once you add the gift code.)

Archived