tracking charts?

Anybody have an idea how to do tracking charts in EN?

I'm thinking of things like a health tracker, which would have entries for day, blood pressure, sleep gotten, kind of exercise, etc.

Ideally this data could then be pulled into another app so a chart could be made (at least from the numerical fields).

This sort of thing would be easy to do using a spreadsheet or an HTML table, but I don't think EN does either of those.

Anyone? Who has done this sort of thing? How did you do it?

EN doesn't have user defined fields, so you can enter this info but it's free form. Also, no way to export those notes from EN & import into charting software unless you make a script to do so.

You can make a spreadsheet & put it into Evernote. You can double click the spreadsheet to open it (with the spreadsheet app on your computer.) FYI, IME, if I leave an attachment open for a long time while making changes, I've lost some of them. OTOH, if I open the attachment, make the changes quickly & then save/close, no problem. So if it's an attachment I want to leave open & change over a longer period of time, I do not put it into Evernote.

• Level 5

Or you can create a table with the editing tools built into Evernote.

Add rows as the days progress.

This information can be copied and pasted into a spreadsheet if you need to.

post-16734-131906072861_thumb.png

which editing tools are these? On my EN screen I see only the same basic bold/italic/underline etc that show in your screenshot.

• 7 months later...

Well (and I just tested this) if I create a table in Evernote with 2 columns and five rows, copy it, and paste it into excel, it all winds up in one row. Plus table data entry is just awful.

Evernote is great for a lot of things but I wouldn't do this sort of structured data entry without a front end. An excel sheet would do, or a web form that mailed off the results to your evernote account.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of things like a health tracker, which would have entries for day, blood pressure, sleep gotten, kind of exercise, etc.

Ideally this data could then be pulled into another app so a chart could be made (at least from the numerical fields).

@Anamacha / gtucker: I'm researching something right now for this as a side project. Do you happen to have a sample of what your data you're saving would look like and maybe what you think you would want to chart? Any other uses you're thinking of?

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

@Anamacha / gtucker: I'm researching something right now for this as a side project. Do you happen to have a sample of what your data you're saving would look like and maybe what you think you would want to chart? Any other uses you're thinking of?

Thanks!

Hi Kevin,

I'm diabetic and use Evernote to track my blood glucose readings. If I was a developer, I would create an app or template that would record:

Date

Time

meter reading

time since last meal.

a field for additional notes.

Is that the sort of information you're asking for?

• 2 months later...
If I was a developer, I would create an app or template that would record:

Date

Time

meter reading

time since last meal.

a field for additional notes.

Do you see those as column headings of a table with with one row per date/time? Maybe one note per month or per year with a longish table inside?

Or, does it work better to have zillions of notes, one per entry with those as labels down the left hand side?

• 2 years later...

Archived