(Archived) basic evernote tips?

Hey there --

I'd like to find some tips and ideas on how to use Evernote.

I've found the Evernote Tips book but don't have $25 to spend on it.

I've already figured out how to use stacks and such; I've found some information on how to use EN in a GTD sort of way, and I am kind of doing that.

Some time ago, I found a list of tips on uses for a camera phone -- like taking pictures of products you want to look into later, snapping shots of what level you're on in a garage, and so on. I found that incredibly useful and would like to find somewhat the same thing for EN.

Thanks! I appreciate any pointers people could give.

• Level 5

Evernote is changing and improving every month, so I would steer clear of a book, even the E-books.

The best tip I could give would be to visit this forum on a regular basis and copy the comments you find particularly helpful directly into your Evernote program. I concentrate on saving comments from the Evernote employees - Dave Engberg and Heather are very helpful.

You can also find some real world examples on the Evernote blog

http://blog.evernote.com/

And for basic stuff, you could use the Knowledgebase

http://www.evernote.com/about/kb/

It helps other to help you better if you say what you are trying to do, rather than leave it open-ended.

well, yeah. That's useful advice. I guess what I'm trying to do is integrate EN into my life, so that I remember things better. Does that help at all?

well, yeah. That's useful advice. I guess what I'm trying to do is integrate EN into my life, so that I remember things better. Does that help at all?

Seems a general how do you use EN?

If you are fairly new to EN, I think it is hard to work out completely how you will use it.

I am relatively new to it, and I still haven't found a suitable structure for what I am doing in EN. At the moment, I have a few redundant notebooks, tags etc...for example I have a computer notebook and tag. I think also that it is hard to work out the best possible method for you since you need a good amount of things in EN before you can work out whether your chosen method works.

I suppose it is different for everyone though, which is why I think EN is so powerful, it can be made to work in many different ways for many different types of people, as can be seen here. There are some who prefer only a couple of notebooks, but loads of tags, others rely on searches, others more notebooks than tags...well you get my point. :D

• Level 5*
It helps other to help you better if you say what you are trying to do, rather than leave it open-ended.

Start by putting stuff you want to remember into Evernote -

scan it, email it in, clip web pages, type into notes, add files (everything if you are premium, PDFs and images if you aren't).

When you've got stuff in, start playing with ways to organise it - there are lots of ways of doing it and I think you need to experiment to find the one that works best for you.

But you have to put some stuff in there first.

yeah I've got 90 some odd notes in there, and I've organized them by notebook AND tags -- I like notebooks (like mail folders) because that lets me generally organize things, but I like tags as well because not all of my notes fit cleanly into one category or another. You can assign more than one tag, in other words.

So far that seems to be working for me.

Thanks for the input.

• Level 5*

I do the same, I have high level notebooks (about 20 of them) and then I use tags (and now the occasional note link) to add extra organisation.

Really this organisation is more about my own 'OCD' than it is about finding things I think as I can generally find what I want using the search of a key word that I know is relevant and then having a quick browse through the results.

Check out the link from Burgers a few days ago. I've gained a lot from that already.

Also, a thought about organization, I think it's better to use more tags than notebooks because you can't search multiple notebooks at once (for example, you couldn't say, "Show me all notes tagged with "school" in the notebooks "notes" and "projects"), but you CAN search multiple tags at a time (so you could say, "Show me all the notes in the "School" notebook tagged with "notes" and "projects").

Also, I just started using the full version of Evernote recently and found felt like I needed a "cheat sheet" of sorts to help me use the Windows program more effectively. Here's what I came up with:

Evernote Cheat Sheet for Windows

Hope it helps!

• Level 5*
Also, a thought about organization, I think it's better to use more tags than notebooks because you can't search multiple notebooks at once (for example, you couldn't say, "Show me all notes tagged with "school" in the notebooks "notes" and "projects"), but you CAN search multiple tags at a time (so you could say, "Show me all the notes in the "School" notebook tagged with "notes" and "projects").

You can't search multiple arbitrary notebooks, but you can search multiple notebooks in two specific ways:

* All Notebooks

* Searching on a stack will search all of the notebooks of the stack

I collect everything, so much so, it was hard for me to even begin to organize it all. This forum and others on the web have helped me to focus, and overtime, virtually everything I collect can be put into these stacks. For aesthetics and top-level order, I've numbered my notebooks, start with 000 and through 012. Each stack has several notebooks inside to further help with organizing. Over lots of time, I've found that I can still refine these even more, but not too much, as I still seem to have a broad array of topics. As you can see by the attachment, I incorporate my life, my family, my faith, my health as well as reference items and 'miscellanea' which is essentially my junk drawer I toss everything else in, yet even this stack has categories. I've found this works very well for me.post-25868-131906072836_thumb.png

I collect everything, so much so, it was hard for me to even begin to organize it all. This forum and others on the web have helped me to focus, and overtime, virtually everything I collect can be put into these stacks. For aesthetics and top-level order, I've numbered my notebooks, start with 000 and through 012. Each stack has several notebooks inside to further help with organizing. Over lots of time, I've found that I can still refine these even more, but not too much, as I still seem to have a broad array of topics. As you can see by the attachment, I incorporate my life, my family, my faith, my health as well as reference items and 'miscellanea' which is essentially my junk drawer I toss everything else in, yet even this stack has categories. I've found this works very well for me.

that's kinda of what I'm doing too, I find -- only without the numbers :lol:

Great tips here. Thanks, all.

I just gotta say -- thank the goddess for stacks. I think I'd go daft without.

Archived