With the new release it says that I can only log in using 1 device. I attempt to unsync a device  and I continue to get the same error message that I have reached my unsync limit. This is crazy. I have dozens of notes and no way to access them. I use them daily. I have submitted support tickets, but there is no resolution.

I have the free version of Evernote. I have always had either a trial or free account and I was told that while my account was limited, it was permanent until and unless I chose to change it or to end it. 

However, I have just tried to open my desktop app - after a long period of illness after injury and recovery from surgery. 

What I get is a brief glimpse of my Notebooks and then a screen pops up saying I have reached my limit. An email that I never saw until I deliberately searched for it - although is in my inbox! - says I have reached a limit of one Notebook and 50 notes, but I still have the ability to view, edit and delete my notes, etc. But I can't. 

The limit screen only offers two choices - a monthly option or a 40% discount on a yearly account. Neither of these is free!

I cannot even open the Desktop long enough to simply export everything.

While I have far less than 50 notes, I do have more than one Notebook - indeed, I was specifically told that I could have more than one note book and have notes in each one and I have had multiple Notebooks for at least the last 3 years!. Since 4th December 2023, this is supposedly no longer possible. However, I have opened Evernote a number of times since December and had no problems and no warning at all within the app. It is true that I seemed to have more problems signing in since the most recent updates and getting locked out has only occurred since an update today. So pre-update, no problem, post-update big problem.

It is fair enough that "free" accounts are limited. Evernote did not have to offer them, but having offered them and permitted me to create my note books without any negative indicators, it is very very frustrating that an app that opened with the same content a month or two ago now locks me out. This is a one-sided change of contract. 

All I want is to retrieve my work - and it is all work.

Screenshot1-Locked-Out.jpg

• Level 5

1 device at a time

50 notes (including trash), 1 notebook - whichever is exceeded will block the creation of new notes.

No good idea to use Free any more except for a plain trial, or under very specific conditions.

The easiest way would be to subscribe for a month and use this time to export all content, and close the account.

• Like 1

It looks like there is a third option,  you can click on "Unsync a device" to unsync other devices and likely then use a single device to proceed.

That said, PinkElephant gives the least pain way to proceed.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
51 minutes ago, MJ_Berkeley said:

It appears to be impossible to unsync a device. I have tried to unsync every thing and this is the error I get. I cannot log in to even get support - any ideas?

If you read the screens before getting to this limit,  it's quite easy to unsync devices - I have a free test account and I've done it myself.  Once you hit the limit however you have two choices:  wait out the 30-day suspension and try again,  or subscribe for at least one month to remove the block.  We're mostly other users here but it's possible to express your opinion to support via feedback@evernote.com.

I currently cannot do ANYTHING anymore, not even access my settings, because after a few seconds in the app I always get the "Upgrade to sync unlimited devices" screen. I logged into my web account, and unsynced my tablet and the web version there, so I could still have my phone as the one device. Now I'm regretting that, because the phone still blocks my access with that screen, so does the web login, so I cannot even check my list of devices anymore, or check if there is any way to export my notes so I can take them somewhere else.

This is ridiculous. How can EVERYTHING, including access to ACCOUNT SETTINGS, be blocked unless I upgrade to a paid plan?!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 8/17/2024 at 4:56 PM, b410 said:

I could still have my phone as the one device

It's a free service with limitations - what can I say? 

The web counts as a device,  so is the best option for Free users.  You've (presumably) been locked out for 30 days,  so your choices are to wait it out or to subscribe for at least one month to regain access.  

• Level 5
On 8/17/2024 at 5:56 PM, b410 said:

….

This is ridiculous. How can EVERYTHING, including access to ACCOUNT SETTINGS, be blocked unless I upgrade to a paid plan?!!

You ridiculed yourself. By violating the device or unsync limit, you imposed a 30 days block on your own account. While the account is blocked, you can’t do anything on it - not even change settings.

When it gets unlocked again, you better have a good strategy to bring it down to the 1 device allowed, without locking things up again.

It‘s „you against the machine“, and the machine will impose the next lock when you overstep the limits again.

I don't own Bending Spoon and it's not my business how they run it however I feel that getting the potential customer to wait for 30 days is probably the best way to piss them off.

Just an observation the recently the flood of negativity on the Reddit forum is getting ridiculous. Some post are well stretched from the truth but it would also dissway any potential customer too. Anyway, back to my work..

• Level 5*

...and strangely I've had a free test account alongside my subscription since forever and have never been locked out for any period - I just read and follow the messages on screen.  There's no 'plan' to delay user access or force payment - just a free account with specific rules about access.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

...and strangely I've had a free test account alongside my subscription since forever and have never been locked out for any period - I just read and follow the messages on screen.  There's no 'plan' to delay user access or force payment - just a free account with specific rules about access.

My mum has a free account too as do I next to my paid account. I guess I'm trying to say good will etc but like I mentioned before, I don't own Bending Soon so it's non of my business what policy they have in place

• Level 5

The problem was that for every subscriber, there were 10+ users on Free.

Taking your mum out of the equation - what justifies taking your subscription money, and funnel it away to sustain a 2-digit-number of other users ? Just for the sake of bloated user figures, and maybe pleasing investors to breed a super ecosystem.

I call this kangaroo companies: Empty pockets, but large jumps. The dire end of that strategy is known, and mistakes need to be fixed.