its really a mess with Evernote, since the bending spoons took over the control.. its really obvious that they themselve don't use their own product as a tool because they would see the many many serious bugs with closed eyes.. but they don't

Every new version comes up with some very minor changes that I can't find and they always promise things like "Fixes an issue where note shortcuts incorrectly worked" which is not, the shortcuts never worked since version 10 and still don't work in the latest version 10.100.3, even worse than in 10.99.3

I use links to my notes very very often and its so annoying that this sleepy programmers are not getting anything done :-((

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  AFAICS shortcuts are back to normal again,  and while Evernote's new owners seem to be followers of Elon Musk's "move fast and break things" philosophy,  they have introduced dozens of new features and in many cases fix bugs as soon as they can be identified.  This can be a bit of a shock compared with the previous several years of silence and steady decline under the previous management,  but generally seems a good thing.

We're mainly other users here,  so if you need to complain to Evernote I'd recommend the feedback@everenote.com option.  If you'd like any constructive suggestions as to how to deal with individual issues,  please let us know your device,  OS and give us some details of what you are experiencing...

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  AFAICS shortcuts are back to normal again,  and while Evernote's new owners seem to be followers of Elon Musk's "move fast and break things" philosophy,  they have introduced dozens of new features and in many cases fix bugs as soon as they can be identified.  This can be a bit of a shock compared with the previous several years of silence and steady decline under the previous management,  but generally seems a good thing.

We're mainly other users here,  so if you need to complain to Evernote I'd recommend the feedback@everenote.com option.  If you'd like any constructive suggestions as to how to deal with individual issues,  please let us know your device,  OS and give us some details of what you are experiencing...

I have a simple piece of advice for you: use Evernote as a tool yourself and you will see how botched it is in many places

5 minutes ago, cooljake said:

use Evernote as a tool yourself and you will see how botched it is in many places

We use EN as a very helpfull tool and like to cross-link notes a lot. As long as you cannot describe more in detail what function botches you, it's simply un-cool to speek in cloudy words.

3 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

We use EN as a very helpfull tool and like to cross-link notes a lot. As long as you cannot describe more in detail what function botches you, it's simply un-cool to speek in cloudy words.

Don't worry, I'm using Evernote since 2012 and all the problems are since I was forced to move to version 10...

The problem with cross-link notes is simple to describe:

1. I navigate to a note, i.e. my todo-list of the week, where are only links to other notes, my current projects

2. if I click one of that link I will be moved to any random note

3. if I click with ctl-button, a new window opens with the correct note, but this is very inconvenient for me

4. if I press the back-button I'll be moved to the next random note but not to the origin note where I came from

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oups, that's really annoying. Didn't see a problem with that because I like to open notes in new windows in all cases 😉. Not just since V10...

But I/we've other complains around displaying notes in conjuction with note list because sometimes opening a note occupies such lists:

I'll open a support ticket around the problems of following internal links. Please do the same to get more attention from EN site.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Oups, that's really annoying. Didn't see a problem with that because I like to open notes in new windows in all cases 😉. Not just since V10...

But I/we've other complains around displaying notes in conjuction with note list because sometimes opening a note occupies such lists:

I'll open a support ticket around the problems of following internal links. Please do the same to get more attention from EN site.

well, I have nearly 50k notes and like to move from note to note and not open them in new windows.. one reason why I have many thousand links

in my books I use bookmarks for fast moves to specific pages.. Imagine I would be forced by the author to tear out each page I wanna bookmark and lay this page on my desktop

The annoying thing is that cross-links sometimes work and often not, changing from EN version to EN version, its sinmply not reliable

23 minutes ago, cooljake said:

The annoying thing is that cross-links sometimes work and often not, changing from EN version to EN version, its sinmply not reliable

OK - cannot comment on this because my workflow seems to be not your's 😉
But changing (or more worse disappearing) functionality with new versions makes me angry too often 😤 - I often mentioned missing QA (especially automatic regression testing...)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

As @AlbertR I'm using Evernote daily - started in 2010 or so,  now up to 68K+ notes and counting...  I use internal and external links daily,  but so far my experience has not been bad.  I don't jump back and forth a lot,  but I agree - hitting "back" will get you a random note,  not where you just came from.  Evernote just fixed some link issues with 10.100.3 (sign out and back in or restart if you didn't see any benefit yet).  Hopefully they will get this fixed soon.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, gazumped said:

As @AlbertR I'm using Evernote daily - started in 2010 or so,  now up to 68K+ notes and counting...  I use internal and external links daily,  but so far my experience has not been bad.  I don't jump back and forth a lot,  but I agree - hitting "back" will get you a random note,  not where you just came from.  Evernote just fixed some link issues with 10.100.3 (sign out and back in or restart if you didn't see any benefit yet).  Hopefully they will get this fixed soon.

okay, maybe this is a Windows bug only?
I was happy that this very old fault becomes better and better until 10.99.3 but with 10.100.3 it fall back to old behaviors again and nearly no link is working

My Android app works works much better with cross-links, but in Windows it is awful

if you have 68k notes you'll agree, that you only find single notes if you give a search and then click a link to the next note, click back, if you didn't find the one you're looking for and back and forth

Also, if you just wanna lookup s.th. in a linked note and come back to the note where you work with

All this does not work in EN momantary, at least in Windows 10

• Like 1

I have the same experience as @cooljake.  I've found it seems to affect mainly [only?] older, not recently edited notes.  Modifying the source note [with the old cross/internal link] and/or the destination note seems to make things happy again - at least for a while.  There seems to be something about old note formats that the new version(s) don't like.  Simply editing a note seems to reformat it and miraculously things work (.e.g. internal links, tag filtering, etc.).

I hope Evernote either fixes this backward compatibility issue, or provides a way to mass convert to the new format - so that ALL notes are accessible whether or not they've been recently edited.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, hartman_md said:

I have the same experience as @cooljake.  I've found it seems to affect mainly [only?] older, not recently edited notes.  Modifying the source note [with the old cross/internal link] and/or the destination note seems to make things happy again - at least for a while.  There seems to be something about old note formats that the new version(s) don't like.  Simply editing a note seems to reformat it and miraculously things work (.e.g. internal links, tag filtering, etc.).

I hope Evernote either fixes this backward compatibility issue, or provides a way to mass convert to the new format - so that ALL notes are accessible whether or not they've been recently edited.

Update regarding problem notes (cross/internal links to them don't work, they're not found with tag filter search, etc.):

I tried using @cooljake's suggestion, "click with ctl-button, a new window opens with the correct note."  Thanks for that!!!  Once the note is open, make an edit... anything, then manually sync with Ctrl+R.  Miraculously, all the note's woes are gone.

Again... feels like it's something about old note formats that the new version(s) don't like. Simply editing a note seems to reformat it and miraculously things work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, hartman_md said:

something about old note formats that the new version(s) don't like

It's true that notes which have not been opened for a year or more are still in older formats - Evernote has undertaken a huge amount of ongoing work to update and upgrade server and database support structures.  New notes are automatically created in the latest format,  older notes need to be converted so they can be updated and saved.  I saw a note somewhere that Evernote was at one time the "largest worldwide repository of personal data".  I'm not sure that's true any more,  but they will have a huge amount - and converting all notes of a certain age to the latest format at any single point in time would probably collapse the network.  I'd think they'll stick to a just-in-time approach.