Evernote Mac dire performance since 10.98.3

Go to solution Solved by AndyDent,

I update my Evernote regularly but since 10.98.3 (20240725174632) performance has been incredibly bad.

I'm talking many seconds to create a new note or populate the list screen.

I have an iMac 2017 with 40GB RAM. Evernote is now almost unusable in there. Double-clicking a note to open in a New Window takes over 10 seconds. Creating a new note takes more like 20 seconds. (10.99.3)

I also just bought a 16" M3 Pro Macbook with 36GB of RAM which is a beast of a machine. This still takes three seconds to show an empty note! (10.98.3)

When I click on a note's notebook to bring up the picker and type in a few letters, there's a pulsing greyed-out matching display. On the MB16 it takes nearly four seconds for this list to finish resolving and allow me to select a match.

This used to be an almost instant action even on the iMac!

I'm a developer (40 years experience) so my eye for changed behaviour is very keen. 

As I have over 50K notes maybe these problems are due to something apparently trivial that's been changed that is reliant on note count. Making this point in case someone on the dev team cannot replicate with a small Evernote store.

The entire point of Evernote being an offline client is to have instant behaviour, not break my concentration by waiting like I'm using a web client on a bad connection.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, AndyDent said:

Evernote being an offline client

I thought it was a cloud-based service that 'could' operate offline from time to time...  I have close to 70K notes and no lags when online.  Just tested airplane mode and got a brief lag (~1 second) pulling up old notes under a 'syncing temporarily paused' flag.  I auto-updated to 10.99.3 earlier.  Have you tried an Appcleaner uninstall/ reinstall?

I am having the same issue with the latest version of Evernote 10.99.3 for the last few days. The Slowness has been on my Windows 11 Ryzen 8xxx series laptop and my MacBook Pro M3Pro 14". I've also had slowness experience on my Ryzen 6xxx Series laptop and Ryzen 5xxx Series laptop.

For example adding TAGs used to be fast 2 - 3 versions before but last few version it's just been a lag which has not happened on the MBP m3 Pro with Evernote 10x for a while.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2024 at 3:29 PM, gazumped said:

Have you tried an Appcleaner uninstall/ reinstall?

In the original story I said this occurred on two wildly-different Macs.

On the same account, I also have an M1 Air. I've avoided updating it. There are no performance problems with it running 10.97.3

• Solution

Since updating to 10.100.3 performance has notably improved, although there's no admission in the release notes that there was an issue.

10.100.3 does seem to have its own issues with the Notes list view becoming unresponsive, requiring a restart. This includes:

• being unable to remove items from Shortcuts
  • double-clicking a note or choosing the explicit Open in New Window (from top-right ellipsis) failing to open a new window.

I am also going to start a policy of restarting the Mac after an Evernote upgrade in case problems are related to it failing to flush out something. I cannot tell if this is a factor in this improved performance or not, as 10.100.3 was auto-installed on reboot.

On 8/10/2024 at 9:46 AM, AndyDent said:

no admission in the release notes that there was an issue

Evernote Engineer Marco has mentioned that on the Reddit Forum that they are aware of users having issue and would likely see a fix early next week.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, iceman melb said:

Evernote Engineer Marco has mentioned that on the Reddit Forum that they are aware of users having issue and would likely see a fix early next week.

I’m surprised and disappointed that Evernote developers would rather respond on Reddit or X instead of on their own forums…

On 8/10/2024 at 12:46 AM, AndyDent said:

I am also going to start a policy of restarting the Mac after an Evernote upgrade in case problems are related to it failing to flush out something.

That's a good plan. So many times I've had to log out and in again or reboot to kick start a feature or fix. There must be some sort of settings cache hidden somewhere.