RAM leak in Windows Evernote application 10.98.2?

Go to solution Solved by KrystianJ,

Hello. I have been wrestling with a computer problem for the last few days and I think the Windows Evernote application is the cause.

The issue I am experiencing: my computer has been suddenly freezing / crashing. Things suddenly get very slow, then everything freezes and I have to force restart the machine. This has happened 5 or 6 times over the last 48hrs. I started using Task Manager to monitor the resources used by my computer to identify what was happening. I noticed that every time the computer froze, RAM usage was at 99%. Task manager showed that all applications/services running seemed to be using a nominal amount of RAM and the totals across all services did not add up to the 99% I witnessed being used. I went through a systematic process to see if a specific application may be causing it, and Evernote is the guilty party.

While the Evernote application (version number 10.98.2) is open on my Windows 11 computer, the total amount of RAM being used by the computer slowly goes up. If left alone, this ultimately crashes the computer. If I close the Evernote UI window open on my computer, the window disappears and it seems that Evernote is closed (there is no Evernote icon in the system tray either), but the Evernote service continues to be listed as active in Task Manager, and the total RAM use continues to climb. If I use Task Manager to 'End task' on the Evernote service, it then disappears and the total RAM usage returns to normal over about 30 seconds.

I have repeated this test several times and I'm sure Evernote is causing the problem. I have uninstalled the Evernote application, restarted and reinstalled it again from the website and the issue still continues. For now I have to stop using the Evernote application and just run it through the browser, but this is less than ideal and I much prefer using the application.

Here is the version details of the Windows Evernote application that is causing this problem:

image.png.0a948474c69e3bc72972d2190966f1d4.png

I met an effect that several Evernote.exe processes occupied the CPU (not RAM) completely on an Win10-32M-i7CPU. I had to use the TaskManager to kill the processes to calm down the fan... A Win11 computer (also 32M-i7) shows no problems.

If your problem is reproducable, please contact EN support and|or try to describe your system more in detail. i.E by using screen dump of your TaskManager like these from my Win10 system:

image.png.3b6379602d3ae1ae6b9df5742146168f.png

image.png.ee605d876088b84588a33b6b0ffdbe22.png

I'm having this same issue. 

I just switch back to Evernote (so of course it doesn't work like I want). Everything is painfully slow. Creating a note, updating a tag, adding an image to a note. Everything and I mean everything is +4 seconds. 

Please help!

image.png.1a24903bb82e3cb407d7aa0a78b6a878.png

image.png.9a347d9a0227dea1ddc3cf06c916fb0a.png

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Ryan D said:

Everything is painfully slow.

Slow connections can mean anything from internet traffic to limited storage space.  To ensure that Evernote is working correctly,  try a full clean re-install - 

If Evernote is active,  sign out / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.  Power off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall from Evernote.com and leave Evernote running to rebuild the local data.  New installs are typically a little slow - things get better after a day or so.

If that does not address the issue,  make sure your system is as up to date as possible and you have 30% free local (not network) storage space.  Contact Evernote Support.

Thank you for the reply Gaz. 

I'vr actually already done all that with the exception of the Revo Uninstall. I'll give that a shot. Additional details, I'm not new to EN. I left and am trying to come back after hating OneNote. I've got about 20k notes and about 1k tags for scope. Love to hear others have larger collections with no issues. 

The UI experience feels more like a caching / indexing issue. When I search some old tags, they pop right up, newer tags don't populate or do so after a much longer time frame. Is it possible to have EN "re-index" my collection? My account is about 15 years old. 

• Solution

Hi everyone.

I emailed Evernote support last week. They responded to ask for my logs but I've heard nothing since then.

In the meantime I managed to stop the issue from happening by installing the Evernote application from the Microsoft Store rather than downloaded from the website. The MS Store version appears to be exactly the same version, but it does not cause the RAM leak / crash issues I have been experiencing with the website app.