Mac app 10.97.1 "switch to the desktop app with a single click"

Note to this version in the app store states: "When opening a note link on Evernote web, vou can now switch to the desktop app with a single click."

1. Yes, that's true, but it is very SLOW. Very, very show to have to go to the web browser first and then be redirected to the app.
  2. I don't see a clear way to create an "app link" any more. That worked so well, where is it? (copying the web link is now the only option)
  3. Attempting to simply share a link with myself - so I can stick it in some document - is now very slow, because of the lack of the "app link" option.

SCR-20240718-iagv.png.7eb9abe068e80efaa79ddca9fe8540e0.png

I just tested and counted 3 and a bit Mississippi's to open the note in the app and that included accepting the two pop up boxes.

In settings you can set the default to open in web or app or ask you, mine is ask you.

image.png.4d9eb47c4273cb35047d31f62828af5d.png

Going forward there's going to be one link for sharing instead of the two and folks can decide how they open that link.

@Jon/t: yes. Thank. you for the response, but I had that set, though I was unaware of it - so thanks!

Note:

1. In the app itself, it works great.
  2. The issue is when I want a link to my Evernote note placed in a Google Doc note, for example.
  3. Opening the link now takes me to my default browser and then, after a while, finally on to the desktop app -- but it's very ponderous, very slow.
14 minutes ago, Eukaryote said:
  • The issue is when I want a link to my Evernote note placed in a Google Doc note, for example.

If you right click the note you can still get an app link under copy internal link.

1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

Going forward there's going to be one link for sharing instead of the two and folks can decide how they open that link.

This is not a good path for those of us who use links a lot. Unless they change the web client to quickly determine whether to launch the desktop app or not to handle the link, paying (in time and bandwidth) for downloading the Evernote INDEX (or whatever they do in the web client at the start) is a big inconvenience.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

This is not a good path for those of us who use links a lot. Unless they change the web client to quickly determine whether to launch the desktop app or not to handle the link, paying (in time and bandwidth) for downloading the Evernote INDEX (or whatever they do in the web client at the start) is a big inconvenience.

Internal links are not changing,  this is just for sharing.

Before a share email would have a desktop link and an app link... now its just one link and then a choice where to open it.

• Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Internal links are not changing,  this is just for sharing.

Before a share email would have a desktop link and an app link... now its just one link and then a choice where to open it.

If only the release notes announcement could have been as clear as you!

2 minutes ago, Mike P said:

If only the release notes announcement could have been as clear as you!

Yeah, as far as I know this only effects links that are clicked outside of Evernote. Trying to find out if right click copy app link in being removed as there are now many ways to link internally.

So now that this has changed, it seems to best thing is to say "No, thank you." Took me a minute find how to make this chose again, but it is simply to tell the app (in a browser under settings) to ask every time and then change my remembered preference. This preference only seems to affect the app in the browser - thank goodness.

image.thumb.png.64c2c56e35886ea208910248f663f257.png

image.png.7b1f7d8f3ba067ae8cb050ca8b68b370.png

My iMac is still on an older version of the Desktop app (10.95.6). The "Copy internal link" method works perfectly! When the "app link" is copied and used in a browser, the link leads to the app. I liked that. I fail to understand what is better about the new methodology. It does not behave better at all.

ScreenShot2024-07-18at6_03_54PM.thumb.png.9ebec90912d14042e31f05ec27b2f69a.png

ScreenShot2024-07-18at6_04_19PM.thumb.png.a6f8be0fc5aa197d3c7a252471951a04.png

On 7/18/2024 at 11:08 AM, Jon/t said:

Yeah, as far as I know this only effects links that are clicked outside of Evernote. Trying to find out if right click copy app link in being removed as there are now many ways to link internally.

So I understand why developers might want to hide the app link copy choice to make things less confusing for some folks since the web link will mostly work in all cases once setting are right for having the browser open the app to access a note.  I was actually able to set all that pretty easily as a default behavior using Chrome as my browser. However, this significantly slows down opening a note linked from a third party app. My regular work flow is to put evernote: (app) links in my task/project managment software and when I clicked on them, the local Evernote Mac app opened up nicely to the correct note.  From a little reading on the forums, I'm not the only one to do that and thankfully I found the references to copy app link still being on the right-click/context sensitive menu on the note list.

However, it seems like things might be moving in the directly to remove the ability to copy an app link completely. If anyone who has input into development is reading this, my plea is that you can hide it if that's really important to your interface vision (maybe make us hold down a modifier key on copy link to change to an app copy), but please don't completely remove the feature that has been around for a long time and is used by some.

3 hours ago, Bill C said:

However, it seems like things might be moving in the directly to remove the ability to copy an app link completely.

No that's not true. 

There was a call the other day and the shortcut will work to copy and app link for users that need it.

4 hours ago, Bill C said:

However, it seems like things might be moving in the [direction] to remove the ability to copy an app link completely.

1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

No that's not true. 

There was a call the other day and the shortcut will work to copy and app link for users that need it.

I'm glad to hear there is some official word that copy an app link won't be removed.  I haven't been active on these forums for a while (maybe since Bending Spoons took over) and when I was last active folks with an Expert (as opposed to employee tag) used to say they couldn't speak for the company.

As for "that's not true", by me saying "it seems like things might be moving" a certain way, I'm stating that the impact on me of the changes gave me the impression that the feature was on its way out when all of a sudden I couldn't find it after an upgrade until I came and searched these forums where I found the work around.  (I did also submit a support ticket before I found an answer on a forum.) So that impression is undoubtedly true for me. I didn't say that was a fact, and I'm happy to hear facts stating my impression is incorrect.

• 1 month later...