Evernote iOS 10.94.1 is unusable slow

Evernote version: 10.94.1 (1224198)

iOS version: 17.5.1

TL;DR: Evernote unusable slow 

I updated Evernote last night, and since the update it has been unusably slow.  Opening the note I use most often takes 14 seconds.  Typing is recognized at about 7 seconds per character.  I often use a Bluetooth keyboard to edit my notes, and today I can type 5 characters and then I have to wait 35 seconds for Evernote to recognize them all.  This also happens with the on-screen keyboard, and doesn’t happen in other apps (I am typing fine in Safari now) so it is definitely Evernote.

The note I edit most often is quite large - it is a daily to-do list for all of 2024 so far - but up to yesterday afternoon Evernote performed fine with it.  Small notes still perform fine, so the size of the note is probably relevant.  I copied the first hundred-or-so lines of the big note into a new note, and so far there are no performance issues with the new note.

Prior to last night’s update I did not have these problems, so the most recent update is definitely to blame.

I am new-ish to reporting bugs in Evernote, so how do I get this escalated to an actual bug?

• Level 5

In fact the actual version for iOS is 10.95.2.

This means the first step for you is to go to the AppStore and update your client.

Solved ?

If not, log out of the app, quit it, restart the iOS device, open the app again and log in.

Solved ?

If not, uninstall the app, dumping all data. Then make a FORCED restart of the iOS device, reinstall the EN app, open and log in.

Solved ?

If not, you find the support option behind your avatar picture top left, and then down the list.

Nope, the update is not it.  Updated to 10.95.2, problem still as bad as before.   

I have tried force-quitting the app, and restarting my phone.  I have an iPhone 14 Pro, so performance should not be an issue.

I have not tried logging out yet; I might try that (except that I am not sure I remember my password to log back in).

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're showing as a free user here though you seem to be making extensive use of Evernote.  If you're not a subscriber I'd suggest upgrading for a month or so at least to get access to email support.

• Level 5

If I wanted to use EN, I would subscribe: Free is no more than a trial.

Else there is Apple Notes, free and on all Apple devices plus the iCloud access. Or any other alternative, there are plenty.

Remark: EN is snappy on all iOS devices - this has improved a lot. But it tends to loose new content, and that is a clear degradation.

I use Evernote a lot, and I like the formatting options, but I can’t bring myself to pay $15/month for effectively just editing a single note.  If there was an option for $5/month, that allowed me to use both a PC and my phone for it, then I would drop that without hesitation, but not $15.

Doing it for 1 month for the support might be worth it though.  If the logout/login doesn’t work then that is my next option because I don’t want to uninstall.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Voodoobunny said:

I can’t bring myself to pay $15/month for effectively just editing a single note.

If your only need is simple note editing, the Evernote is not the tool for you.

Im running Evernote 10.96 on IOS and Im using an iPhone 14+ without any issues. I've got 20 GB storage left. Have you updated your IOS and restarted the iphone?

I've got over 50k notes and I've 1 note which I refer to alot just like you and its running fine on my end.

Ice

• Like 1

so is 10.95.5 on macOS  🤐

I do not understand those bermuda-shirt-guys in California, they must think they are really doing well

in fact, they are killing Evernote.

unfortunately, there is no good alternative for us

• Level 5

LOL these Bermuda shirts were send on permanent leave a year ago.

The hard working staff is now located in Milan, Italy, since ownership has changed hands.

Probably they are doing well, thank you.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

LOL these Bermuda shirts were send on permanent leave a year ago.

The hard working staff is now located in Milan, Italy, since ownership has changed hands.

Probably they are doing well, thank you.

well, … what can I say!

the clothes may have changed, but Evernote is not getting any better.
trying to add bulk labels: this is a nightmare.

• Level 5

I have explained how to do it. 

But we are in the iOS subform here, and on iOS you can't make ANY bulk modifications. Bulk changes are reserved for the desktop clients, and to some expend to the web client.

• Like 1

My bad: wrong forum.

I do not come here very often.

Your tip of disconnecting worked: plugging out the data-cable and wifi.
Still, adding labels to notes is cumbersome: only 100 notes at the time and although it is faster, it takes a lot of time.

So, these guys may not walk around with surfboards under their armpits anymore, still … every nation has its trades …
The quality is not what it could and should be

• Level 5

The limit of 100 (used to be 50) was still put into the system by the surfers.

There was (is ?) a way to raise it to about 1.000. But since you need to apply it after every update, I skipped doing it a long time ago.

please elaborate?

what you are saying only proves my point that the app is not about being the best software.
In the many years that I have used it (and still will because of lack of alternative) I have seen it gone worse unfortunately.
Still, I have to use it, for the benefits it has do outweigh the discofort

• Level 5

The limit is there because when you do a multi note operation online, it will block the client for a pretty long time.

The workaround requires a modification of a .json file. And I can neither guarantee that it still works, nor that it doesn't damage anything.

• 1 month later...

Back to the topic

Evernote (particularly on ios/ipad) is indeed slow slow it is unusuale. Takes forever just to load one note. And offline mode is completely broken.

(and yes, I uninstalled, deleted the data, and reinstalled and re-downloaded) ... I dont think it got better, in fact I think it got worse.

I've been a paid subscriber since 2008/2009 .... and this has been watching a slow motion train wreck. Feature bloat (for stuff I don't need), mysteriously missing features (that I used to use) ... all the while the peformance is at a crawl.  The new management team seems to be great at making announcements, pushing meaningless updates, and ... not sure what else. All the while, the frustrated use list grows. 

• Like 1

@cornell2

recent and in the past I have tried to report these things to EN and also in a forum (sorry, I am still in the wrong forum here …), but this 'answer' is often the same: mine works fine, have you tried this and that …, etc.
I have been using EN quite sometime (somewhere 2010 or 2011) and back then there were also many problems.

being a long time user ánd at home with any Apple-device (since os 4 om Mac … and having been the proud owner a iPhone 3 (was a novelty in NL), I am quite capable to do troubleshooting the proper way and doing basics like hard resetting and stuff! The answer can never lie there, and the experience so far is the it seldom solves the problem - it often boils down to … the software itself, which is kinda logical I guess? > the software is an addition to a system, so if there are any problems, … the software is not working as intended, so: solve the problem from within.

Desktop EN worked fine finally, just before they killed it with the new version. The new version still has quite a few quirks but in de desktop is now workable, be it that some very useful features are still missing and that it sometimes remembers it was born and created from bermuda-shirt-people, a remanence of the 60's of the past century 🤔

So, what I meet, also here, in reading the notes, is a bit of a lack in actually trying to help, being neutral to someone else … : it is of no interest if someone is paying or not, that is NOT the issue. What someone chooses tot do is their business!

So, If you cannot help, don't bring up things that are of no help to anyone?

(not inviting more unnecessaries …

the advert of EN is that EN works on all devices!

this is obvious a matter of definition of what 'works' actually means

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, J-o-o-o said:

So, what I meet, also here, in reading the notes, is a bit of a lack in actually trying to help, being neutral to someone else

The Forums are pretty much 100% user-supported.  No staff here,  apart from the Forum admins making sure it's all still working. 

Any help provided is entirely through the generosity and (very variable) skill of the contributor,  and subject to the often highly inadequate description and unrealistic expectation of events provided by a poster. 

Users here are often highly experienced but can be very direct in expressing their own opinions.  For official individual help (including frequent links to support) please see the help pages - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

I do understand the nature of this forum. 
the point I’m trying to make is that sometime nuance seems to be a alien 👽 word for some. 
anyway: the saying ‘if the shoe fit …’ is appropriate I think. 
no offence intended, I too can be direct, hopefully to the point. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/28/2024 at 9:50 AM, J-o-o-o said:

I too can be direct, hopefully to the point. 

Hopefully.  So far all I'm seeing is gnomish comments from various users that contain no specific facts or requests. 

"Unusable" or "Too slow" aren't conditions we can provide any meaningful help for,  especially without knowing which exact device,  or OS / Evernote version numbers you're using.  What actions are you trying to take which appear too slow?  Using which features?  Is the device offline?  Connected by wifi?  Mobile network? 

Have you contacted Support?  What other fixes have you tried?  Maybe a force quit / uninstall / power off and back on / re-install?

Help us to help you.

• Level 5

Currently we are on EN iOS 10.101.6.

The version 10.101.4 was in fact close to unusable. Opening a note took a long time, up to half a minute. Offline download (the prior download was wiped) was a crawl.

10.101.6 is slightly better, but only gradually. Practically every note I open takes a few seconds - above annoyment level, hindering my workflow. And worse, if I pull down the list of notes with a finger to force a refresh, the app quits unexpectedly 💣🤯.

Notes holding pictures won't sync by themselves, forcing a sync through settings produces syncing time between 5 minutes and above an hour (which means I have to keep the autolockscreen off, which is bad for my phones battery).

We are taking an iPhone 15 Pro max here, updated to the latest, with 300+ GB of available space. Gigabit Internet, mesh WiFi. Hardly a borderline setup ...

The current EN management fails completely in assuring release quality. Period.

• Sad 1