why is there a restriction of 2 disconnects per month for non-members?

I've recently decided not to renew due to cost of living constraints. And I'm not able to login to Evernote and see my notes at all since I have to disconnect all but 2 devices but I can't do that since there's a 2 disconnect limit per month and I have more than 10 devices from the past. I feel like my notes have been held to a subscription ransom. Do you realise how unethical this is? Please do something about it quickly.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, tekomikon said:

Do you realise how unethical this is?

Not supplying services that haven't been paid for?  There might be some arguments about that..  

For information - we're mainly users here - you can feed back your concerns to Evernote via feedback@evernote.com.  Meantime if you have been locked out your notes are quite safe - you can wait out the suspension or re-subscribe on monthly payments with a view to unsubscribing again in a month or two when your access is sorted out.

If you're desperate and want to get out, try the evernote-backup tool on github to pull enex files of your notebooks. It's CLI, but should get your data out and then you can import into a free app such as Joplin in order to access your data if you are past your disconnect limit or are unable to subscribe for a month to do the same with the Evernote app itself.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not supplying services that haven't been paid for?

As long as BS offer a free - albeit limited - version of V10, it is perfectly fine for people to take that offer and not get heat from other users for that. 
It's a business decision from BS to keep this going. 
But as long as  BS offer this free model people can expect it to work as advertised.

• Level 5
18 hours ago, tekomikon said:

... I can't do that since there's a 2 disconnect limit per month and I have more than 10 devices from the past. ... Please do something about it quickly.

Very simple: The unsync limit is in place since 2020, even if you may not have been aware of it. So the first advise (too late for you) is to set everything up as being on Free before actually dropping to that level. It is not unethical to expect users to do this step when they cancel their subscription.

You can solve the problem yourself: Subscribe for a month to Personal, remove the devices, maybe use the time to reorganize what you want to keep. You will not be able to move notes to other notebooks on Free, due to the notebook restriction. So do it before.

Waiting until it resets is probably no good Plan B for you: Removing 10 devices will keep you locked out for 5 months.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Feitz said:

people can expect it to work as advertised.

Which it in fact does,  down to the detailed warnings and help around device limits.  If a user walks into a self-inflicted lockout it is demonstrably not 'heat' to point out that fact whilst also giving what I hope was some helpful comments.

21 hours ago, tekomikon said:

And I'm not able to login to Evernote and see my notes at all since I have to disconnect all but 2 devices but I can't do that since there's a 2 disconnect limit per month and I have more than 10 devices from the past. I feel like my notes have been held to a subscription ransom.

oof. I thought I had a reminder for myself to disconnect all but 2 devices before my sub expires in September, but turns out I didn't have a reminder (but do now). Thanks for the heads up and sorry it turned out that way for you.