Android v. 10.92.1 can't open links

• Level 5

I made the mistake of updating the Android app on my Samsung 22 Ultra today, and I got the new interface with v. 10.92.1. I find that links to Websites do not open. Period. I've tried multiple links in multiple notes; cleared the cache; restarted the phone. Is anyone else experiencing this?

7 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Bizarre. If I can't live with it, I'll uninstall and reinstall.

Perhaps its an issue with your default browser or android system webview. I use Vivaldi and all web links open in that. Chrome is disabled on my phone.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, Quetanit said:

Yeah, same here. The update messed up links for me too. I’ve tried everything you did with no luck. 

Good to know I'm not alone! What's your default browser that the links should open in? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

This same issue developed for me today on Android only (not PC). I'm pretty sure that links were working since the last app update, but I'm not 100% certain of that version; nevertheless, there was a new one available today (10.94.1) so I updated to that and still no response when tapping on links.

I then tried clearing the phone's cache via the boot menu - no luck
Uninstalling and reinstalling 10.94.1 - no luck
And finally reverting to previous version 10.91.3 which I KNOW used to work fine, but was surprised to find it no longer does!

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G running Android 13. There was a Samsung Android security update a few days ago - can't remember exactly when - but I'm almost sure that links have been working subsequently.

My 'default browser' is Better Open With, an app that lets you select which browser you wish to use every time you tap a link. Based on @Catahamme and @bmcl26reports just above, I will install Brave and see if that makes any difference.

I have filed a bug report (with EN's Android logs) but based on previous experience I don't expect to get any personal reply.

EDIT: This is definitely something to do with the default browser

I haven't tried Brave but I did change my default browser away from Better Open With and here are my results:

• Chrome: opens okay
  • Samsung Internet: opens okay
  • Firefox: opens okay
  • Duck Duck Go: opens okay
  • Edge: opens okay
  • Opera: does not open
  • Better Open With: does not open
  • Like 1
On 6/20/2024 at 11:18 AM, mackid1993 said:

Perhaps its an issue with your default browser or android system webview

I don't think this is it. I reverted Android System Webview to the factory version, but no change. 

Meanwhile (or who knows, maybe forever) here is a workaround:

1) If you have edit protection enabled, put the note into edit mode
2) Long-press on the link
The entire link should now be selected, and you can choose to open it from the pop-up menu

But if it's one of those horrid un-editable Webclipper links (that nobody ever asked for!) of course this won't work.

EDIT: I've just realised that this method only works for links that are actual URLs, not for those that are hidden behind text. Dammit!

Edited by Ralph77

By the way - so far, all we know about devices is that both me and @Dave-in-Decatur use Samsungs. Anyone else who has been affected by this, please post your brand of device?

There was another monthly Samsung Android security update for me this morning, but sadly it didn't fix it.

2 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I use a Samsung A70, and it is working fine.10.94.1

Thanks.

I have just installed it on a very old Motorola phone that runs Android 9 with interesting results. Despite the app running at a stone-age pace on this device (it's not zippy even on my 4 year old then-top-of-the-line Samsung either) the ordinary links open okay, even using the latest version of Opera, but the Webclipper links still refuse to open. Not sure what to conclude from this.

When I get the chance later I'll install it on a recent model Lenovo tablet and report back.