• Level 5*

So I retired a year or so ago. Hadn't gotten around to reorganizing notes from my old job until today. Had a bunch of notes in a notebook that was misnamed, so I thought, OK, let's rename it. Evernote refused.  Why? I don't know. No error message; just the "Rename" entry on the right-click menu grayed out and unresponsive (other notebooks *could* be renamed, just not this one). Dumb fun #1.

So OK, let's just create a new notebook, and move the notes over. Seemed easy enough. So go to the source notebook, and try to select all of the notes therein (there were over 1,000). Whoops, cannot select more than 100 notes at a time. Dumb fun #2.

Well damn, I'll just select 100 at a time and move them to the new notebook by dragging the selection to the new notebook. Well, moving 100 notes takes a bit of time, more than a minute for sure. Dumb fun #3. Why is this so slow? 

OK, so after about of half an hour of selecting 100, and then dragging them to the new folder, it's done. Then I look at the updated dates for these notes, and their Updated dates are changed to the time that they were moved (the notes all now say "Last edited on Jun 17, 2024". I did not change the contents of the notes, just their containing notebook. Updated date should not change -- it's important information!. Dumb fun #5.

Then I look back at the original source notebook, and see that it still contains one note. ??? Try moving that several times (via dragging to the new notebook, and via right-click/Move...). Nope, that note stays behind in the notebook-that-should-now-be-empty. Dumb fun #6.

OK, I'm somewhat literate in programming (only 40 years of development experience). I'll just make a new dummy note in the old notebook, and move the duplicated note over to the new one, and then delete the old notebook. Nope -- it doesn't move; the old notebook contains 2 notes: the one I'm trying to move, plus the new dummy note. So I decide to take a peek into the new notebook, and lo, there are now several copies of that same note in the new notebook. This does not conform with any rational behavior that I'm familiar with. Dumb fun #7.

One last try: given that all of the notes from the original notebook are now resident in the new notebook (modulo the updated date fiasco), let's just try to delete the old notebook with the two duped -- and seemingly undeletable -- notes. RIght-click on it, no "Delete notebook" option. ?!?!? (or rather #$%^&@). Oh wait, there is a 'Leave notebook' option, don't know what it means, but let's try that. Hmmm, well the notebook has now left the stack it was in. But I can now delete those two pesky duplicate (-ish) notes. Hooray! But still cannot delete the now-empty notebook. Dumb fun #8.

Giving up at this point. 

Edit: just for the record, version info:

10.92.3-win-ddl-public (20240612161827)
Editor: v178.12.0
Service: v1.113.6
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

That 100 note thing is a pain.  It might have been easier to export all the notes in that notebook to ENEX,  then re-import to a new notebook.  And could your undeletable notebook be set as your default?  I would agree with the learned opinion above however.  Ouch.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Might it be that your bullet proof notebook was shared to you, and belongs to another user ?

I think you might be onto something there -- it was an old work notebook, and I did have a separate account for that. I retired about a year ago, and haven't needed Evernote as much since then, and have forgotten all of the rules (well, most of them).

--dumbFun;

Thanks!

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, gazumped said:

That 100 note thing is a pain.  It might have been easier to export all the notes in that notebook to ENEX,  then re-import to a new notebook.

I think that that may have worked, in retrospect. I feel like a newbie all over again! :) 

Thanks! Glad to see that a bunch of the old gang is still on the job!

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, jefito said:

I think that that may have worked, in retrospect. I feel like a newbie all over again! :) 

Thanks! Glad to see that a bunch of the old gang is still on the job!

Don’t worry - we feel like Newbies after every untested and unproven update they dump on our heads 🤪

Congrats 🍾 to retirement !

• Like 2