Offline Performance Evernote for windows version 10.87.6

Go to solution Solved by thefryhole,

This concenrs version 10.87.6 running on a windows 11 PC. Evernote Performance offline is so poor to be not functional. I searched for some notes whilst I was offline. It took over 1 minute for the relevant notes to appear. I clicked on one. It did not open and all notes seemed to go blank. I waited two minutes and nothing changed. Once I was back online, it seemed to be stuck on synching until I switched off and restarted the PC. Is there anything I should do to improve this performance? In the next year or so I intend to use Evernote or equivalent entirely offline for several weeks at the time (I am going ocean sailing). Any advice gratefully received.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Alessandra said:

I intend to use Evernote or equivalent entirely offline for several weeks at the time

Hi.  I'm jealous of your sailing trip,  but I'd recommend finding a different app than Evernote.  It's more an online than offline app and without some fairly technical adjustments you won't be able to backup any work for a scarily long time.  I'd suggest something that saves to local storage - and that you take an external hard drive as backup.

You should be able to recover some performance by uninstalling your current app with Revo Uninstaller (which zaps bits that Windows doesn't reach) and downloading the current version from Evernote.com - we're up to 10.88.4

• Like 1

The update you mention is not available in my region yet. I will wait.

I can't help myself but note that legacy would have been perfect for me. Do you have any suggestions of where I may look for something that would work for me now that Evernote has changed?

Thank you 

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Alessandra said:

The update you mention is not available in my region yet. I will wait.

To get the latest version now you need to download from evernote.com not via the options inside the program.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Alessandra said:

I can't help myself but note that legacy would have been perfect for me

Actually,  no it would not.  If you had any computer issues or were somehow signed out of Legacy you would be unable to regain access without an internet connection.

5 hours ago, Alessandra said:

any suggestions of where I may look for something that would work

It really depends on what you plan to do - any word-processor saving to local storage will save your typed content;  there are thousands of diary apps (or even a real diary!) for shorter notes.

• Solution

Joplin has excellent offline functionality as I believe it was originally intended as an offline-only service. If you want to utilize it on multiple devices you will either need to pay for their cloud service (which handles syncing very nicely and has been rock solid for me so far) or set up your own sync via Dropbox or similar.

• Like 1