Can't login to Windows App - latest version / Windows 11

With the latest Windows App to login it opens a browser separately to the app and asks you to login - which I do using username and password (this works fine for Web Evernote).   I then get redirected back to the App which just sits there saying:   "Signing in… If the sign in process fails in your browser you may need to close this window and try again" and never logs in.   I use Windows 11 and have the most recent App installed.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

I have Windows 11 and tend to be permanently signed into my account - I just quit the app rather than signing out. 

From what you say it's possible that you have a corrupted install - I'd suggest using Revo Uninstaller to completely zap your current install and then a power off/ on and reinstall from Evernote.com.

When I attempt to sign in to the Evernote app on Windows 11 I see the following error message, "Signing in… If the sign in process fails in your browser you may need to close this window and try again." Nothing further happens.
I have tried restarting my laptop, uninstalling Evernote, uninstalling using Revo Uninstaller etc. 

I have the same problem.

I've followed all of the recommended steps (i.e. revo uninstaller, reinstall, etc) but it just hangs at the sign in page (screenshot attached).

2024-05-25_15-50-error-evernote-signin.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Have you been taken through the 'are you human?' process?  There should be a series of pop-up odd-one-out captchas.  If you're not seeing the extra windows,  you may have a pop-up blocker interfering with your sign-in.

• Like 1

Problem solved! I use Brave browser and it was interfering with the sign in process. Thanks @gazumped!

DETAILS

Windows

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎2023-‎07-‎20
OS build    19045.4412
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0

Evernote

10.89.2-win-ddl-public (20240523113635)
Editor: v178.2.0
Service: v1.107.2
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Brave
Version 1.66.110 Chromium: 125.0.6422.60 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I haven't been able to use web for months. I've tried reinstall. It will not sign me in. I'm annoyed because this is the primary reason I chose evernote over other apps, so I can use on desktop not just mobile for work. This is becoming an issue I can no longer work with. And unfortunately all my notes are in the app now.. that I cannot access when I need to. 

@wanageeska thanks so much, I use Brave too. But...I've tried putting evernote.com into several of the "white list" lists but still Evernote login is not working. Any chance you can mention which places you entered evernote.com and any other changes to make this work?

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Robert1984 said:

@wanageeska thanks so much, I use Brave too. But...I've tried putting evernote.com into several of the "white list" lists but still Evernote login is not working. Any chance you can mention which places you entered evernote.com and any other changes to make this work?

Thanks.

@Robert1984 I'm only new to brave so I'm probably not the best one to ask for details. But all I did was disable Brave's 'Shields' by pressing the little orange Brave logo at the end of the address bar and then logged in, and then everything seemed to proceed as expected.

I'll attach a couple of screenshots showing the 'Shields' logo I'm referring to for anyone else who might end up reading this.

2024-05-28_14-23-en-brave-shields-up.png

2024-05-28_14-26-en-brave-shields-down.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Such a horrible user interface design by Evernote to make the login dependent on your browser and possibly browser settings. 

I had the same problem on Windows 10 with Brave browser and wasted time trying to login to Evernote half a dozen times. Evernote logins had been working fine for over 10 years on Windows, macOS, iOS and Android. I am always astonished by the unnecessary and badly thought out GUI changes made by companies such as Evernote. Why change it for the worse??

Thankfully wanageeska's solution worked:

11 hours ago, wanageeska said:

Problem solved! I use Brave browser and it was interfering with the sign in process. Thanks @gazumped!

... all I did was disable Brave's 'Shields' by pressing the little orange Brave logo at the end of the address bar and then logged in, and then everything seemed to proceed as expected.

DETAILS

Windows

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎2023-‎07-‎20
OS build    19045.4412
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0

Evernote

10.89.2-win-ddl-public (20240523113635)
Editor: v178.2.0
Service: v1.107.2
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Brave
Version 1.66.110 Chromium: 125.0.6422.60 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Level 5

Probably it’s no decision by EN. The Electron framework used to nest the EN app is based on Chromium, same as the Brave browser (and a number of other „independent“ browsers).

Maybe the Chromium engine and it’s settings is installed only once on a computer (which would be reasonable, the more because everything related to Chrome is a 1st class energy and storage hog).

Cant tell for sure, but good to remember for future cases.

16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably it’s no decision by EN. The Electron framework used to nest the EN app is based on Chromium, same as the Brave browser (and a number of other „independent“ browsers).

Whatever the technical reason, it is really badly implemented. I also cannot believe a local login from within Evernote would not be possible using the Electron framework. I tested this on macOS as well, and the same bad behavior occurs when it tries to login via Brave.

Evernote waits indefinitely for the browser and offers no useful help whatsoever, except suggesting to restart and try again (which does not help). As a temporary workaround, they could have a timeout of one minute and suggest to turn off the adblocker. Restoring an Evernote based login within the application should be the proper solution, without dependence on other browsers.

Also Evernote will try login with whatever browser is the OS default. This could be a Chromium based one or Firefox or Safari among others. There should be no dependence on a specific browser or specific browser settings.

• Level 5

Brave broke the login, that’s quite sure. The quest for safe browsing can cause unexpected side effects (LOL - privacy by using the web engine build by Google, one of the most privacy avers companies in the world).

For now I think you need to use a different browser as default. And good luck with the support channels.

• Confused 1

I'm sorry in return - hundreds of apps and websites used - Evernote is the only one that doesn't work with privacy. I'm not going to change a default private browser just because of one poorly designed app.

• 1 month later...

I am probably late with my response, but it is because pop up windows are blocked in your default browser. I ran into the same issue (Firefox being my default browser on Win11). I tried everythong, reinstalling, switching default browsers and nothing helped.  Allowing pop up windows for evernote.com solved the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.
So I'm new to the same problem.
Premium user.
I've allowed pop-ups on Chrome. Didn't work.
I've set Edge as the default and cleared the cache. Allowed pop-ups. Doesn't work.
I don't mind exporting notepads one by one. But not create new ones in the other app from scratch.
Any new workarounds?

How can it be so difficult to make a decent login.

Same problem here newest Win 11 , Edge browser and nothing helps

First time it asked if it can open evernote, which to i answered "always".

Since then nothing worked. I start evernote, say login, it switches to Edge. I login. Sometimes with capchas, sometime without. Then it switches back to evernote and stays in "Signing in" forever. Reboot, reinstall, delete %AppData%, clear cookies, allow popups, nothing helps. Used several hours of my valuable working time for this ***** :( 

The reason i did remove all data and reinstall was that Evernote crashed all the time, hanging, being crazy instable. And now it does not work at all as i cannot login, great product :(

And stop updating it all the time. I want to keep a stable working version. Make a BETA version for those who like to test your new stuff. I dont care about new functions, i want to edit my notes and that's it!!!

image.thumb.png.9ee8a4f5430e8c3d96e629fb760963bf.png

So the soltution was to install chrome, change default browser in settings and then close Evernote and then login again in chrome

What a super login

This cost me a load of money in waisted work time, i hate this update all the time, can we not make a vote on it?

image.thumb.png.99a85b79a1b35cda555ddfc4d240c207.png

• Like 1

And what is it with the capchas? I hate those blasted things. I sign in with a VPN. Get over it. Quit adding features that I have no interest in. Quit doing updates I have no interest in. Do all of that in a beta form and let people choose if they want to play.