you don't have access to this note

I have various links in my notebooks to other notes and when I click on them, I get a strange message: "you don't have access to this note".

That makes no sense. I am the owner of all the notes and do not share with others, so who does have acess to my note and where is it now?

It also does not show up in searches. I know I did not delete it.

• Sad 1

I have a note in my "shared with me" folder that can't be opened nor removed. (Shared from another account, where the original note has been deleted a long time ago). Very annoying.

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, these orphaned notes are very annoying.

I just noticed that the shared note you linked in the Scansnap thread appeared greyed out in my shared-with-me notebook and is not accessible in any way, same as all other notes that have been shared with me.Ā 
These notes have not been deleted by their respective owners yet, so should not be orphaned.

• Level 5

No, the share I posted last is still active. The first link didnā€™t work, Ā no idea why.

To orphan a link the base note must be deleted, without removing the sharing first. When the sharing was removed before deleting the note it will not be orphaned.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No, the share I posted last is still active.

I know, I can open it in a browser. But it has the option to open it in V10 as a shared note. It shows in ā€šshared with meā€˜ but is greyed out and canā€˜t be opened.

• 3 months later...

Coming here is a last resort but I am getting the messageĀ "you don't have access to this note" again.Ā 

Searching the 'help' and even the forums with the pfrase gave no results and attempts to reach support send me in a loop.

My installation is standalone and I have no sharing or interest in such. These are my notes, or I thought they were.

Is there some known explanation for this message?

Ā 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, allendick said:

Coming here is a last resort but I am getting the messageĀ "you don't have access to this note" again.

Welcome back to the den of snakes.

Which desktop/mobile device are you trying to access the note from? Ā Can you access the note when logged into Evernote using the web browser?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, allendick said:

Desktop Win 11 all up to date.

Ok, so if I understand correctly, the "you don't have access" message is seen when trying to click on links to other notes, is that correct?

We still need an answer to my other question:

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Can you access the note when logged into Evernote using the web browser?

If the problem exists when using Evernote via your web browser then I'm out of ideas and, unless others have any ideas, it is support ticket time, unfortunately.

If it works correctly from your web browser then that points to a problem with your Windows installation. Ā I have three ideas here, from easiest to hardest:

1. As PE mentioned, sign out, keeping your backup, and then sign back in. Ā Maybe that will be enough. Ā If not,

2. sign out and when it asks you to keep the local backup, select the remove my Evernote data option.

image.thumb.png.b525a5030b30d243274241c08647e774.png

Sign back in and it will rebuild your Windows database. Ā  Depending on the size of your database it could take a while to completely rebuild it, but it should be useable fairly soon.

3. If neither of those works, then it is time for the nuclear option. Ā Uninstall using Revo. Ā A general uninstall likely will not work, you need to use Revo. Ā Then reinstall.

Good luck.

• Like 1

If it happens in the web browser time to take screenshots of it happening IN the browser and opening a ticket because that is an issue on the server at that point. Maybe a corrupted shard. Hopefully it's only happening in one client.

• Like 1

It happens on the website, too.Ā 

I don't need that note but I wonder what else is lost, and why I would need permission to see my own note since I am the only user of my account and am admin on my computer.Ā Ā 

As for submitting a ticket, I tried to, but attempts to reach support just looped.

Thanks for the responses, but I really don't have time to go on a snipe hunt to try to fix what is probably a minor issue and could chage next week.

I just try to overlook all the Ā various inconveniences as they pop up, but seeing as this one is peculiar, I thought I'd ask, especially since a search of the site for the phrase turned up nothing. (including this thread)

Thanks again.Ā  Good advice and I would have done it already, but have learned in the past that if the issue is the software, it is just a waste of my time and I won't know until I've done all the various tricks and find notng has changed.

• Level 5

It is perfectly understandable not to issue a support ticket - the process takes several steps, and they ask for a ton of information, which takes up quite some time to collect and provide. I just want to remind as well when no tickets are issued, the problem may persist or even get worse.

Personal decision, I think.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, allendick said:

It happens on the website, too.Ā 

I don't need that note but I wonder what else is lost

Is the note actually missing or is it the link to the note that is broken? Ā Can you find the note if you search for the note title instead of using the link? Ā If the note is missing, is this a recent note or one that you haven't used in a while? Ā I ask because over the past year, Evernote has made some major changes to their backend software and it was not without problems. Ā Others have reported missing data in the past but I haven't noticed any recent posts.

I cannot see it anywhere. Does it exist?Ā  I don't know but that message is peculiar.It makes no sense. It suggests it does exist. Probably doesn't.

At any rate, I don't care and have no time to spend troubleshooting software.Ā  Ā I did too much of that inĀ  a past life.

Again, thanks, but I am moving on.

Just a thought, could this be a link to a note that at some point may have been unintentionally deleted? If it can't be found anywhere could this be an accidental delete keystroke that sent the note to the trash and eventually when the trash was emptied the note was lost? I'm not saying this happened but you'd think you'd be able to find the note, even if it doesn't open because it's corrupted.