Search Syntax To Exclude Word as Part of a Bigger Word?

I'm doing a search for the word "lap" on Evernote for Mac. I keep getting results for any word with those letters, like "laptop" or "lapping." But I specifically want the separate word "lap." I tried putting quotes around it but that doesn't ix it.

Is there a certain syntax for doing this?

Thanks!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, KenTheriot said:

I tried putting quotes around it but that doesn't ix it.

Did you add a trailing space?  "lap "

11 hours ago, KenTheriot said:

I'm doing a search for the word "lap" on Evernote for Mac. I keep getting results for any word with those letters, like "laptop" or "lapping." But I specifically want the separate word "lap." I tried putting quotes around it but that doesn't ix it.

Is there a certain syntax for doing this?

Thanks!

I can replicate your issue and it's inconsistent depending on the word chosen.

I tried with my own notes:

• Given content that contains the word guidelinesguideline matched, but "guideline" doesn't
  • Given content that contains the word learning, both learn and "learn" matched

Previously Evernote only included words that started with some characters if you appended a *. Now it (generally) seems to include words starting with the characters whether you add a * or not. The only thing I can think of is to specifically exclude the words you don't want. You could progressively build up the search as you come across a word . So in your case you would end up with 

lap -laptop -lapping

The use of an asterix might help. So in my testing

teach -teacher*

excuded both teacher and teachers

• Like 1
13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Did you add a trailing space?  "lap "

Yeah, this works perfectly on my windows client too:  add a trailing space and put your search term between double quotes :  "lap "

4 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Yeah, this works perfectly on my windows client:  put your search term between double quotes and add a trailing space:  "lap "

Doesn't work for me. I get an unholy mess of correct results, results that have the letters followed by others and results where Find on the page can't even find the result!

image.png.dade6bb16d24334693b4caf21bc2b145.png

9 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Doesn't work for me. I get an unholy mess of correct results, results that have the letters followed by others and results where Find on the page can't even find the result!

image.png.dade6bb16d24334693b4caf21bc2b145.png

Well, I did some extra tests and I must admit that it's unpredictable: sometimes I also get many notes that don't contain the search string at all (at least according the note search). 

It seems that search has become unreliable now

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, eric99 said:

It seems that search has become unreliable now

And that was one of the main reasons why Apple Notes could not compete with Evernote. But the latest version DOES have search. How long until that free program/app for Apple users is a suitable alternative to Evernote?

• Level 5

This is something anybody has to decide for himself. The main issue with Apple Notes for many users is probably that it works in the Apple ecosystem only.