search feature in desktop version unpleasant

I REALLY don't like the new search box in the desktop version.  This is because after you enter the search term the box creates a new box with filters that is distracting.  Go back to the old version. 

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The filters are fine, they often help to cut a search short.

The filters are fine, I agree.

But the rest of the search is not.

- In v6 a search inside a note showed all hits as yellow marks in the scrollbar - very convenient, but gone in v10

- If you want to search just within one notebook, you select the notebook and then search. Ok. But if you just clear the search field, then the selection of note book goes away too - very inconvenient in v10

Ymmv

8 minutes ago, Farbauti said:

- If you want to search just within one notebook, you select the notebook and then search. Ok. But if you just clear the search field, then the selection of note book goes away too - very inconvenient in v10

I agree that this doesn't seem very logical. When you search within a notebook the notebook is converted into a filter and appears as a blue lozenge at the top of the results. So while you may quite reasonably think you are "in" a notebook EN thinks you are in "Notes" filtered by notebook. So clearing the search takes you to all notes. The alternative is to clear the search by actually clicking the note book icon (in the sidebar or in the breadcrumbs at the top of a note)

Not trying to justify the behaviour just trying to explain why to EN it might seem quite logical.

• Like 1

It's also odd and confusing that there is no "search" button to click.

A typical use case of mine when I search in any tool except EN client v10-latest/Win:

• Click in the search box (mouse in right hand)
  • Ctrl+v (left hand)
  • Click the search button (mouse in right hand)

In EN client v10-latest/Win:

• Click in the search box (mouse in right hand)
  • Ctrl+v (left hand)
  • Let go of the mouse (right hand)
  • Hit enter (right hand)
  • Grab mouse again (right hand)

Another inconvenience in EN v10/Win client :(

I don't like the search box because it cannot be handled only with the keyboard in all cases

• To open the search box, I use {Ctrl-Numpad-Minus} (this is OK - other may like Default {Win-Shift-F})
  • To enter the search phrase, just type or use {Ctrl-V} (OK)

But

• If you're coming from a saved search, it sometimes already contains parts of the saved search phrase
    • ... so you have to be careful to either append anything or enter completely new text.
  • If you're coming from a notebook, you cannot use {Tab} to toggle from "only within notebook" to "everywhere"
    • these are button on the next line... - a {Tab} should  move you to this line to select what you want
  • Sometimes a list of suggested Filters are displayed on the bottom of the dialog
    • but it is impossible to to to these Filter lines by using {Tab} and then select a filter by using {Up}, {Down} or {Space} keys.

If you try to use {Tab} to circle around the dialog fields, the focus jumps to many other elements of the EN window - common use of {Tab} inside a dialog should not leave the dialog but has to cirle around all dialog elements.

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Ctrl-Q/cmd-J - enter search term - Enter

OK - another way to execute searches (but it's called "Change to note" I guess)

But:

• this keystroke doesn't work if you're inside a note's text 😞 
  • it doesn't reuse already entered phrases (i.e. from favorites) to refine them

So the better way to search should be to use the search dialog. If it works fine (at the end in some months?), it offers all we need (last and saved searches, goto..., add filters, ...)

Let's make EN a great search engine again!

22 hours ago, AlbertR said:

If you're coming from a saved search, it sometimes already contains parts of the saved search phrase

• ... so you have to be careful to either append anything or enter completely new text.

I think this is just a feature of Evernote's decision (which I like, but others hate) of not highlighting the text when you open the search bar after a search. My solution is shift+Home to highlight the text if I want a completely new search.

If you're coming from a notebook, you cannot use {Tab} to toggle from "only within notebook" to "everywhere"

• these are button on the next line... - a {Tab} should  move you to this line to select what you want

For me hitting the down arrow twice and then enter selects "everywhere". This seems related to the issue where if you click a tag in a note it is selected but there is no visible indication that it is.

Sometimes a list of suggested Filters are displayed on the bottom of the dialog

• but it is impossible to to to these Filter lines by using {Tab} and then select a filter by using {Up}, {Down} or {Space} keys.

Again for me three down arrows take me to the top of the sugested list. Subsequent up and down arrows move through the list.